• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dangan Ronpa 1.2 Reload (JP) |OT| Twice the despair, twice the savings! In HD!

Torraz

Have you checked amazon.jp?

Thanks for the suggestion!

They even have the second book, although the lack of a credit card prevents me from making a purchase. Although, I don't think the shipping costs would be very pleasant.

I see that one book, the one available everywhere, is fan translated... Too bad it's not the other book I can't seem to find, or I would have put it in an EMS order for a few games for christmas.

Torraz

Finished Danganronpa 1. Very much enjoyed it.

Now in chapter 3 of Part 2.

It seems I could not find one of the collectibles, but when I return to the location (which I checked already), I can't find the collectible. Do they "poof" after the chapter ends?

Finished Danganronpa 1. Very much enjoyed it.

Now in chapter 3 of Part 2.

It seems I could not find one of the collectibles, but when I return to the location (which I checked already), I can't find the collectible. Do they "poof" after the chapter ends?

The collectibles are different each chapter. There's... 3, I believe(?) themed Monokumas that appear in each chapter, and change every time.

Torraz

The collectibles are different each chapter. There's... 3, I believe(?) themed Monokumas that appear in each chapter, and change every time.

It's 5 themed per, i think. At least I found 5 in the first chapter, and 4 in the second. There is an empty slot for a fifth.

So that means if I missed one of them in chapter 2, it will be gone in chapter 3?

can't seem to find the one in the pharmacy

It's 5 themed per, i think. At least I found 5 in the first chapter, and 4 in the second. There is an empty slot for a fifth.

So that means if I missed one of them in chapter 2, it will be gone in chapter 3?

can't seem to find the one in the pharmacy

Oh, oops, 5.

And yeah, they disappear at the end of each chapter, eg Hula Monokuma can only be found in chapter 1.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
1 more month until the US release. LE is sold out on NIS America's store, so hopefully that's a good sign that they'll consider bringing the other game over.

Torraz

1 more month until the US release. LE is sold out on NIS America's store, so hopefully that's a good sign that they'll consider bringing the other game over.

I hope they do.

So far I think part 2 is better in pretty much every regard.

Gonna be posting my DR2 impressions here since anywhere else is a minefield.

Prologue complete. Some thoughts so far.

Hajime's pre-passing out seemed odd with those numbers and scan lines, like he was in the matrix or something. That makes me think it's somehow different compared to what happened to the cast of DR1.

While obviously still suspicious, Usami seems legitimately benevolent. My theory is she is (was?) being controlled by one of the surviving students of DR1 and the cast of DR2 was sent to the island by them as a means to keep them safe since Japan and presumably most of Earth is a mess right now. Togami may have been put there to make sure things go smoothly, but he doesn't seem overly surprised over Monokuma's return, so perhaps his memory got erased somehow or he's just a really good actor to the point of fooling the audience (though that kind of seems cheap to me if its the latter).

Side note: Usami's theme makes me REALLY uncomfortable (in a good way).

kewlmyc

Gonna be posting my DR2 impressions here since anywhere else is a minefield.

Prologue complete. Some thoughts so far.

Hajime's pre-passing out seemed odd with those numbers and scan lines, like he was in the matrix or something. That makes me think it's somehow different compared to what happened to the cast of DR1.

While obviously still suspicious, Usami seems legitimately benevolent. My theory is she is (was?) being controlled by one of the surviving students of DR1 and the cast of DR2 was sent to the island by them as a means to keep them safe since Japan and presumably most of Earth is a mess right now. Togami may have been put there to make sure things go smoothly, but he doesn't seem overly surprised over Monokuma's return, so perhaps his memory got erased somehow or he's just a really good actor to the point of fooling the audience (though that kind of seems cheap to me if its the latter).

Side note: Usami's theme makes me REALLY uncomfortable (in a good way).

Why? Usami's theme is great.

Labrys

I forgot I even made this, glad to see it's getting some use!

Goodbye Despair OT will be going up the 31st.

Halfway through chapter 1 (still talking about DR2 for anyone that can't look up a few posts).

Was NOT expecting that victim. I figured Togami was kind of untouchable after surviving the first game, but it seems I was wrong. Unless of course this is all a ruse and the real victim is in the (as of this post) still-locked bathroom, which would have to be Kuzuyuruu all things considered.

Hope I at least managed to social link with the killer once. Did that with the 4 people I thought were most likely to die, but I already fucked up since I never expected Togami :/

Edit: So hold on, I'm looking at HLTB, and it says the game is 52 hours? Is that right? That's more than twice as long as the first one!

If so, this review may be a bit later than I was planning.

soc

Fun Danganronpa 2 fact: Mioda Ibuki's name is formed from taking one character from each of the K-On! members (except Azunyan), which makes her self-introduction hilarious.

Edit: So hold on, I'm looking at HLTB, and it says the game is 52 hours? Is that right? That's more than twice as long as the first one!

If so, this review may be a bit later than I was planning.

That doesn't sound right. I think it's around the same length as the first one, with more optional post-game stuff if you want to Platinum it.

Hate to triple post, but I essentially just played for 5 hours straight to complete the back half of chapter 1. It is 4:30 AM right now, yet I'm still all hyped up over it. The trial was WAY beyond my expectations. How the very first trial could be so crazy is absurd. It even keeps things fresh after the first game, and that goes beyond just mechanical additions.

Can't wait to play more tomorrow.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I agree, cosmicblizzard, the first case in DR2 was great. In fact, in my opinion, it's better than every case from game 1. I'm a huge Ace Attorney fan and wasn't extremely happy about DR1, but at the moment (right at the beginning of tiral #2), I'm enjoying DR2 more than the last three Ace Attorney games (5, Miles Edgeworth 2, vs. Layton), which is great. I also really like how they changed the mechanics.

@thequickandthedead: Yes, as stated above.

review copy?

As Yoshi said, yep.

Middle of chapter 2.

Kind of expected Mahiru to be the victim, which is a bit disappointing, but ah well. At least I managed to social link with her twice. Possible killer predictions: Fuyuhiko (maybe too obvious), Hiyoko (also possibly too obvious), Soda, Mikan, Sonia.

I was also apparently not paying attention when they said you had to buy the skills with hope fragments rather than just social link with people. Some of those definitely would have helped during the first trial since I'm on Mean.

Yoshi

I've finished chapter 2 yesterday. I wasn't that happy with it, still nice, but a bit predictable
the murderer was quite obvious, only the motive wasn't clear to me. Also I'm sad that she was the killer, she and Byakuya were my favourite characters so far (and the victim of the second case was also very nice) and it's sad to have them both killed. At least Aoi 2, the gamer girl, Ibuki and Naegi are still alive, so some of the better half of characters is still alive.

Chapter 2 complete. Unlike Yoshi, I loved it. Just like the first game, I imagine even more so than the first game, every single chapter is going to leave me mentally and emotionally spent.

Chapter 3 complete. I feel... conflicted.

First of all, Ibuki was the first character I REALLY liked that got killed, so that made me sad. Didn't give a shit about Hiyoko, so whatever with her.

I also really liked Mikan, so her reveal as the killer nearly gave me a heart attack. Then as more information was revealed, I really didn't know what to feel. I was starting to suspect the disease made her do it unwillingly and not even remember it, which would have been ridiculously cruel even by this series' standards. On one hand, that would have been incredibly ballsy, so I'm kind of disappointed they didn't go that route. On the other, it's easier to feel better about her death when you know she's a psychopath on par with Junko. You know, to make it less painful. But then they get into the whole identity crisis associated with personalities born of amnesia and personalities born through life, and that brings me right back to not knowing what to feel.

Also, Mikan's execution was damn underwhelming.

Labrys

I feel similarly. It was short, didn't make much sense and felt like just a final moment of fanservice exploitation from her. definitely my least favorite execution in the series so far.

Yeah, it's definitely the weakest execution of the series.
Not really a fan of the split-second shot of her nude while orgasming either.

PK Gaming

First of all, Ibuki was the first character I REALLY liked that got killed, so that made me sad. Didn't give a shit about Hiyoko, so whatever with her.

I also really liked Mikan, so her reveal as the killer nearly gave me a heart attack. Then as more information was revealed, I really didn't know what to feel. I was starting to suspect the disease made her do it unwillingly and not even remember it, which would have been ridiculously cruel even by this series' standards. On one hand, that would have been incredibly ballsy, so I'm kind of disappointed they didn't go that route. On the other, it's easier to feel better about her death when you know she's a psychopath on par with Junko. You know, to make it less painful. But then they get into the whole identity crisis associated with personalities born of amnesia and personalities born through life, and that brings me right back to not knowing what to feel.

Yeah, Chapter 3 is a doozy. Ibuki's death completely floored me, and I went through a similar thought process regarding the despair disease. That entire chapter was especially suffocating, since the mechanics of the disease meant that anybody could succumb to its effects at any time. Mikan's a pretty fantastic; be sure to finish her free time events, as it sheds quite a bit of insight on her character.

Chapter 4 complete.

Heart sunk when I had to accuse Gundham. Had the selection thingy hovering over him for a few seconds before I finally hit the button. I really didn't want to do it. Made the rest of the trial painful.

But hey, his execution was a heartfelt sacrifice rather than a humiliating ironic death. Seems to conflict with Monokuma's agenda of making them as painful (whether physically or mentally) for the blackened as possible. It's subtle, but this one doesn't seem quite as sadistic as Junko's Monokuma. Maybe that's a meaningless observation and totally wrong, but still something I found interesting.

Whatever the deal with Nagito is has me intrigued. Excited to find out what that's all about.

Yoshi

Chapter 4 complete.

Heart sunk when I had to accuse Gundham. Had the selection thingy hovering over him for a few seconds before I finally hit the button. I really didn't want to do it. Made the rest of the trial painful.

But hey, his execution was a heartfelt sacrifice rather than a humiliating ironic death. Seems to conflict with Monokuma's agenda of making them as painful (whether physically or mentally) for the blackened as possible. It's subtle, but this one doesn't seem quite as sadistic as Junko's Monokuma. Maybe that's a meaningless observation and totally wrong, but still something I found interesting.

Whatever the deal with Nagito is has me intrigued. Excited to find out what that's all about.
What you felt about case 4, I felt about case 5, really uncomfortable for me
especially since culprit and murderer were my two remaining favourite characters

Case 5 is truest despair

But hey, his execution was a heartfelt sacrifice rather than a humiliating ironic death. Seems to conflict with Monokuma's agenda of making them as painful (whether physically or mentally) for the blackened as possible. It's subtle, but this one doesn't seem quite as sadistic as Junko's Monokuma.

I dunno, an animal lover with a "childish idea" that he had some sort of demon power getting killed by the animals he loves while at the same time showing said powers as just a part of his imagination sounds totally Monokuma to me.

I have a review copy of DGR2, and without getting into any spoiler territory, I can say that functionally it's leaps and bounds more playable than DGR1. It has a lot of great movement and quick travel options.

But they still can't seem to get first person movement down. Why can't you just emulate FPS games? Augh.

RyoonZ

Banned
10606329_10202429474445394_8404194740323526308_n.jpg

Leaked?
Already available at my local store.

Let's do this baby!

Top Bottom