• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comic books... What's worth reading for a guy just getting started?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AniHawk

I just finished reading Kingdom Come and Teen Titans: A Kid's Game. Really enjoyed TT, not really so much KC (though it had the best drawn art I've ever seen- but it might be one of those things that grows on me). Since I just basically started with just these two, what else out there is worthwhile? Besides TT, I'm interested in the Spider-Man and Batman universe.

nomoment

Start with ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN, MK: SPIDER-MAN, GOTHAM CENTRAL, and ASTONISHING X-MEN.

These should be enough to keep you busy, for a while.

I really like Robin. Its got some stuff being shook up (a new Robin) with Tim being benched for the time being. Its got energy, color and is really helping to give much needed background to The Spoiler.

I want to pick up Batgirl but money is seriously an issue these days.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
For Ultimate Spider-Man get this:

7870484.jpg

Barnes and Noble has it for $40. It contains the first three hard covers.

nomoment

Screaming_Gremlin said:
nomoment, I saw you recommended Astonishing X-Men, but what about Ultimate X-Men? Is it any good?
I'm not a big fan of Ultimate X-Men. The Ultimate versions of the X-Men seem too much like desperate versions of the original X-Men, trying to make themselves seem relevant for the twenty-first century. (When in fact, the original versions of the characters were fine to begin with)

Plus, most creators (see: Millar, Bendis) seem to do their worst work in the title. People have been telling me Brian K. Vaughan's run has been good, though. I wouldn't buy the book myself, but if you do want to try it out, you can read Ultimate X-Men #46 and #50 for free, right here and here.

nitewulf

so, the ultimate spider man is...? a retelling of the whole series? does the one posted have color artwork?
i'm clueless about these things you see, but wouldnt mind starting to buy a few.

nomoment

nitewulf said:
so, the ultimate spider man is...? a retelling of the whole series? does the one posted have color artwork?
i'm clueless about these things you see, but wouldnt mind starting to buy a few.
Ultimate Spider-Man is a retelling... in a sense. More of a "reimagining," where the some of the fundamental aspects of the Spider-Man canon are similar, but also different in a deliberate attempt to be "modernized" for today's audience. It's probably the title that's the closest to the Spider-Man movies, and it'd definitely be the Spider-title I'd recommend to new readers.

And yes, it's in full-color. And the writing is astounding. Buy that hardcover that was linked to, a few posts back. You won't regret it.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Argh you did not enjoy KC. :(

I've mostly been reading Batman as of late, Jeph Loeb/Tim Sale books and Frank Miller's books are what I have found to be the best (Excluding Dark Knight Strikes Again). I'd suggest starting with Batman: Year One. It's an awesome book.

AniHawk

Wellington said:
Argh you did not enjoy KC. :(

I've mostly been reading Batman as of late, Jeph Loeb/Tim Sale books and Frank Miller's books are what I have found to be the best (Excluding Dark Knight Strikes Again). I'd suggest starting with Batman: Year One. It's an awesome book.

I liked KC, just not on the level I thought I would. I don't think I missed any deep hidden message. It was really preachy... and
the whole thing of the Gulag seemed really unSuperman-like to me. Another thing was I didn't really know a lot of the characters (like Captain Marvel... and I thought the Sandman was a Marvel universe character), and I don't like Wonder Woman. Captain Marvel's fight with Superman was great, kinda creepy.

I wished they'd done more with Dick Grayson and Bruce. A while back I read up on the three Robins and their relationship with Batman, and it sounded like Dick's was the most strained.

But like I said, it's probably one of those things which will grow on me once I let it sink in. I read all of it yesterday. The art was awesome too.

As far as Batman's concerned, how was The Dark Knight Returns? And thanks for the recommendations.

nomoment

Wellington said:
Frank Miller's books are what I have found to be the best (Excluding Dark Knight Strikes Again).

NEVER listen to Matlock again! I can't believe you bought DKSA, Wellington.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
nomoment said:
NEVER listen to Matlock again! I can't believe you bought DKSA, Wellington.

I've learned my fucking lesson dude. It's far and away the worst thing I've ever tried to read. Tried to read is right, too, considering the art was so painfully bad it was distracting.

I didn't want to start a new thread just for that, but are they gonna release a Red Zone (Avengers Vol.3 65-70 IIRC) TPB or should I track the numbers down?

Tamanon

Banned
I'm not a HUGE comics fan, but I really enjoyed Batman The Long Halloween and Child of Dreams. I thought the Long Halloween was a very creative series and had great pacing to it.

nomoment

Littleberu said:
I didn't want to start a new thread just for that, but are they gonna release a Red Zone (Avengers Vol.3 65-70 IIRC) TPB or should I track the numbers down?
Yup, Red Zone (#64-70) has been collected. The TPB came out about 6 months ago, IIRC.

mattx5

Marvels
Ultimate Spider-Man Collection
Spider-Man: Blue
A Superman for All Seasons
Superman: Red Son
Batman: Year One
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
Batman: The Long Halloween
Watchmen
Sin City

You can`t go wrong with any of those.

Alucard

Banned
Nomo's suggestions are all good if you're just getting started. Ultimate Spider-Man would probably be the best place to start. That hardcover looks badass.

Yossarian

Nomo is right- Bendis' ultimate Spidey is awesome. Ultimates and Ultimate X-men suck in comparison. Other than Nomo's suggestions (which were excellent), I'd add Fables. Its Vertigo, so not superhero fair, but its till relatively easy to get into and really good.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
Another Vertigo title I would recommend (again assuming you want anything that is non-superhero) is Transmetropolitan. It has a real Hunter S. Thompson vibe to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom