• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crunchyroll Announces the Removal of Its Comment Section Across All Platforms To 'Reduce Harmful Content'

Draugoth

Gold Member
crunchyroll-announces-the-removal-of-its-comment-section-acr_77j2.1200.jpg

Crunchyroll announced it has disabled the comment section from its anime and news posts, saying it has axed the comment section for its anime episodes and news posts.

In a recent post from its support page, titled “Protecting our community," Crunchyroll explained its decision to remove the streamer’s long-standing feature.

“At Crunchyroll, we prioritize creating a safe and respectful community environment. To maintain this standard, we are hiding all existing user-generated content, including comments and reviews, across all our platforms and experiences,” Crunchyroll wrote.

Although the support post did not explain why the decision was made, a user’s Crunchyroll Support conversation—posted on the r/Crunchyroll subreddit—elaborated on the feature's removal.

“This decision was made to ensure a safer, more respectful, and higher-quality environment for all users,” Crunchyroll support representative said. “This change helps us reduce harmful

Source

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
It’s only a matter of time before others follow suit. I’m personally looking forward to when GAF removes its comment section.

rm082e

Having a comment section on anime was just asking for trouble.

OT: I've been watching JuJutsu Kaisen with my son recently. As someone who typically doesn't care for anime, I've been surprised how interesting it is.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Did crunchyroll have a lot of comments to begin with?

Years back ESPN got rid of their forums. Not surprised. For such a giant sports company you'd think the forums would tons of users commenting. But in fact, it wasnt used that much from what I saw. A lot of the sections were dead.

If crunchyroll forums werent used much, they might be doing a bogus PR statement where the real reason is it's not worth keeping around.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Removing the comment section is always horseshit, especially when they're touting "safety" reasons. Prob cut some staff to save money or the result of a company doing things they don't want to be criticized for.
Yup.

Among the most bogus topics brought up during big issues is some blowhard will bring up employee or customer safety first. As if it's the #1 topic. When in reality it's likely a money and profit issue.

Just check out any PR unions do when it's crunch time negotiating about wages. Many will try not to PR about anything regarding money or annual pay raises but bring up shit like mental health or for sake of customer safety we need new rules. When at the end of the day it comes down to the wage hike agreement.

SJRB

Gold Member
I just go to the subreddit if I want to discuss something or read people's opinions about an anime.

Crunchyroll comment section is probably a nightmare to moderate, cost-heavy to maintain and there is basically zero upside. I mean, Netflix and Prime don't have comment sections either.

Sakura

Just limit the comments to paid users and they'll become pretty easy to moderate.
The real reason is to reduce costs.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
I don't really do anime, but whenever a site nukes the user comments section, I pretty much retire from using that site. But I still remember when the Internet was about interacting with actual people as opposed to whatever the hell you'd call it now.

Sushi_Combo

Not surprising, they killed off their forums a few years back. I also remember the comments sections just filled with spambots, it became unbearable.

Hudo

If you don't allow free discussion then there's no fucking point having a forum in the first place. Yes, people on the internet will act like retards. They will insult others. They will use all the logcial fallacies available. They will hyperbole and lie. But some will also write some pretty intelligent analyses that might border on a fucking thesis at times. You can't have one without the other.

Mistake

Gold Member
There has been an ongoing issue with localizers and translators from companies not doing things properly, such as getting too political and botching episodes. With recent events, I'm not surprised they would close comments. Some games I play did the same.

It's pretty bad when AI or fansubs do a better job

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
That's very intresting...

You know recently people where using the comments to call out bad AI generated subtitles in the shows. They where forced to remove a title last year and fix them, strangly this season has 3 shows facing this issue too, with complaints all over the episodes for them.

I wonder if this factored into their decision at all.

Futaleufu

I remember when imdb did the same giving the same reasons, just when early rumors about Harvey Weinstein started to spread.

Last edited:

YCoCg

So it's been tracked down to a hate campaign if homophobes review bombing gay animes, ...why are they even watching it then?

Edit: yep, it's not even about translations or AI, it's just a random ass hate campaign against yaoi content, ...which Crunchyroll has had for ages. Weirdly enough the lesbian schoolgirl stuff isn't included in this hate campaign for some reason.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Great move, the sooner people learn nobody gives a fuck about their opinions on the Internet the sooner they can try and live without social media.

Last edited:
Having a comment section on anime was just asking for trouble.
Honestly most of it is tame and full of spoiler comments from fans of a show. Plus these comments don’t even show on most TV-centic streaming devices.

I’m also going to guess like some posters above that this is a cost cutting move. It’s not worth the monetary headache to them.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Gonna be honest, been using cr for over 10 years, didn’t even notice you could post comments on an episode…

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
So it's been tracked down to a hate campaign if homophobes review bombing gay animes, ...why are they even watching it then?

Edit: yep, it's not even about translations or AI, it's just a random ass hate campaign against yaoi content, ...which Crunchyroll has had for ages. Weirdly enough the lesbian schoolgirl stuff isn't included in this hate campaign for some reason.

Homosexuality is based if it makes their pp happy.

Lunarorbit

Gold Member
Wow, lame. I like to read other people’s impressions of shows. Sometimes they have insights or interesting comments.
Yeah me too. I only subscribed to crunchyroll a few months back and would often go in the comments to find other shows people were discussing.

I like anime but there's so much of it now that it helped to whittle down the choices

xrnzaaas

At least they're not completely lying like imdb when they deleted all message boards and the reason was they didn't have enough moderation manpower.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
I want to know what the egregious comments are that caused them to say they cannot do this anymore.

Complistic

No fun allowed. Also I think they just raised the price, now they're cutting features. Classic recipe for success.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
That's very intresting...

You know recently people where using the comments to call out bad AI generated subtitles in the shows. They where forced to remove a title last year and fix them, strangly this season has 3 shows facing this issue too, with complaints all over the episodes for them.

I wonder if this factored into their decision at all.

This is always the reason. Poor/woke translations are also another reason. Also Blackrock DEI just invested a lot of money in manga and certain animation studios. If you thought Japanese media was going to be safe from all this crap, think again.

Last edited:

Mistake

Gold Member
This is always the reason. Poor/woke translations are also another reason. Also Blackrock DEI just invested a lot of money in manga and certain animation studios. If you thought Japanese media was going to be safe from all this crap, think again.
Netflix getting more anime deals had me concerned for a while, but it hasn't been as bad as some other places like HIDIVE or crunchy

YCoCg

I want to know what the egregious comments are that caused them to say they cannot do this anymore.
It's because of a targeted hate campaign against yaoi animes, which is odd because yaoi animes have been around for as long as this service has existed.

Top Bottom