• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darn Sandisk: that's big ;).

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
sandisk1_1.jpg

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
That's cool, now I only have to sell my car and a kidney to afford it. Maybe both kidneys and my left nut if we are talking about european prices.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Panajev2001a said:
Haha, no... Sandisk's own website (normally you can find their products in stores at a lower price) lists it for $799.

Really? 'Cause I got the price from a Swedish news site...maybe it's the European price then?

EDIT: And well...I would still consider $799 hella expensive. ;)

goodcow

Woo, now I have the ability to record 48 minutes of 640x480 30fps video in a camera that fits in my pocket. :)

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
So what are the advantages of using a memory stick instead of a small HDD, for example? I honestly don't know much about it, so I'm curious.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Kiriku said:
So what are the advantages of using a memory stick instead of a small HDD, for example? I honestly don't know much about it, so I'm curious.

all the money goes to sony.

hdd's are more prone to failures and hdd in a portable device usually needs also an accelerometer which increases the cost.... but as it has been said, number one reason probably is that Sony gets more money from memory sticks =)

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Funny how something that retails for about $800 would still be encased in about 2 cents worth of easily broken plastic. When will adamantium production be ramped up dammit?!? :D

jenov4

That won't even work in the PSP either, as it's not the Memory Stick Duo Pro format.

It's an impressive size nonetheless. ;)

Brofist

I know the PSP wont take that, only the Duo line, but imagine if that was in your PSP. You'd be walking around with more than $1000 of hardware in your hand/pocket...damn just put a sign on your back that says 'mug me please'.

kpop100 said:
I know the PSP wont take that, only the Duo line, but imagine if that was in your PSP. You'd be walking around with more than $1000 of hardware in your hand/pocket...damn just put a sign on your back that says 'mug me please'.

I found the "mug me please" sign!

MP930319.gif

aoi tsuki

AFAIK, MS sticks work in a Duo slot. They just stick out.

kpop100 said:
i walk around with ~$1000 worth of gear everyday - PDA + extended battery + 1GB MS. There's some places i don't take my PDA because of drawing attention to myself, but theft isn't something i really worry about.

kiryogi

Banned
aoi tsuki said:
AFAIK, MS sticks work in a Duo slot. They just stick out.

i walk around with ~$1000 worth of gear everyday - PDA + extended battery + 1GB MS. There's some places i don't take my PDA because of drawing attention to myself, but theft isn't something i really worry about.

Hmm, don't think so. I recall for seeing MS Duo adaptors for use in the older MStick stuff when I was browsing some cameras. Part of the problem with MStick is how sony alienated their crowd like that with a revision. (See also PSX)

mr2mike

Banned
aren't plain sticks not only longer, but wider and thicker than Duos? there is afterall an adapter to shove a duo inside a normal mem stick slot, that means that width + thickness of duo + thickness of the plastic that encases the duo in the adapter = size of a memrystick?

Fitting a mem stick in a duo slot sounds like fitting a rectangular peg in a slightly smaller rectangular hole to me.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Standard MS sticks won't work fit in a Duo slot. All three physical dimensions of a Duo stick are smaller than a standard MS, so a Duo specific slot is also smaller.

FightyF

Banned
How about speed? How does the data transfer compare to a HDD?

I'm skeptical about these things replacing HDDs (in consoles)...but excited at the possibility.

Bregor

Fight for Freeform said:
How about speed? How does the data transfer compare to a HDD?

I'm skeptical about these things replacing HDDs (in consoles)...but excited at the possibility.

Speed and size have never been the problem. Price is.

FightyF

Banned
Thanks Pana!

Bregor: That's quite true. I was thinking that nowadays, they will make users buy it, like current day mem cards for the GC and PS2, rather than bundle it.

Currently 128MB Jumpdrives are slightly higher priced than Sony's 8MB mem card for the PS2. Perhaps by next Fall (and more importantly, 2 Falls from now when the Revolution and PS3 come out) 256MB cards will be in a similar range?

By the middle of the Revolution's and PS3's lifespan...I wouldn't be surprised if 2GB came down to that price level.

Again, as you implied, it doesn't compare to the deal you get with HDDs. Nowadays it's almost a dollar per GB.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Fight for Freeform said:
Thanks Pana!

Bregor: That's quite true. I was thinking that nowadays, they will make users buy it, like current day mem cards for the GC and PS2, rather than bundle it.

Currently 128MB Jumpdrives are slightly higher priced than Sony's 8MB mem card for the PS2. Perhaps by next Fall (and more importantly, 2 Falls from now when the Revolution and PS3 come out) 256MB cards will be in a similar range?

By the middle of the Revolution's and PS3's lifespan...I wouldn't be surprised if 2GB came down to that price level.

Again, as you implied, it doesn't compare to the deal you get with HDDs. Nowadays it's almost a dollar per GB.

Hard drives have been significantly cheaper than $1 per GB for awhile now. Ain't it great. :D

FightyF

Banned
Sorry, I meant Canadian dollar :p

But yeah, it's dirt cheap. I wouldn't mind buying an HDD seperately for my console if it was that cheap.

Fularu

Banned
Fight for Freeform said:
Sorry, I meant Canadian dollar :p

But yeah, it's dirt cheap. I wouldn't mind buying an HDD seperately for my console if it was that cheap.

I bought a WD 160 GIG HD with 8 megs of cache for 112$ CND just yesterday (128 including taxes)

FightyF

Banned
I need to go PC shopping with you Fularu! :)

Actually the prices I were looking at were for the 250GB...if you go to the 200 and less it's cheaper (more bang for the buck). I'm looking at www.memoryexpress.net btw. Sooo tempting...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Sho Nuff said:
Question. Are there any Memory Stick devices with good enough lenses to be considered truly professional?

The F line are good. my 505v and 717 were very good. Maybe not pro, but definitely prosumer. The latest is the F808. But that also comes with a compact flash slot (shock horror! Sony listening to market needs!. Next thing you'll be telling me they support mp3 on their walkmen and PSP :D )

Top Bottom