• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comics Day - August 28, 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seth C

CONAN #7 (Maybe the best comic out right now)
FLASH #213 (Maybe the best superhero comic out right now)
INCREDIBLE HULK #76 (Probably dropping it)
ULTIMATE FANTASTIC FOUR #10 (Worth reading, but...)
AUTHORITY MORE KEV #3 (Putting it in my folder for later)
ASTONISHING X-MEN #4 (Putting it in my folder for later)

Better than the last two weeks, but it's being propped up by 2 outstanding books.

Firest0rm

MAY042605 TRANSFORMERS GENERATION ONE VOL 3 #7 $2.95

Huh? why is this on the list, its so old. How does this list work. I wanna know when the next Gen One comic comes out.

We3.
ASTONISHING X-MEN #4

Dropping UFF. Had it with that shit. Ellis is phoning it in, and I'm not liking Immomen on the book at all. UFF was a bad idea to begin with, and the execution has been pretty weak all around.

We3 is all that matters, anyway.

MASB

PREVIEWS VOL XIV #9
CONAN #7
UNCLE SCROOGE #333
WALT DISNEYS COMICS AND STORIES #648

I might pick up a few Marvel titles, but I haven't decided which ones yet.

BTW, I must say that the signed Rob Liefield sketchbook is mighty tempting. ;)

nomoment

Thanks for posting this week, Spike.

My list:

FLASH #213
LOSERS #15
SLEEPER SEASON TWO #3 (Of 12)
WE 3 #1 (Of 3)
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #511
ASTONISHING X-MEN #4
X-STATIX #26

Awesome week.

lordmrw

CONAN #7
BATMAN #631
FLASH #213
SUPERMAN #208
WE 3 #1 (Of 3)
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #511
ASTONISHING X-MEN #4
WIZARD COMICS MAGAZINE #156 SUPERMAN BATMAN CVR
SILENT HILL DYING INSIDE TP
TRANSFORMERS GENERATION ONE VOL 3 #7

WE 3 looks too god damn weird to pass up, and plus its by Morrison, so at least there'll be a story to back up the weirdness. I've been itching for the next issue of Amazing; I think the only thing I'm anticipating more is Identity Crisis #4. And I have to say that this one damn near made me loose a kidney:

ROB LIEFELD SKETCHBOOK VOL 1

You have got to be fucking kidding me.

FnordChan

Here we go:

Promethea #31 - The penultimate issue of a truly astounding series; I'm sad to see Promethea go, but, by God it's ending on a high note.

Sleeper Vol. 2, #3 - 'Nuff said.

We 3 #1 (of 3) - Should be fantstic, and if it isn't, hey, it's only three issues.

Wonder Woman #207 - Should be mediocre, but at this point I'm curious enough to see the resolution of the Medusa arc, no matter how lame it gets. Sigh.

Deep Sleeper #3 (of 4) - An excellent horror miniseries, visceral as all hell and with a wild premise.

Astonishing X-Men #4 - Hey, look, more variant covers. Woo.

Ultimate Fantastic Four #10 - While I generally agree with Chesapeake Silt, I'm not quite ready to bail on this just yet. Soon, probably, but not just yet.

X-Statix #26 - Farewell, X-Statix, you leave us far too early. Fortunatly, Doop already has his next gig lined up:

doop-avengers.jpg

FnordChan

Alucard

Banned
Shit, I'm going to be a busy boy this week since I still haven't picked up all my stuff from the week before. Soooooo...

WE3 #1 (looks weird and fun?)
Astonishing X-Men #4 (damn variant covers...I only want one but this might suck out a bit more money from me than expected)
Guardians #3 (you suck if you haven't at least looked at this. Seriously, it's good, it's fun, it's the perfect substitute for Runaways)
Mystique #18 (I'm done with the title after this issue. It's fun and like a light snack, but with school starting I NEED to drop some titles. This is first on the chopping block)
Ojo #1 (Might pick it up. I'm still not sure...it's a money thing. But...it's Oni Press!)

I think that's about it for the week. I've still got to pick up Ex Machina #3.

Usagi Yojimbo #78

Don't see much else I get on there, but Four Constables vol 3 should be out soon, as well as Suikoden 3 vol 3.

All I see is... Conan #7, and I think I ordered Superman #208 too. Is that the one where the JLA shows up? I don't give a rat's ass about the story, I just wanna see Jim Lee draw the JLA.

Spike Spiegel said:
All I see is... Conan #7, and I think I ordered Superman #208 too. Is that the one where the JLA shows up? I don't give a rat's ass about the story, I just wanna see Jim Lee draw the JLA.

Yop, that's the one.

let's see now....

BATMAN #631 *no single issue stories? ugh.... not gertting bought but i am a sucker sometimes...

CATWOMAN #34 still part of this whole war storyline i think....

FLASH #213 *woo, thank god. a great comic....

GREEN LANTERN #180 * HIT THE ROAD JACK, AND DONT YOU COME BACK NO MORE NO MORE. HIT THE ROAD JACK, AND DONT YOU COME BACK NO MORE....*

LEGION #38 *gonna miss dan abnnet and andy lanning, they are certainly better than mark waid. but at least barry kitson is on board so it's not a complete loss.

SUPERMAN #208 * JLA: stop acting like bush. SUPERMAN: UP YOURS WANKERS!!! hillarity and a bloody battle are gonna ensue.

WE 3 #1 (Of 3) (MR) *this bizarro anime crap better eb worth it or i'm gonna pund mono into submission.

WONDER WOMAN #207

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #511 *i promised mono i'd read the book and i'm keeping my word.

I'm not gonna start a new thread about this, but : What is the best AND cheapest place on the internet to find Back-Issue, of say, comics like Avengers (West Coast Avengers too) and Fantastic Four? I tried Ebay, but most of the time I'm being outbidded by some crazy guys who wants to buy Avengers 223 at 11$ USD. Wtf. Keep in mind that I don't care about NM ou M condition, I just want to read them.

Inspired by PopCultureShock.com... worst comic book of the week: Rob Liefeld's Sketchbook, vol. 1 or Chuck Austen's Worldwatch #1? As much as the sight of a baby with bigger biceps than mine freaks me out, I've gotta go with Austen and his juvenile, sexed-up ripoff/parody/satire of The Authority, which itself was already a ripoff/parody/satire of the JLA.

CONAN #7 = Best comic of the week, without a doubt. Everything about it was just so... right. Busiek has crafted a wonderfully appropriate end to the first story arc, and Nord's artwork is superb as usual. You can just feel the essence of Conan in this comic. Seriously, this title needs to be on everyone's pull list.

EDIT: How awesome was that scene when...

...Conan tracks down the traitor Sjarl, and before Sjarl can even finish his little speech Conan damn near cuts him in half in single-panel, full-page glory? And then Conan runs down that other traitorous sh*t before he can get away, and the guy's laying there on the ground trying to put all the blame on Sjarl, and Conan's so shocked and pissed off at what he's hearing that he just shoves his sword through the guy's mouth? The violence and intensity was almost palpable!

At the other end of the spectrum, SUPERMAN #208 was a total waste of money. The cover hinted at an impending conflict between Supes and the JLA, and sure enough there is one... too bad it's a contest of wills. They only show up for a few pages, and all they do is talk to S. Lame. And when it comes to drawing the JLA, nobody - not even Jim Lee - does a better job than Doug Mahnke.

I also picked up ASTONISHING X-MEN #4, for this issue's "surprise" ending: the inexplicable return of
Colossus.
Maybe it'll be worth something in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom