• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Computer problem: IT WON'T TURN ON!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a fairly old computer that has been sitting in my room for awhile. It is a HP Pavilion 8650C. The last time I turned it on was probably around 3 or 4 months ago. Well, I'm headed to college in a couple of days and it turns out I'm taking that computer for the first year while my parents try to get some money to buy me a computer next year.

However, when I tried to turn the computer on, nothing happens. I tried disconnecting the computer and reconnecting everything to see if that helped. Nothing. I tried another power cable. I tried plugging the power cable directly into the wall rather than through the surge protector. Nothing. The monitor works fine.

So, I've been reading around and I found it may be one of these...

1) The inside of my computer is dusty. Is it wishful thinking to think that maybe all I need is to clean it out?
2) The power supply is dead.
3) Something about some cables coming loose and the motherboard. (I was confused with what they were saying)

So, I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on what the problem might be

And how much it would cost, if lets say it was a bad power supply, to take it up to Best Buy. Time is a factor here as I leave Friday morning.

Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

Slo

1) make sure the power switch is wired to the motherboard.
2) try reseting the cmos
3) take it to a local computer shop, most of them will run diagnostics for ~$20

Scoobert

Most likely its a power supply. You can get one for $30-50 and it's easily done by yourself. If you take it to Best Buy they will probably charge you over $100 and then its not really worth it.

Depends really how old your computer is. You could go to CompUSA, buy a power supply and see if it works or not. If it doesn't, you can easily return it. Best Buy won't let you get away with that.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
000000000139_thumb.jpg

The files are in the computer!

DaveH said:
Actually, try cleaning it out. I've seen dusty computers work after a good cleaning.

Dude, no. Just....... no.

Cave, if the puter isn't making any post beeps, it's probably the power supply. Just make sure any switches on the power supply itself isn't turned off first, then go get a new PS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom