• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dakotaraptor: A new giant raptor species from the Hell Creek Formation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't find a thread, a couple of days old news.

http://www.sciencerecorder.com/news/2015/11/01/gigantic-raptor-coexisted-tyrannosaurus/

Paleontologists have announced a discovery showing that Tyrannosaurus rex was not the only big carnivorous dinosaur prowling North America at the end of the age of the great beasts.

A team led by Robert A. DePalma of The Palm Beach Museum of Natural History in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, has named a new species of carnivorous dinosaur: Dakotaraptor steini.

The paper describing the new species was published on October 30 in Paleontological Contributions, a publication of the University of Kansas Paleontological Institute. The paper is freely available here.

Dakotaraptor belongs to the group Dromaeosauridae, a widespread and very successful group of carnivorous dinosaurs characterized mainly by an enlarged claw on the retractable innermost toe.

the paper:
https://kuscholarworks.ku.edu/handle/1808/18764
https://kuscholarworks.ku.edu/bitstream/handle/1808/18764/DePalma 14.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y

7EWGs9p.png

people already started doing fanarts

extinction if old

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
You know what? I actually think they're scarier with feathers. They don't look as "cool", but birds are fucking strange creatures, so giant ones with huge teeth and claws are extra terrifying.

kswiston

Seems silly to bring up T-Rex when this raptor is only a fraction of the size (around 18 feet long compared to at least 40). There were other 20 ft+ carnivores in North America during the cretaceous.

Still a cool discovery

cirrhosis

Looks cute. I'm imaging petting it's nose in long, slow strokes while whispering "Aren't you a good boy? Yes, you are!"

i love dinosaurs

Seems silly to bring up T-Rex when this raptor is only a fraction of the size (around 18 feet long compared to at least 40). There were other 20 ft+ carnivores in North America during the cretaceous.

Still a cool discovery
There weren't any during the time of Tyrannosaurus. Tyrannosaurus was the only predator known from its time and place that was bigger than a dog. The Cretaceous was a very long time, and the time period that T.rex lived during was only a very small slice of that time. Most dinosaur species don't seem to have lasted more than a million years.

There weren't any during the time of Tyrannosaurus. Tyrannosaurus was the only predator known from its time and place that was bigger than a dog. The Cretaceous was a very long time, and the time period that T.rex lived during was only a very small slice of that time. Most dinosaur species don't seem to have lasted more than a million years.

For context on how long the dinosaurs ruled the earth, or on how they all didn't just live together and not change for millions of years, I like to remind folks that there's a bigger difference of time between Tyrannosaur and Stegosaurus, than Tyrannosaur and you.

Toxi

Banned

Still a cool discovery
In the Hell Creek Formation there weren't.

Nafai1123

Banned
Dakotaraptor just doesn't have the same intimidation factor as Velociraptor. Should've called it the Megavelociraptor or something.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Were they really THAT feathered? The last photo in the OP looks maximum stupid. It looks almost like a parody like someone was sick of dinosaurs being represented without feathers so they made that as a counter.

If they really looked like that, then the meteor was divine retribution meant to cleanse the earth of those hideous things.

Heroman

Banned
Were they really THAT feathered? The last photo in the OP looks maximum stupid. It looks almost like a parody like someone was sick of dinosaurs being represented without feathers so they made that as a counter.

If they really looked like that, then the meteor was divine retribution meant to cleanse the earth of those hideous things.

But they never died out.

I always lol at how dinosaur names are made just from whatever-saurous (think Jurassic park scene with the kids) and only sound deep and purposeful greek when it's not

http://wonderopolis.org/wonder/how-do-dinosaurs-get-their-names/

There aren’t any special rules for naming new dinosaurs. Over time, though, dinosaur names seem to come about in just a few ways.

Sometimes new dinosaurs are named after people. For example, Diplodocus carnegii was named after the person who donated the money to fund the expedition that discovered the new dinosaur: Andrew Carnegie.

Likewise, Chassternbergia was named after Charles Sternberg, who discovered the dinosaur’s fossils. Leaellynasaura was named after the daughter (Leaellyn) of the paleontologists (Tom Rich and Patricia Vickers) who discovered the dinosaur’s skull.

Other dinosaurs might be named after the place where they were discovered. For example, Utahraptor and Denversaurus were named for Utah and Denver. Albertosaurus was found in Alberta, Canada, and Arctosaurus was found near the Arctic Circle.

Similarly, Muttaburrasaurus was discovered near Muttaburra, Australia. Huayangosaurus was found in Huayang, China.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom