• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DBZ budokai 3 : where's the hype ?

Hype, for this? o-O It's just the next fix for the DB kiddies, this time with content from the movies and a next DB game is already on it's way to Xbox and PS2.

hobbitx

I love DBZ to death, it was one of the first animes I seriously got into and I'm still a fan. Those games are just a dull insult to me in this day and age. I'm sick of these stupid little fighters that aren't even good. Give me a call when they really decide do something cool with the DB universe, like let you play as your own Saiyan in a more serious action adventure type of game more in the tone of the japanese version of the show.

AssMan

Banned
Actually I've read a few things about this game that seems actually good (even though I hated the first two). It seems that you can teleport behind enemies to string up more combos, a new dodge feature, something called dragon lash where you hit buttons to proceed a cut scene of fights, beam struggles now, and the main mode is like Legacy of Goku where you fly around on earth to foward the story.

LAMBO

Wow that actually looks pretty good. I know eventually they will get one of these DBZ fighters right, and maybe this is it, maybe.

belgurdo

Banned
The only Dragon Ball that looks good is that original series platformer coming out on the GBA, and that'll likely be half-assed too. This series has been run into the ground.

Speaking of run into the ground, whatever became of the DBZ fighter Capcom was developing?

TheDiave

Banned
RMX said:
ok...
no DBZ fans here ?
what a shame... :(
*waves hands*

Dude, I'm amped about Budokai 3! Watching that video you linked to, the pyrotechnics look outta control... Like when Goku goes from normal to Super Saiyan 2, it's like BOOM! I can't even imagine how Super Saiyan 3 and 4 look; Especially if the effects get more intense, the more powerful the transformation is.

The attack and defense cut-scenes are just plain awesome! They totally add that cinematic flair the series is known for. I just wish I knew how the system works... It's confusing trying to guess just based on watching clips. Guess I'll just have to see for myself when the game comes out.

Either way, this game is on my most wanted list. I can't wait!

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
The only good DBZ game is Legend of the Super Saiyan, the RPG for the SNES.

TheDiave

Banned
MetatronM said:
I'll be sticking with Naruto for an anime fighting game that's actually good.
Define "good," because no matter how badly you want to slag it, Budokai is not bad.

I fail to see why Budokai catches all the hate. It succeeds in trying to be what it's trying to be. Honestly, what more could you expect of the game? Even as a huge DBZ fan - as if the avatar isn't a hint - there are really only three "flaws" I could find with the series:

a) There is no free flying
b) Weak characters can beat extremely powerful ones
c) You cannot duck or jump

Any my two cents:

a) I know it isn't perfect, but the collision detection is pretty darn accurate. If characters could be literally all over the place, I think it'd be pretty shoddy.
b) It's a fighter, and fighters need balance. That's just the way the universe works.
c) I don't see how this "hurts" the gameplay, seriously.

All that said, I suppose now I just wait for some troll to take a pot-shot.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
The whole customization system is pretty tedious and crappy. 90% of the "moves" are useless, and the whole system of attacking where even a basic melee attack requires a five-button combo, it's just not FUN.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
As a fighting game on its own, Budokai would SUCK. Extremely basic game play where all the fighters are essentially the same. YAWN.

However, what Budokai has done right is to make good use of the license; the look and feel of the fights is very much like that of the manga/anime.

I do wish Budokai 3 was changed to play like Super Sonic Warriors though. It and Hyper Dimension are by far the best DBZ fighting games.

And while unrelated, yeah, the Naruto games really are much better both in terms of gameplay and use of the license.

Pachinko

I'm thinking of picking up that second naruto PS2 game, I've got a jap PS2 that I barely use aside from Super Galdelic hour once a month...

Budokai isn't honestly that terrible. The first one had a cool single player mode but fell apart in 2 player whereas the second one cleaned almost everything up EXCEPT the single player portion which was really bad. Supersonic warriors fighting worked pretty good but what the series needs is better balance. I realize even in the show/manga that almost all of the attacks used are the same from character to character until the buu saga but I'd like to have a real reason to use Goku over Vegeta or adult trunks.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
TheDiave said:
Define "good," because no matter how badly you want to slag it, Budokai is not bad.

I fail to see why Budokai catches all the hate. It succeeds in trying to be what it's trying to be. Honestly, what more could you expect of the game? Even as a huge DBZ fan - as if the avatar isn't a hint - there are really only three "flaws" I could find with the series:

a) There is no free flying
b) Weak characters can beat extremely powerful ones
c) You cannot duck or jump

Any my two cents:

a) I know it isn't perfect, but the collision detection is pretty darn accurate. If characters could be literally all over the place, I think it'd be pretty shoddy.
b) It's a fighter, and fighters need balance. That's just the way the universe works.
c) I don't see how this "hurts" the gameplay, seriously.

All that said, I suppose now I just wait for some troll to take a pot-shot.
I still find DBZ fairly enjoyable (though not even remotely as much as I used to in my younger days), and I own Budokai. And really, it's not that great. Pretty thoroughly mediocre at best, I would say. It's not quite as bad as its reputation, but it's not very good either.

Top Bottom