• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cryptocurrency |OT| Nothing from Money

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
25k+ per bitcoin might seem crazy right now, but 4k or more seemed absolutely bonkers a few years ago. "It would need a market cap (kinda meaningless anyway as a measurement really) 60 billion. It´s only 12 billion now!" And yet here we are.

I´ll put ~300€ every month into cryptos from december on for the next 2-3 years. And only cash out if i can buy a house and quit my job and live comfortably from then on. Will be replaced by a robot in a decade anyway, so gotta do something to get some cash.

Good man. When I get my dream home in SD I'll invite CryptoGAF.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K1DkRY8Ugg

syllogism

Korea to ban their citizens from participating in ICOs at least until better regulation and Russia's finance minister says they might ban bitcoin payments for now (though he was positive about the technology). Going to be a red week, I'd imagine.

e: short term outlook for NEO not so good

Drifters

Korea to ban their citizens from participating in ICOs at least until better regulation and Russia's finance minister says they might ban bitcoin payments for now (though he was positive about the technology). Going to be a red week, I'd imagine.

Yeah just read up on that.... shit is going to suck.

Cipherr

Lol, been a rough ass month for coins with heavy reliance on ICO's. Even Ethereum took it in the shorts a bit more than the rest of the market on that news. I grabbed 2 at $280 on Bittrex from Tether holdings I had waiting on dips because of a buy order that I set.

Im not worried about ETH, its proven itself a little beyond just ICO utility in my eyes. But NEO and these other ICO facilitating projects are going to get mauled. I don't think SKorea or China/US is going to be all that crack down on ICO's. This shit is like dominos at this point.

Hisoka

Lol

Dear Europe. When you wake up, you better buy this dip. Yes, i'm also from europe. Yes, i had to work until 4 after midnight. No, i sadly have no fiat left for that amazing dip. Just when i thought there couldn't be anymore bad news to cause a huge dip, i see it was just another ICO shit that was enough to do this. I better hold onto my next fiat for a nice brainfart dip.

Cipherr

Binance is adding IOTA. Damn, Binance has been grinding hard as hell since the China news tanked their BNB coin and ICO plans. They are adding coins like crazy. With them having KNC and IOTA soon, Im going to be trading there now since Bittrex has neither.

Donos

Oh ffs.Well,it's weekend anyway :).
Only good thing is that i have 200€ underway to kraken so I'm going to get something cheap at least.

Daddy needs a new Ultrabook toy but that probably has to wait a couple months.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Binance is adding IOTA. Damn, Binance has been grinding hard as hell since the China news tanked their BNB coin and ICO plans. They are adding coins like crazy. With them having KNC and IOTA soon, Im going to be trading there now since Bittrex has neither.

Well, they have WTC :D
Yeah, they are adding coins like crazy. And I really love their trading interface.

The Rizza

Been away for a week and it was kind of refreshing not checking Blockfolio every hour lol Now I have lots of catching up to do though...

Sulik2

I need to figure out something to buy in the dip over the weekend. Not sure if I want more ARK with how it has stalled or to try out BIllionaire coin and see what happens there.

tzare

when is that ARK fee reduction supposed to happen? I want to vote a delegate but if it is cheaper, i may wait if it doesn't take too long

galperi1

when is that ARK fee reduction supposed to happen? I want to vote a delegate but if it is cheaper, i may wait if it doesn't take too long

Supposedly the upgrade is going into devnet next week for testing. To be honest I would determine to wait based on how many ark you currently hold. If you have enough to make >1 ark over the course of the next 7 days I don't see a reason to wait.

Donos

WTC keeping its level... don't really like buying in at 5€ but then again did i buy OMG at 5€ and it went to 10€ shortly after.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
WTC keeping its level... don't really like buying in at 5€ but then again did i bought OMG at 5€ and it went to 10€ shortly after.

If you believe in WTC, then just buy. As you say, getting in at $5 is great when it goes to $10, or $20, or $50. But I do understand how painful it is when you think about how many coins you could have had if you had only bought it a few weeks earlier.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
MCO dropping like a stone because no VISA news.. holy shit

Yeah. And two of my friends fell for that fake rumors that it will go to the moon at the end of the month when official VISA support is announced. Too bad that I won't see them for at least another week.

I warned them that it pumped once due to fake Visa news (and fell like stone and I made nice profit with selling it at top point) and there won't be another such pump for 'old fake' news

Hisoka

Yeah. And two of my friends fell for that fake rumors that it will go to the moon at the end of the month when official VISA support is announced. Too bad that I won't see them for at least another week.

I warned them that it pumped once due to fake Visa news (and fell like stone and I made nice profit with selling it at top point) and there won't be another such pump for 'old fake' news

I rode that hype too. But i sold during the dip from Korea news and went to LISK because i thought it's just too good to pass that deal. Holy smokes.. lucky me.
Now riding LISK or go back to BAT with the profit i made in the meantime...

soymilk

Neo Member
Do you guys use an app to keep track of what you buy, how much you bought it for, and the current price? I use an app called Coinbuddy to monitor current prices but it doesn't calculate how much a coin has risen or fallen compared to what I bought it at.

I know this is many days old, but I am using https://altpocket.io/ and it is really good for a beginner like me.

You dont need to input all of your transactions (if you use bittrex or poloniex) since you can input ur bittrex/poloniex api keys and it will automatically integrate your transactions in your portfolio.

The website is mobile friendly also. I really like it :)

Cipherr

The market overreacted to the Korea news in my opinion. I viewed the dip as a buying opportunity.

Its not a big enough dip IMO :( Maybe the weekend will push things down a bit more. This is pretty tame. I have some fresh fiat that cleared this morning on top of some I was already holding but I dont really want to buy anything at the moment. Another 5% down and maaaaaybe.

Where/how do you buy WTC?

You can buy WTC on the Binance exchange.

OmegaX06

I'm new to crypto and I'm having trouble purchasing eth/btc. I tried coinbase but my bank immediately denied the transaction and disabled my debit card. They could have let the transaction go through but it was already cancelled on coinbase's end too. I asked them if future purchases would trigger the fraud detection and they said "most likely".

I can also add my bank account info, but I don't really want to wait the 3-4 days it takes to transfer money. Plus, there may be a possibility the bank denies this transaction as well? The $200-500 limit is also an issue as I'd like to invest more then that.

Moved on to try cex.io only to find out it's not available in my state. Are there any good hassle free options to buying these coins?

Donos

You can try anycoindirect although i think this one is more focused on EU. You can try though. Has fees though. Don't know any US based ones since i use coinbase, anycoindirect and now kraken.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I know this is many days old, but I am using https://altpocket.io/ and it is really good for a beginner like me.

You dont need to input all of your transactions (if you use bittrex or poloniex) since you can input ur bittrex/poloniex api keys and it will automatically integrate your transactions in your portfolio.

The website is mobile friendly also. I really like it :)

I'll check it out, thanks!

I'm new to crypto and I'm having trouble purchasing eth/btc. I tried coinbase but my bank immediately denied the transaction and disabled my debit card. They could have let the transaction go through but it was already cancelled on coinbase's end too. I asked them if future purchases would trigger the fraud detection and they said "most likely".

I can also add my bank account info, but I don't really want to wait the 3-4 days it takes to transfer money. Plus, there may be a possibility the bank denies this transaction as well? The $200-500 limit is also an issue as I'd like to invest more then that.

Moved on to try cex.io only to find out it's not available in my state. Are there any good hassle free options to buying these coins?

Keep in mind that you can increase your limits for Coinbase and the rest. My limit for coinbase started out at something like $2500 a week, and now it's $10000 (not that I'm spending 10k a week). You have to verify yourself, e.g., upload your ID.

Also check out Gemini. It's cheaper than Coinbase. Still have to verify yourself though.

Cipherr

Same thing happened with me and coinbase, difference was when I called customer support for my bank they re-enabled my card, then I told them I was sending another and to approve it. They did. Eventually later I sent another through my card and it again was denied days later. I called again and whitelisted Coinbase with a bank rep on the phone, I havent had problems since, but Im not depositing via card anyway anymore.

Depositing via ACH is where its at. I know the 4 day wait is annoying but just get it started now. Afterwards you can stream in 500 a week and more and more as your limit rises. This method doesn't get denied by your bank, nor does it cost a fee like buying with a card does. In the end it saves you tons of money and its the best way to get thousands into the market instead of smaller card transactions.

ZOONAMI

I still have faith eth will hit a grand within a year. Btc is here to stay but I don’t think a drop back to 2k or so is out of the question.

Brandson

Its not a big enough dip IMO :( Maybe the weekend will push things down a bit more. This is pretty tame. I have some fresh fiat that cleared this morning on top of some I was already holding but I dont really want to buy anything at the moment. Another 5% down and maaaaaybe.

A sign that the market is leaning bullish right now. Some positive news in the next two weeks could send ETH and BTC on a significant rise.

DKF590

Pretty disappointed that I sold WTC early at ~$3.5 USD but I am honestly still a bit confused as to why it's jumped as much as it has. Even if I had avoided selling when I did I don't think I would have been brave enough to hold all the way up to the $7 USD it hit.

I see no one is talking about chainlink. It's on Binance and is pretty hot at the moment.

I went pretty heavy into LINK personally. Missed the ICO but jumped in a few days later after seeing the price slowly rise on etherdelta. Glad to see it booming after hitting Binance. I'm pretty sure we will we huge numbers in mid October. The hype still hasn't seemed to hit most places yet.

oon

Banned

Cipherr

A sign that the market is leaning bullish right now. Some positive news in the next two weeks could send ETH and BTC on a significant rise.

Yep I have to agree. The Korean ban on ICO's dropped yesterday night and BTC dipped and almost recovered instantly in under 24 hours.

6kLIPjx.png

Seems like this sort of news can't even really stop BTC right now. Compare that to the way the market dumped off when China announced the ICO thing. I think you are right, market may just be waiting for a reason to blow. If China comes out and says whatever so the market can stop wondering "what if" and move forward and the supposed BTC fork and upcoming ETH fork all happen and go well in the next two, I think things will start climbing huge again.

I really want to get as much fiat into the system as I can before that but Im stuck holding USD on coinbase right now because I don't feel like anything is down enough to buy. I really hope I don't regret waiting, but Im going to sit on it and at least wait for an opening over this weekend. Most Chinese exchanges stop trading tomorrow I think. Ill wait to see if that creates some dips.

ah_hia

I got in on Sept 28th, now that investment's up 85%.....wish I put more in, and I expect a massive dump to happen any second now....

They partnered with SWIFT and are going to demo their work at a conference this coming month : https://www.sibos.com/conference/conference-programme/bridging-dlt-and-swift-messaging-smartcontractcom-innotribe-industry
Good to see some people were interested in it. I wish I got in during the presale as well. Thankfully it was available at Binance shortly. Didn't dare try using etherdelta because of the hacking incident.
I hope it's not gonna crash down anytime lol but I got hit during DNT and I'm still waiting for that to recover so here's to chainlink hitting the 10s instead

Donos

With coins like Link you also have to look at the supply. 1.000.000.000 tokens and it's probably not hitting a price like e.g. 5 $ anytime soon, compared to ones with like 60.000.000 supply.

Longterm, you never know

DonMigs85

With coins like Link you also have to look at the supply. 1.000.000.000 tokens and it's probably not hitting a price like e.g. 5 $ anytime soon, compared to ones with like 60.000.000 supply.

Longterm, you never know

I have high hopes for XBL.
Wondering if I'll push through with Token Desk

Brohan

I just got back from my 3 week vacation and holy shit has alot happened in that time.

Seems that I could have doubled my ARK stack if i were at home and sold @120k but then again i'm not sure i would have done that even if i were at home.

Guess i will try and get up to date on the rest.

syllogism

Happened to catch iota going live on Binance. It's pretty sad how much people are getting fleeced. Some of the early trades were at 4x and not for insignificant sums. Getting added to Binance should barely move the price when it's already on Bitfinex.

Drifters

Is there a reason exchanges aren’t standardized with the same coin offerings? I’m reluctant on joining multiple exchanges and having to deal with none centralized trades.

Cipherr

Tether/Bitfinex has had an audit/report released proving that they do indeed have a dollar backing each coin:

https://tether.to/announcement-transparency-update/

https://www.reddit.com/r/btc/comments/73er6h/tetherbitfinex_report_released_looks_like_they/

A bigger and more complete audit is due in time. It still doesn't and will not ever change the fact that tether is not as good and guaranteed as holding your money in actual FIAT which is an option on some exchanges like GDAX and Kraken, but as for using it as a tool to swing trade during the day, only holding some for 30m here and there, or over weekend dips, this is good enough for me for now.

I still wouldnt recommend long holds in it purely because the verbiage on the coin will always legally have to state that at any time they could end the coin and walk away else the regulators would be after them.

Is there a reason exchanges aren't standardized with the same coin offerings? I'm reluctant on joining multiple exchanges and having to deal with none centralized trades.

I blame this on the youth of crypto in general. Some rare coins even have big differences in prices between exchanges at times. Its really....rough in some areas.

Drifters

I guess that makes sense; It drives me nuts tho that I would have to verify and 2FA different exchanges just to buy coins but I get it.

$ARK and $BAT are doing nicely this morning. :)

Brandson

Tether/Bitfinex has had an audit/report released proving that they do indeed have a dollar backing each coin:

https://tether.to/announcement-transparency-update/

https://www.reddit.com/r/btc/comments/73er6h/tetherbitfinex_report_released_looks_like_they/

A bigger and more complete audit is due in time. It still doesn't and will not ever change the fact that tether is not as good and guaranteed as holding your money in actual FIAT which is an option on some exchanges like GDAX and Kraken, but as for using it as a tool to swing trade during the day, only holding some for 30m here and there, or over weekend dips, this is good enough for me for now.

I still wouldnt recommend long holds in it purely because the verbiage on the coin will always legally have to state that at any time they could end the coin and walk away else the regulators would be after them.

I blame this on the youth of crypto in general. Some rare coins even have big differences in prices between exchanges at times. Its really....rough in some areas.

The fine print suggests that this isn't really an audit in the normal sense:

https://twitter.com/Bitfinexed/status/914162141619466240

Top Bottom