• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Matter - More Sci Fi on SyFy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaladin

Syfy's return to harder science fiction continues this summer with Dark Matter, a new 13-episode series debuting June 12th. The series comes from two veterans of the network, Joseph Mallozzi and Paul Mullie, who served as executive producers and writers for the multi-series Stargate franchise and is based on Mallozzi and Mullie's comic book, Dark Matter, from Dark Horse Comics.

Dark Matter follows the crew of a derelict spaceship who are awakened from stasis with no memories of who they are or how they got on board. Facing threats at every turn, they have to work together to survive a voyage charged with vengeance, betrayal and hidden secrets.

The series stars Melissa O'Neil (Broadway production of Les Miserables), Marc Bendavid (Bitten), Anthony Lemke (White House Down), Alex Mallari Jr. (Robocop) and Jodelle Ferland (Twilight) with Roger Cross (The Strain) and Zoie Palmer (Lost Girl).

More here, including a trailer:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/04/10/dark-matter-exclusive-trailer-for-syfys-new-series

group-hall-15jpg-78234c.jpg

I'm always up for a new space based sci-fi series. I haven't read the comic though, is it any good?

I love that the showrunners also wrote the comic, so that should turn out good.

kurahador

Sounds like a sequel to Stargate Universe.

Still...happy to see someone from Stargate have a new project.
Will watch.

KarmaCow

The promo shot with all the characters isn't doing the show any favours but I watched and enjoyed both Stargate shows so who am I to judge.

Harlock

More mysteries that the writers don't have any clue of how going to solve. That is why I miss so much Star Trek TNG. We need a sci-fi series not anchored in a big mystery.

JdFoX187

Banned
I like the one actor from Continuum. Will check this out and support any channel's attempt at bringing more science-fiction to television.

Kaladin

The comic they wrote ran 4 issues, and had a complete storyline. I'll spoiler tag if anyone doesn't want to read it.

After waking on board a spacecraft with no memories, three men, two women, and a young boy arrive at a mining colony, the craft's preset destination. They land and meet the locals, who tell the crew about a group of mercenaries being sent to kill the colonists so a corporation can steal the planet. Upon returning to their craft to discuss helping or abandoning the colonists, the crew learn from the craft's computer they are the mercenaries the locals fear. When the corporation's army arrives to destroy the colony, four of the crew members join with the colonists to repel the invaders. The other two take the spacecraft and negotiate a contract for the colony with a different corporation. The invading corporation leaves, and the crew return to their spacecraft, unsure of where they will go next.

Obviously there are potential series spoilers here.

GavinUK86

I remember reading that the comic started out as an idea for a TV show anyway but no one picked it up so they made it into a comic. Now it's getting a TV show. Gone full circle I guess. I've read the comic and it's pretty good though. Some of the actors don't really match their comic counterparts but I can gloss over that. I'll definitely be watching it.

rtcn63

I'm a big Stargate fan, but SyFy's disappointed me with every original they've released in the past few years.

retrofool1961

Neo Member
There's an OT up, run a search.

Thanks. Didn't know there was a third thread on this subject.

I'm still new enough that I don't know how to search here and I don't really know what OT is.

I don't even know the difference between community and discussion.

I enjoy learning something new every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom