• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Creature Spotlight #1: Baiji, the Yangtze River Dolphin

Status
Not open for further replies.

happypup

I have been turning over this idea in my head for some time. Thanks to some encouragement I have decided to pull the trigger. Every week or so I will be informally and broadly discussing one of natures incredible creatures. I will be taking my subjects from all three domains of life and will hopefully provide fun, interesting, and sometimes sobering facts about the living world around us.

Today my spotlight falls on Baiji, the Yangtze River Dolphin.

tumblr_mg0gi1KbPa1rl2u3wo1_500.jpg

(baby Baiji, unsourced, no time stamp) edit: being ever wanting to improve myself I did some digging on this picture, it is not a Baiji, rather it was a bottlenose dolphin rescue. I will keep it up because it is cute.

Among the rarest and most threatened living things on the planet, Baiji was declared functionally extinct in 2007 after an extensive collaborative surveying effort. Occasional sightings since then have kept the sliver of hope for saving Baiji from extinction alive and they are still officially classified as critically endangered on the IUCN Red List of Endangered Species. The population has been steadily falling since at least the 1950's and was estimated to be only 13 strong in the 1990's. Breeding programs have been completely unsuccessful as no Baiji have ever been born in captivity and as of right now not a single specimen remains in captivity. Beat Mueller, geochemist at the Swiss Federal Institute of Aquatic Science and Technology and member of the 2006 survey team had this to say about the threats to the Baiji.

The disappearance and extinction of such highly evolved endemic mammals as the white Yangtze River dolphin [baiji], the finless porpoise, or the Chinese sturgeon from the Yangtze River can be attributed to a multitude of circumstances, such as the deterioration and loss of their natural habitats, over fishing of the river, the heavy freight ship traffic, and others

lipotes_vexillifer_large.gif

(Historic range of the Baiji, from edgeofexistence.org)

The Baiji were endemic to the lower and middle Yangtze river system and occupied a vital niche along the 1600 kilometers as a keystone predator. Conservation efforts along the Yangtze river began in the 1970's. Five nature preserves were established and attempts to keep and breed the Baiji in captivity began in earnest. Most of the captive Baiji died in less than a year. Certain fishing practices were also made illegal to almost no effect in the mid 90's. Yet illegal fishing practices, including rolling hook liens and electro-fishing continued to be perhaps the most destructive force to the Baiji's population. Some estimates put 50% of the death rate over the past 40 years on the use of rolling hook lines alone. More extreme conservation efforts were to include a relocation to a well protected and semi natural site on a bend in the Yangtze river proposed by Wang Ding head of the Baiji team at China's Institute of Hydrobiology similar to the somewhat successful program for the finless porpoise, also endemic to the Yangtze river. This program will relocate entire pods of Baiji, if they are ever found again. Wang had this to say to National Geographic in August of 2007 about the extreme preservation efforts proposed by his team.

The chances of saving the baiji are really small, But we have to try our best to save the last baiji, even if we know it may be a mission impossible."

I hope he finds a way to complete his mission.

Although visually similar to other river dolphins genetic studies showed them to be the only species of a unique family of cetaceans that began exploring the Yangtze some 20 million years ago. Like all dolphins they relied heavily on echolocation to find prey. Like most river dolphins their eyes were greatly reduced being all but useless in the murky river habitat in which they once thrived.

LvWangDingHead04.jpg

(Photo by Wang Ding, Institute of Hydrobiology, Chinese Academy of Sciences.)

At around 8 feet long and five hundred pounds they were on the larger size compared to the other three families of still extant river dolphins. They are blue to grey along their backs and very pale along their bellies, which gave rise to one of their other common names the white finned dolphin. Being a very difficult species to study, little was known about their behavior. Calves, measuring only 80–90 centimeters (31–35 in) at birth, were born after 10 to 11 months of gestation. They reached sexual maturity at 4 years. Only two Baiji survived longer than one year in captivity, the most successful died after 22 years, giving us the only estimate for lifespan at around 25 years.

070831-baiji-dolphin_big.jpg

(Photograph © Chinese Academy of Sciences/WWF depicts the Baiji mentioned above)

The National History Museums Farewell to the Baiji

For more reading

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/08/070831-baiji-dolphin.html

http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/species/mammals/cetaceans/chineseriverdolphin.htm

http://www.iucnredlist.org/details/12119/0

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baiji

If you have questions please ask, if you want to provide more detail please do. I am also willing to take suggestions for a Creature Spotlight #2. I promise the next one won't be so depressing.

Thanks to maxcriden and Qasiel for believing this is a worthwhile contribution to a video game forums off topic section. Qasiel You got your dolphin, though I imagine it is bittersweet.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Thanks happypup. This is a great idea for a series of threads and I look forward to future spotlights.

May I suggest spotlighting a few creatures that feature on EDGE (Evolutionarily Distinct and Globally Endangered). Raising awareness of their plight is exactly what many of these species need.

http://www.edgeofexistence.org/index.php

happypup

Edmond Dantès;115134358 said:
Thanks happypup. This is a great idea for a series of threads and I look forward to future spotlights.

May I suggest spotlighting a few creatures that feature on EDGE (Evolutionarily Distinct and Globally Endangered). Raising awareness of their plight is exactly what many of these species need.

http://www.edgeofexistence.org/index.php

You are welcome and Edge was one of my sources for this post. I want to explore a wide range of life's diversity, to talk about both the plentiful and threatened organisms. I am considering doing a fungus for my next thread, though I haven't narrowed down the subject quite yet.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Nice. I was crazy about nature back in my younger days (you could say I still am, seeing as one of the few channels I watch is Eden). Hope to see more on this in the future.

A few suggestions:

Okapi
Golden Toad (went extinct only 25 years after its discovery)
Arabian Oryx (and it's spectacular recovery)
Kakapo (love these little buggers), though I think that Stephen Fry documentary already helped people know.
Giant Salamander
Maleo

happypup

Nice. I was crazy about nature back in my younger days (you could say I still am, seeing as one of the few channels I watch is Eden). Hope to see more on this in the future.

A few suggestions:

Okapi
Golden Toad (went extinct only 25 years after its discovery)
Arabian Oryx (and it's spectacular recovery)
Kakapo (love these little buggers), though I think that Stephen Fry documentary already helped people know.
Giant Salamander
Maleo

Those are some great suggestions. The story of the Arabian Oryx is one I will definitely have to tell. They are so beautiful, and the story of their extinction and recovery sends a clear message, it is never to late to start caring.

maxcriden

This is an amazing thread and I am so glad you made it. I really appreciate you taking the time to write this all up and I am saddened always to learn about the plight of animals in our world. I can only hope somehow that conservation efforts are miraculously successful. Call me an eternal optimist but I'd rather naively hope for the best than ponder the worst. Anyway, I'll greatly look forward to future Creature Spotlights.

happypup

Cool thread. Looks tasty.

Considering we haven't had a verified sighting of one for a decade, How well they taste will probably be lost to time. :(

This is an amazing thread and I am so glad you made it. I really appreciate you taking the time to write this all up and I am saddened always to learn about the plight of animals in our world. I can only hope somehow that conservation efforts are miraculously successful. Call me an eternal optimist but I'd rather naively hope for the best than ponder the worst. Anyway, I'll greatly look forward to future Creature Spotlights.

Stranger things have happened. The important thing to remember about extinction is it has a subtlety of meaning. It doesn't mean all populations of the species are dead, but that all attempts to find a population have failed.

Qasiel

Excellent OP, and thanks for creating it!

I, too, look forward to many more of these in the near future. Great work!

Intriguing idea for a thread series. Spotlighting endangered species and other things that a just weird is a great idea.

Some sea creatures for consideration are coelacanth, oarfish, giant isopod and goblin shark.

And for this dolphin specifically, it does look grim. The problem with river species is they don't have many options when their habitats start being overly used, however this is a huge river.

happypup

Intriguing idea for a thread series. Spotlighting endangered species and other things that a just weird is a great idea.

Some sea creatures for consideration are coelacanth, oarfish, giant isopod and goblin shark.

And for this dolphin specifically, it does look grim. The problem with river species is they don't have many options when their habitats start being overly used, however this is a huge river.

There are a few regions where they could be kept relatively safe, but with so many people living along the Yangtze nowhere is without risk. For the Baiji though the chances of survival can only go up.

My primary research for the past year has been on sharks (well more precisely on early chondrichthyan evolution) so I will definitely be giving them some attention.

There are a few regions where they could be kept relatively safe, but with so many people living along the Yangtze nowhere is without risk. For the Baiji though the chances of survival can only go up.

My primary research for the past year has been on sharks (well more precisely on early chondrichthyan evolution) so I will definitely be giving them some attention.

I love sharks, so I'll definitely look forward to that.

happypup

I love sharks, so I'll definitely look forward to that.

My favorite shark right now (I have grown accustomed to just calling any chondricthyes a shark, though it is terribly inaccurate) is the Bowmouth GuitarFish. They are interesting because they have been particularly difficult to classify.

Bowmouth-guitarfish-swimming.jpg

they also have these amazing chompers

rhina_jaws.jpg

Awesome idea man, as an artist seeing some of the rarer extraordinary species of our planet is very inspiring, keep up the great work.

kswiston

This is an interesting idea for a thread series!

I was pretty sad to hear that the Baiji was declared extinct a few years back. I always thought that they and their amazon cousins were cool.

I was involved in the scientific search for the Ivory-billed Woodpecker in Florida during the mid-late 2000s, a search that ended up with no conclusive proof of the bird (as has been the case in the Arkansas search that originally offered hope that the bird wasn't as extinct as we once believe). It can be incredibly difficult to conclusively prove the disappearance of a species, even in fairly populated areas, such as China or the United States. The IUCN revised the Ivory-billed Woodpeckers status from extinct to critically endangered based on the previous search evidence, but I think that label will be reverted in a future update...

happypup

This is an interesting idea for a thread series!

I was pretty sad to hear that the Baiji was declared extinct a few years back. I always thought that they and their amazon cousins were cool.

I was involved in the scientific search for the Ivory-billed Woodpecker in Florida during the mid-late 2000s, a search that ended up with no conclusive proof of the bird (as has been the case in the Arkansas search that originally offered hope that the bird wasn't as extinct as we once believe). It can be incredibly difficult to conclusively prove the disappearance of a species, even in fairly populated areas, such as China or the United States. The IUCN revised the Ivory-billed Woodpeckers status from extinct to critically endangered based on the previous search evidence, but I think that label will be reverted in a future update...

I purposefully chose the past tense when referring to the Baiji, but I still have hope.

I haven't had a chance to do a field survey (as a Data Analyst my work is best done behind a powerful computer), so I envy you, even if you didn't find the evidence you were looking for.

kswiston

I purposefully chose the past tense when referring to the Baiji, but I still have hope.

I haven't had a chance to do a field survey (as a Data Analyst my work is best done behind a powerful computer), so I envy you, even if you didn't find the evidence you were looking for.

Field research is fun, but not for everyone. I lived in a tent in the middle of a Florida swamp for 4 months straight. If you can handle cold showers once a week at a scuba diving rinse off, latrine toilet pits, no fresh produce/meat, and at least a dozen spider-webs (and spiders) in your face a day, it is fun. I became pretty good at kayaking since the entire place was flooded. The place could be really beautiful as well. I have fond memories of the experience now, but definitely was happy to leave at the time.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Weird.. had a dream about river dolphins last night.

Thread subscribed with my full support :) Thanks!

happypup

Field research is fun, but not for everyone. I lived in a tent in the middle of a Florida swamp for 4 months straight. If you can handle cold showers once a week at a scuba diving rinse off, latrine toilet pits, no fresh produce/meat, and at least a dozen spider-webs (and spiders) in your face a day, it is fun. I became pretty good at kayaking since the entire place was flooded. The place could be really beautiful as well. I have fond memories of the experience now, but definitely was happy to leave at the time.

I have always enjoyed camping, though I have only ever been out for a week or two at the most. four months would probably stretch my limits.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Cool thread.

It really is sad how many species, particularly large species, have fallen into oblivion thanks to humans. Humans kinda suck.

happypup

Cool thread.

It really is sad how many species, particularly large species, have fallen into oblivion thanks to humans. Humans kinda suck.

Humans are pretty incredible at causing extinctions (or they have very bad timing). Extinctions followed the spread of Homo sapiens out of Africa. It is sad, but it is not new.

Platy

Didn't knew other countries had river dolphins !

But our river dolphins are more awesome because they have a pink variety

rSjHgqC.jpg

Google "Amazon River Dolphin" or "boto cor de rosa" for more pics

kswiston

Cool thread.

The concept of conserving rare species is unfortunately a very recent concept that hasn't taken hold in every society yet. The Ivory-billed Woodpecker was driven to extinction/near extinction less than 100 years ago. Originally it was habitat destruction that lead to shrinking populations, but as the birds started to become rare, ornithologists hired hunters to actively shoot them so that they could get a specimen or two for their university's collection before they were all gone. If that was the attitude of the most scientifically educated people, it's no small wonder that the rest of the population didn't care.

Teddy Roosevelt did a ton to start tuning around that sort of thinking in government, but it took many decades before the average person really cared about conserving animals (and you can argue that a great many still don't).

It's not all doom and gloom though. There have been a number of conservation success stories in the past 50 years. Unfortunately the Baiji is probably not going to be one of them.

happypup

Didn't knew other countries had river dolphins !

But our river dolphins are more awesome because they have a pink variety

rSjHgqC.jpg

Google "Amazon River Dolphin" or "boto cor de rosa" for more pics

There are four extant (three if you don't count the Baiji) families of river dolphins. By far your beautiful treasures are the most well known here in the states, but aside from South America and China, India has one as well

Ganges-river-dolphin.jpg

There is also a freshwater porpoise in China. They are adorable

michel_gunther_3034.jpg

Though it too is on the brink of extinction.

Oh they found some of these dolphins? That's awesome, was upsetting when they said they were extinct when I watched the news on 07.

Nicely made thread OP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom