• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Convince me not to get a Hi-MD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well ive pretty much made my mind on what im gonna get but i thought might as well be worth a shot to see if u guys have anything that will sway my mind from the MD. Reason im going Hi-MD is cause of the replaceable battery and recording features, but after seeing the 800 model i was turned off cause of the cheap plastic body, and if im gonna spend more money for the solid construct model (900), i wonder what else is out there thats better (no im not getting an Ipod there are better HDD players). So convice me to get something else.

Dilbert

Winged Creature said:
Well ive pretty much made my mind on what im gonna get but i thought might as well be worth a shot to see if u guys have anything that will sway my mind from the MD. So convice me to get something else.
You shouldn't buy a Mini-Disc player because MD proselyzation makes the baby Jesus cry.

(I'm kidding.)

gunstarhero

obiwan.jpg

You don't want to buy a MD Player.

Nos_G

I have seen the 600 up close and for $269 CDN.. it does look plastic-y but it still looks like sex...

Mind you, I only have a basic NetMD, so it took all of my willpower not to just whip out my debit card and buy the damned thing.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Enjoy! For my purposes, I like having my entire music collection available, so a MD player (or low-capacity HDD player) is out. I also don't want to have to mess around with the media -- much more convenient just to have everything in the player, ready to go.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
don't do it.... I owned a Sony MD player that just stopped working after a few months (it had a problem that many other owners were having as well) and Sony basically said F*ck you and wanted me to pay more than the cost of the damned thing to get repaired. Stupid bitches.

Tainty said:
wow, that is one ugle peice of shit.... have fun converting everything to atrac
I know little about mp3 and MD players, but doesn't it convert them automatically during the upload?

Tainty

Mike Works said:
I know little about mp3 and MD players, but doesn't it convert them automatically during the upload?

yes.... but it still adds time to the upload, plus if you want to pull it off again later its still in atrac, plus atrac only goes up to a certain bitrate, and in my experience, vbr mp3's dont always convert correctly, and some mp3's just dont work at all. all in all its FAAAAN-tastic.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Tainty said:
wow, that is one ugly peice of shit.... have fun converting everything to atrac

That's why I leave everything in Atrac, it sounds great. Why would I need mp3s anyway, it's only a format! And atrac3plus 256kbps > *

"yes.... but it still adds time to the upload, plus if you want to pull it off again later its still in atrac, plus atrac only goes up to a certain bitrate,"

ATRAC Bitrates != MP3 bitrates.

Tainty

JeFfRey said:
That's why I leave everything in Atrac, it sounds great. Why would I need mp3s anyway, it's only a format! And atrac3plus 256kbps > *

* > ATRAC

atrac is proprietary, so you cant play it on anything else either... home mp3 server? fuck that... mp3 cd for your car? fuck that.... send my friend a song? fuck that... slap the songs into a burning program to make them into a regular cd? fuck that....

why archive your songs in a format that only works with one devide? I want to be able to listen to my music on other devices that I may get later on, and not strictly be limited to sony in my choices.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
JeFfRey said:

Why? If you EVER want to play the tracks on anything but a Sony player, for one reason.

Yeah, there's not a whole lot of LOSSY codecs that can :p. By the time you've got an MP3 up to FLAC quality, you might as well just go with FLAC.

Tainty

Tre said:
Yeah, there's not a whole lot of LOSSY codecs that can :p. By the time you've got an MP3 up to FLAC quality, you might as well just go with FLAC.

I meant that the Hi-MD player sucks because the only option is ATRAC, and because it can't get to FLAC quality. I meant to say I like FLAC and having the option to use it or something similar of similar quality.

Ah, I see. Supposedly SP is "CD quality," I dunno, though, I never used it lately. I never used SP back when I had the early MDs without LP.

The Hi-MD has linear PCM at 44.1khz in 16bit so if i need lossless i have it. Reason im not going HDD is cause most dont have a replaceable battery and dont have recording options. The replaceable battery is a huge issue for me ( i would go with the Zen but that thing is huge)

Tainty

Winged Creature said:
The Hi-MD has linear PCM at 44.1khz in 16bit so if i need lossless i have it. Reason im not going HDD is cause most dont have a replaceable battery and dont have recording options. The replaceable battery is a huge issue for me ( i would go with the Zen but that thing is huge)

Damn... well I guess the only argument left is the limits of useage of ATRAC.

Tainty

Tre said:
Ah, I see. Supposedly SP is "CD quality," I dunno, though, I never used it lately. I never used SP back when I had the early MDs without LP.

I've heard SP encoded stuff... ehhh, sounds like a high bitrate mp3, which hasn't been, and never will be cd quality.

fart

Savant
actually the biggest argument against it is that the software sucks dick. only a good idea if you need to do field recording (in which case MD is definitely the preferred choice) shit if what you're looking for is a modern day walkman. mp3 player manufacturers have successfully outwalkmanned the walkman.

Malakhov

Banned
open_mouth_ said:
don't do it.... I owned a Sony MD player that just stopped working after a few months (it had a problem that many other owners were having as well) and Sony basically said F*ck you and wanted me to pay more than the cost of the damned thing to get repaired. Stupid bitches.
I've owned one for more than 5 years and I gave it hell and it's still working flawlessly.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Tainty said:
atrac is proprietary, so you cant play it on anything else either... home mp3 server?
Sony's roomlink acts as a tivo and a music interface for your tv and other appliances.

mp3 cd for your car?
You can burn mp3 cds in sonicstage 2.0 as well as atrac cds, which I can read in my car cd player.

send my friend a song?
I don't give songs to my friends since they should buy their own cds as I do.

slap the songs into a burning program to make them into a regular cd?
The function's already included in sonicstage 2.0

Ok, you're right on the limited to sony in your choices, but I like sony's products, they're fashionable.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Winged Creature said:

Just for the record, the iPod's battery IS user-replaceable. The battery will certainly last well beyond your 1 year warranty (and even if it doesn't, battery replacement is included in the warranty anyway). After the warranty expires, you can buy replacement kits to do it yourself, or send your iPod to Apple or one of the cheaper battery replacement services. It's not as huge a deal as some make it out to be. If your primary concern is charge duration for longer times, and not the overall life of the battery itself, the new 4G iPods can run up to 12 hours on a single charge. And beyond that, Belkin sells an external battery pack that provides up to 15 additional hours of play time. So add that to a 4th generation iPod and you're good for 24 hours or more.

SteveMeister said:
Just for the record, the iPod's battery IS user-replaceable. The battery will certainly last well beyond your 1 year warranty (and even if it doesn't, battery replacement is included in the warranty anyway). After the warranty expires, you can buy replacement kits to do it yourself, or send your iPod to Apple or one of the cheaper battery replacement services. It's not as huge a deal as some make it out to be. If your primary concern is charge duration for longer times, and not the overall life of the battery itself, the new 4G iPods can run up to 12 hours on a single charge. And beyond that, Belkin sells an external battery pack that provides up to 15 additional hours of play time. So add that to a 4th generation iPod and you're good for 24 hours or more.

but i cant do quick battery swapping like i can with an MD, plus Ipod doesnt sound as good.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Winged Creature said:
plus Ipod doesnt sound as good.

Meh, that's a matter of opinion. I think my iPod sounds terrific, especially when using the line out (via the dock connector on the bottom) as opposed to the headphone jack on the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom