• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Universe at Universal Epic Universe Theme Park

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?

TastyPastry

am i crazy for wanting to go there early 2026 (february to be exact) and see all the other universal parks too or is it going to be too packed?

Remember the Dark Universe? It's back! In theme park form!

3bc1b2e2e9150091c5c0fe5cdac16314bb-31-universal-monsterverse-dark-universe.2x.h473.w710.jpg

jason10mm

Gold Member
am i crazy for wanting to go there early 2026 (february to be exact) and see all the other universal parks too or is it going to be too packed?
Oh, it's gonna be paaaaaacked. I'm considering fall 2025 but gonna have to spring for an on site premium resort for the 1 hour early admit and the included fast pass thing.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Wild to me that they didn't immediately cancel the theme park plans when this fiasco of a film franchise bombed

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Wild to me that they didn't immediately cancel the theme park plans when this fiasco of a film franchise bombed
Eh, the value of Dracula, Frankenstein's Monster (and the Bride), the Mummy, and Wolfman, and to a lesser extent the Invisible Man, Jeckel/Hyde, and Creature from the Black Lagoon, if these constitute the core of the Universal Monsters, is still pretty strong. Theme park rides tying in the older films and just the pop culture zeitgeist of these beings is a good idea. The newer films, eschewing the source material (such as it is) and attempting to revamp the concepts without really understanding their appeal in the first place was a big misstep, as was hiring expensive trendy actors all at once in a forced attempt to "make the Dark Universe happen". A lot of these beings are products of their times and can't work nearly as well in a modern context in order for them to all coexist, but I don't think, in the right hands, its an inherently unsolvable problem (League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, for example, did it quite well [refering to the comics]).

But as a dad who grew up on these B&W universal monster films on rainy saturdays, I'm totally down to dragging my kids to go to it. That it is paired up with much more current IPs like Mario, How to train your dragon, and yet another Harry Potter land ensures it doesn't have to be a single draw.

Darkmakaimura

This is Dark Universe in name only. It has nothing to do with the failed film franchise and everything to do with the classic Universal monsters

Darkmakaimura

I also wanted to mention I'm curious about the Harry Potter portion of the part. One of the best rides I've seen in recent memory was Gringott's Escape. That was unbelievable and way better than anything Disneyland has done and yes I'm even including Rise of the Resistance.

My understanding is that the main attraction/ride at the new Harry Potter park is going to be something new. IIRC the ride is going to take place in the Ministry of Magic.

Last edited:

Toons

Should be an annual thing they do around fall/Halloween thats it, won't be sustainable year round

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
I also wanted to mention I'm curious about the Harry Potter portion of the part. One of the best rides I've seen in recent memory was Gringott's Escape. That was unbelievable and way better than anything Disneyland has done and yes I'm even including Rise of the Resistance.

My understanding is that the main attraction/ride at the new Harry Potter park is going to be something new. IIRC the ride is going to take place in the Ministry of Magic.

I can't wait till they expand Nintendo Theme Park with Zelda, Metriod etc additions

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
It's pretty much just a Super Mario theme park. I don't even know why they call it a Nintendo theme park. They need Zelda and Metroid as well as other Nintendo franchises as rides and attractions.

Nintendo should do that and divide them in sections that you enter a pipe and suddenly you are in Donkey Kong world or Zelda world etc

I'm a huge fan of Harry Potter (Grew up reading the books) so that's another theme park I always wanted to go to

Darkmakaimura

Nintendo should do that and divide them in sections that you enter a pipe and suddenly you are in Donkey Kong world or Zelda world etc

I'm a huge fan of Harry Potter (Grew up reading the books) so that's another theme park I always wanted to go to
I'm not actually a fan of Harry Potter. I like the concept but not the execution. But damn, that Gringott's Escape ride is one of the best rides I've literally seen in decades. It beats out anything Disney has done recently or even within the last couple of decades. I'd say the only thing that Disneyland has that compares to it is the Indiana Jones ride at Disneyland. It's very similar to that but even more advanced.

Top Bottom