• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confirmed: Half-Life 2 preloads start next week

Valve's Doug Lombardi confirms assets for the long-delayed shooter will be loaded onto the developer's Steam download service next week.

Two days after Gabe Newell obliquely mentioned it on the Half-Life 2 Fallout forums, next week's preloading of Half-Life assets has been officially confirmed. "Yes, we plan to start preloading next week," PR director Doug Lombardi told GameSpot.

Valve will only preload textures, audio, and "other stuff that doesn't change," according to Newell. However, the fact that the developer is moving finished Half-Life 2 assets to its Steam download service means the long-delayed shooter must be near gold status. The confirmation lends further credence to rumors that Half-Life 2 will complete its final debug next week and will be submitted to VU Games for approval shortly thereafter.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/08/12/news_6104695.html

sweet

Kon Tiki

Banned
css.jpg

hehehehe. I got my server.

shibbs

Good. Got my radeon 9800 pro card today. They said it would be bundled with a HL2 coupon so i was all exited. And ofcourse... it didnt come with a coupon. I called, they said they will try to send me a coupon anyways but i doubt that will happen. :/

akascream

Banned
Bye bye steam. It's gonna get crushed with people trying to get this game.

Which is why it's smart to let people start downloading art assets now, though I dunno how professional.

"I bought my ATI 9800Pro, I have my free HL2 certificate and I have my art assets downloaded. In another year or so, I should be able to play the game!" :p

Thaedolus

So where do I go to buy HL2 so I can download it when it's ready?

EDIT

Download via Steam. Don't be banning me again bishop

Eric-GCA

Banned
I hope this means that HL2 is nearly complete, I've been anticipating it much more after playing through Doom 3. Its very amazing how no one's seen anything new on this game in so long. But I guess there wasn't much media on Doom 3 until it was released either.

Come on Valve, get it ready!

Thaedolus

shibbs said:
I thought about that. Why would anyone download HL2 through steam, wouldnt that take ages?

I would. It probably would get to me faster than a copy shipped to a store would. Don't underestimate broadband and peer to peer networks

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Steam seems to have had some of its kinks worked out since the atrocious launch, probably thanks in part to the Bit Torrent creator being on the team. Of course, load isn't an issue right now, but will be pretty soon...

I'll be buying a boxed copy.

mattx5

Steam seems to download pretty fast, I re-installed it the other day on my new comp, and it took no more than 5 minutes to download Counterstrike.

Of course, with a few thousand people all downloading at the same time, I'm sure it would slow down just a bit :p

mattx5 said:
Steam seems to download pretty fast, I re-installed it the other day on my new comp, and it took no more than 5 minutes to download Counterstrike.

Of course, with a few thousand people all downloading at the same time, I'm sure it would slow down just a bit :p

Maybe not. You know P2P? I think they'll use this.

Drexon

Banned
Ok, so what exactly is it that's happening tomorrow? Is CS:S coming out, or just some textures and sounds? I got CSCZ with my Radeon 9800 Pro today, and I've started playing a little CS online (I suck, first time) in preparation for CS:S, does this mean I can download this, whatever it is, tomorrow?

epmode

only the beta is being made available. only one map, and i don't think it'll have any of valve's vaunted anti-cheat measures. it'll preload later today, but won't go live until wednesday.

epmode

Zilch said:
When exactly is the pre-load going to start?
when it happens, i'm sure you'll read about it here.
Zilch said:
I'm an ATI voucher holder and I've got nothing so far.
this is probably obvious, but make sure you enter the cd key into steam.

Nester

Stryder said:
Well it's been announced that the CS:Source beta for those who are elegible to receive it has started pre-loading over at www.steampowered.com, has anybody's steam starting loading anything?

I'll have to load up steam when I get home tonight so I have it ready for release. I only play CS on Thursday nights at a LAN, so it'd be nice to have it preloaded before I go over there this Thursday.

Stryder

Did you have to do anything for it to start pre-loading? like add it to your list of games or something, or did it just start pre-loading itself?

SKluck

Banned
Game comes out in less than a month, why have we still not recieved solid details concerning the collector's edition, actual box art, anything?

I never got a voucher. Did you guys get yours in the mail or was it an email? I'm wondering if I used an email address that's no longer active.

-=DoAvl=-

dang! when they said the 18th... they meant not the 18th in Australia. So it would be the 19th. How long is it till the 18th in the states?

Burger

This is what Gabe Newell had to say about the Steam Network.

Right now we have about 60 Steam content servers running around the world. They are throttled to 100 Mbps, but can handle ~800 Mbps if necessary.

In terms of network bandwidth, we're currently running at 4 Gbps, and will boost to 7 Gbps when we start pre-loading. We have the option of increasing that to 14 Gbps with a phone call (admittedly a really expensive phone call).

Since Half-Life 2 is ~2 GB (or 16 Gb) over the wire, we can serve up about a person/second with a complete copy of the game. These are idealized numbers - the real capacity planning numbers are quite a bit lower.

So pre-loading is a good thing, being able to play before you have a complete copy of the game is a good thing, and having buckets and buckets of bandwidth is a good thing. It's interesting that videogames in addition to being a larger aggregate audience than almost any TV show (and a lot of countries total Internet traffic) are also now becoming one of the largest consumers of bandwidth on the net.

Eric-GCA

Banned
So, I'm kind of curious, whats the advantage of getting Half Life 2 via Steam rather than simply just buying a copy at the store when it is released?

epmode

the benefits to the consumer aren't that great. the biggest plus is that you can get the game the instant it's released..

it's better for valve, as they get much more revenue per sale by avoiding traditional distribution costs. if they were smart, they would give a discout on all steam purchases, but i don't think vivendi would like that.

SKluck

Banned
No "insert disc 1 to play" shit.

I wonder if I can steam-stream HL2, and still buy it in the store and not have to actually ever use the discs.

SKluck said:
No "insert disc 1 to play" shit.

I wonder if I can steam-stream HL2, and still buy it in the store and not have to actually ever use the discs.
I'm pretty sure it's set up so that as soon as you put a valid CD-key into steam, you are permanently tied to the key and therefore can download it whenever you want, even if you have a CD version. I may be wrong, but thats how I interpreted it.

Stryder

-=DoAvl=- said:
dang! when they said the 18th... they meant not the 18th in Australia. So it would be the 19th. How long is it till the 18th in the states?
I think us Aussies can expect to be playing at ~1pm on the 19th, our time.

ImNotLikeThem said:
I'm pretty sure it's set up so that as soon as you put a valid CD-key into steam, you are permanently tied to the key and therefore can download it whenever you want, even if you have a CD version. I may be wrong, but thats how I interpreted it.
If that's the case, then I'm definitely buying the boxed version.

Burger

ImNotLikeThem said:

Thats correct. It works the same way as half life 1, your cd key is proof you own HL and as a flow on effect, you own Opposing Force, Counterstrike, Day of Defeat etc etc.

Anywhere in the world if you log on to steam with your account, you can play 'your' games.

You cannot buy HL2 online over steam and recieve a boxed copy I don't believe, could be wrong about that. (ATI voucher holders get to choose).

Top Bottom