• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Counter Strike Source. What weapons are overpowered?

Ferrio

Banned
Since I was out of the loop of CS for a long time lots of the weapon properties have changed and other than the select few (autosnipe) I don't know what weapons are considered "overpowered".

Yesterday I got labeled as a "lame shotty n00b" cause I kept killing a guy over and over again with the pump shotgun. Which is weird since that thing has always sucked when I used to play, and I was just fooling around with something other than an AK, colt or aug.

LakeEarth

Ferrio said:
Yesterday I got labeled as a "lame shotty n00b" cause I kept killing a guy over and over again with the pump shotgun.

Welcome to netplay, where doing well = cheap hacker.

Well I'm not sure about Source, but in regular CS I consider AWPs and that Commando sniper rifle to be very cheap, as anyone who's decent can get loads of kills with it. Case in point, you often see people who have been doing badly decide to pull one of these out and suddenly they'll have a decent number of kills. As for the shotgun...it's cheap on enclosed levels, but in large, open levels it probably takes quite abit of skill as you'd have to get close to do any real damage.

Soul4ger

Yeah.. They claim the Auto Shotgun is for "n00bs," I don't know... It has great power, especially up close, so you can just run up to someone and unload and kill them. I used to dominate with the shotty, even from a distance, but I got kicked from so many games for using it that I just gave up. A lot of games outlaw the Auto Shotgun or the AWP.

Soul4ger

Ferrio said:
I was using the pump. I hate the autoshotty

I misread. That's actually more powerful up close than the auto, but it has the entire reloading thing... You find less people who get upset about that gun, but, again, you can just run up to a person and shoot them. I dunno. People don't like being beaten.

royale

In Source, I've noticed ppl are not whoring the AWP as much. I not sure if its harder to snipe now...I've hardly used that gun so I can't really compare with older versions of CS.

There seems to be a better balance in weapon choices, except everyone still uses colt and ak a lot still. Autosniper I think is a little too accurate and powerful now. Seems easier to use the scout as well, I think this is mainly due to slower player movement/bigger hit boxes?

THe Famas(clarion)...is that what its called? Is deadly now too...in burst mode its so accurate from close to mid-range. Very easy to get headshots with it.

The Clarion, but the first CT rifle, with the 3 shot burst mode is very cheap and effective. Good for long range fights and also close on full-auto.

Long range, just take your time and aim for the head, it'll take someone down almost every time.

Ferrio

Banned
I actually like the scout now, it's always been a piece of crap when I used to play. I'll take it over the awp.

firex

AWP and autosniper. you can literally get no kick or recoil from the autosniper just standing still, and the AWP is still pretty much an instant kill.

Drek

The Auto-Shotty has always been a noob gun, like the Aug and the big machine gun, the name of which escapes me at the moment.

Pump shotty though? Thats the weapon of the hardcore. I used to rock some maps hard with pump shotty, and people used to get bitter over the ownage I could hand out since its such a handicap effectively reloading non-stop, but if you got it you flaunt it and some bitches can't handle it. Tell 'em to screw.

Tim

hey guys, just one simple question: What exactly do I need to play counter-strike source? Can I use my old key? And just download it off steam?
Thanks Royale & cb

royale

Your existing HL Key will still work. However, I believe you will still need to buy HL2 to be able to download CS:Source.

Tim said:
hey guys, just one simple question: What exactly do I need to play counter-strike source? Can I use my old key? And just download it off steam?

You need to buy one of the HL2 packages over steam, you'll be able to download and play CS:S and then HL2 and whatever else you got along with it when its released.

SKluck

Banned
Autosnipers are overpowered. Both of them.
AWP is still overpowered.

That is it. Everything else is fine for the most part. Other balance issues are world problems, not specific to weapons. (i.e. the headshot epidemic).

The Scout got a pretty nice boost, but that is completely offset by the fact that it is pretty inaccurate when standing. Even if you are completely still, standing, it can miss by a pretty big margin.

AWP should not be able to fire while moving. One shot kills are fine, but being able to jump in the air and fire with almost 100% accuracy is complete shit.

Autosnipers should have 60-70% power of the scout per shot. Need more recoil as well, but not too much, because that is the entire point of the gun. Automatic sniper.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I see no mention of AK-47 sniping. Looks like they took that out from 1.5 God that gun was lame in past version of normal CS. That shit was pretty much just as powerful as an AWP if used right....so lame.....

Tim

Ak47 sniping? I've no idea what you are talking about and I've played 1.5 to death, care to elaborate?

SKluck

Banned
Nope that is still there. Whatever you are doing, whereever you point the first shot will ALWAYS hit directly on the crosshairs. I don't consider it an issue because every shot after that is completely insane. I still laugh when people fire more than 3 rounds at a time with that thing.

Rorschach

Ferrio said:
I actually like the scout now, it's always been a piece of crap when I used to play. I'll take it over the awp.
Scout isn't what it used to be. It used to be the best answer to lame awpers, but now it's not nearly as accurate or powerful. I used to get no scope headshots with ease. Maybe I need to get used to it in Source, but it doesn't feel nearly as good as it did in 1.5.

AK-47 has always been great, but that's because the Colt is so friggin' awesome. If you're complaining about the AK's range, you should hate the colt too. I LOVE them both, though. :D I'll take a colt over any gun if I'm a T. AK if I'm a CT, but I'd keep the colt 60% of the time.

Deagle still rox too.

The para, glock, and autosnipe got major upgrades this time around.

SKluck said:
AWP should not be able to fire while moving. One shot kills are fine, but being able to jump in the air and fire with almost 100% accuracy is complete shit.

When people do that jump move, they're not actually firing while in the air; it just looks that way to the nekkid eye. They fire when their feet are planted for a split sec (it's crouch jump > release crouch).

Soul4ger said:
The Desert Eagle is my weapon of choice, now. So easy picking people off.
Oh yeah, the deagle is a fucking cannon in disguise. As you say great for picking people off up close or from a distance.

SKluck

Banned
If you can't afford a rifle, get a deagle. SMGs are just pointless.

Scout can do 300 dmg now on NON headshots. The thing is nuts.

Saki

Banned
Flashbangs suck, there's absolutely no skill, you might as well smack their keyboard off their table.

I use the Dual Berrets, SOCOM .45, FAMAS, M4 Carbine, and the 1st and 3rd rifles for the terrorists.
Sometimes the Desert Eagle...

Ferrio said:
I was using the pump. I hate the autoshotty

ahh the m3 the gun of kings. Being good with it ain't easy but its fun stuff when u are. Its called the leione or something like that but it will always be the m3 to me

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Man, I almost miss 1.3 where the Ump was the best "downlow" weapon, ever. I routinely owned people with it (it had a real knack for headshots, and still did somewhat up to 1.5) and was a sure bet to piss everyone off just cuz everyone assumed it was useless. The P228 in 1.3 was equally as silly and still remains one of my all time faves. I really do miss CS. The thing is, I have to upgrade my rig now w/ the release of Source. :-(

WARCOCK

Banned
"that Commando sniper rifle to be very cheap"

You should be shot for saying that. The CT kreig commando is a total peice of shit in versions before Source. The only fucking circumstance i could imagine someone getting a shitload of kills is in a 20+ pub and the whole oppisite team rushes through a narrow choke point. Or in a custom map covering huge distances (i mean awp map distances), to be concise the krieg commando is only efficent from extreme long ranges in 1.5, 1.6(also if you have fucked around with long ranges you will notice that the ak is horribly inaccurate from a big distance.). Anyways i cant wait to try out source, but im seriously doubtful that autosnipers will replace the awps in matches though. Also from what i hear the ak has become more accruate which would make it not only cheaper then the colt but substantially better for bursting/precision shooting (i.e. ak bullets are almost twice as powerful as m4 bullets).

Hooker

No weapon is overpowered, they are all just as deadly in the right hands. I suck with the automatic sniper rifles, but I make grown men cry with the M3 or USP.

About the AK, the AK has ALWAYS been horribly accurate. I can get a headshot faster with an AK over very long distances than it takes to zoom the AWP to it's final zoom. It's all in the sensitivity of your mouse. The lower, the better. Being able to move your crosshair 1 pixel does wonders for your aim.

Shouta

The auto-snipers got powered up? Hmm, I might have to play CS:S just for that since it was my Sniper Rifle choice (SG550 was better for rapid and G3 was better for precision/damage) and was easy to pick off folks with it at medium range.

firex

I use the C90 a lot but that's because I'm still learning maps, and a closeup gun like that means I don't have much choice except to learn routes to sneak up on the other side.

I'm definitely not a great player but the autosniper is just cheap right now. It's the perfect camper weapon because you don't have to do anything but have them in your sights and they're dead. and I still hate the AWP but that's just on principle, I don't like any gun that's a one-shot-kill without a headshot.

WARCOCK

Banned
DONT BE FRONTIN HOOKER UR TALKING TO CAL-M COCK.

Dude im not talking about ak in regular maps, i mean FUCKING LONG RANGE, like in awp map 1 and 2. the biggest distance you can reach in regular maps would have to be either b in cbble or aztec from the dd to the outer entrance of b. And yes AK is probably regarded as the best gun in the game if you sum up all the factors (cost,accuracy,power,range). Its a bitch to spray with.

Also regarding your comment about the "right hands" well its arguable, sure a mac 10 can be deadly if a player can consistently aim the face but i would argue that a m4 in the "right hands" will have a much higher probability of owning a p90 "in the right hands". :p

Comments about sensitivity hold true, low sens is what i would call as the conventional way of playing. I would safely wager that the majority of pros play low sens. Given that i know some cpl people that play with high sens. It depends really on your style.

Rorschach

I find that snipers tend to love the high sensitivity more than others. As for the weapon changes, all I have to say is check for yourself. :p They pretty much backed my para theory, though. The colt is still better for long bursts. You can pretty much get a guaranteed headshot in full burst by aiming the right way (vet cs players know what I mean :p). It's also far more accurate. The major advantage is still the damage, range, and fire rate for the AK.

Hooker

You're right about a Rifle in the right hands would be more effective than a SMG in the same situation. I think this is more of a "bringing a knife to a gunfight" kinda situation though. Mainly due to the fact that rifles do like 3 times as much damage per bullet. Not even a high ROF counters that. (still pissed about his "93 dmg in 8 hits" to the chest area with an MP5")

About the sensitivity issue, a thing that is really common these days is a very low sensitivity but a very high acceleration. Still able to move your crosshair a pixel at a time but turning 3 revolutions when yanking the mouse over the mousepad.

TeTr1C

I used to be an AWP whore before they fixed the thing about firing right after you switch weapons (Deagle/AWp combo :))...but I haven't played CS in months. Now I want Source because it looks so sweet. How much does this cost?

WARCOCK

Banned
I play with acceleration , but in america i think its a common convention that competitive players get the fixes to turn acceleration off :/. Ive never dabbled with these though.

BTW RoF is relative to to the deviation. A higher RoF would be ultimately better then stronger bullets if the deviation of the bullets at each bullet fired was very low. But then the concept of recoil and ballistics in general would be ignored. So I think the correlation is neccesary for the gun hiearchy to make sense. Basically you are choosing on whether you want to fire in a certain radius/approximation or you want exact precision. Obviously its a no brainer between the mp5 and rifles like you said earlier(i.e mp5 is usually employed because of cost or the assumption that adversaries dont have helmets or armor then the RoF really helps in that circumstance.) But i think this debate factors in when comparing the m4 and ak(not that you have a choice, since if your T ur going to end up using the ak, if your CT your going to end up using the m4). The AK is really a bitch to learn how to spray with.

epmode

TeTr1C said:
I used to be an AWP whore before they fixed the thing about firing right after you switch weapons (Deagle/AWp combo :))...but I haven't played CS in months. Now I want Source because it looks so sweet. How much does this cost?
it's included with half-life 2. if you want to play now, order the steam version (for best value, go with silver.)

WARCOCK

Banned
Im examining the data inputed from valve. I found something interesting. Altough im still doubtful on how meaningful this data is. Since they calculated the deviation by measuring the time and distance deltas at every bullet fired. So the meaning varies really on which area you are choosing to fire at and how far you are from the target really. If you are aiming at the body from medium range then a deviation of .1 should not be a problem. But if your going for the head hitbox then you have the vectors of the distances that come into play. Anyways lets take this analysis with a grain of salt, but look at the data below.

Deviation for 30 single shots, 1 second delay:
GoldSrc(1.6) Source
MP5 0.0107 0.01
AK47 0.052 0.05
M4A1 0.0042 0.0038

In other words firing a bullet a second at a time should prove to be an interesting way of shooting. But another issue comes into play. Since the dynamic crosshair this time around varies in phases it might fuck up your perception of where the bullets are going. Anyways im going to explore this method of shooting when i play Source. It could be an interesting way to apply some pressure on a chokepoint with some good precision.

Top Bottom