• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT| The next legend is YOU!

Even while playing solo this game is fun. I dont really get time to play it much but yesterday I got the fight with THE FLASH!!! That was awesome!!!

crimzonflame said:
Even while playing solo this game is fun. I dont really get time to play it much but yesterday I got the fight with THE FLASH!!! That was awesome!!!
Yeah, I just got started with this game and my first impressions are really positive. I'm not an MMO veteran or anything, but I thought the character creation was great and the early part of the game really fun so far.

I jump from lot of MMO's and I think this is one of the most fun MMO's I've played so far. I think it lacks in depth and other technical issues, but I think it was designed with a much more casual feel to it and it just is good fun overall.

And really the "grind" in the game is non existent to me, it all moves very fast and never feel like I'm just doing something to grind XP. It's all very streamlined.

neojubei said:
Seems i can get nothing worthwhile in the vault, always getting the same stuff.

I got the two-face iconic hoodie on one character, but nothing of interest since then.

BTW, Jeff over at GB just gave this a 2 out of 5, with lots of comments that make me wonder how long he played it.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
neojubei said:
Yeah I haven't had much luck either. Yesterday was the first time I got something rare (Flash T-shirt).

neojubei said:

I got my Bizarro Cap back which I had in beta from the vault today.

If you complete all the duos in the same day am I right in saying it also gives you a mark of distinction as a bonus?

JWong

Banned
piratepwnsninja said:
I got the two-face iconic hoodie on one character, but nothing of interest since then.

BTW, Jeff over at GB just gave this a 2 out of 5, with lots of comments that make me wonder how long he played it.
Jeff isn't really the MMO type. He gets of repetition really fast in a lot of his reviews.

He doesn't believe the game controls better with a gamepad. A statement with fallacies imo.

Maaseru

Banned
I'k playing on The Killing Joke(Popetita is my character Maseeru my psn id if u wanna add me) aand the audio just went really crazy and now I hear the game with some other guys talking and playing like it was someone recording of a TV screen! I even hear the moves of his characer muffled like.

edit: I just heard a door opening and closing for gods sake!!

CoLaN

anyone with a 10 days trial buddy key to spare? :D I've been following the game but i would like to check it out before i spend the full price.

JWong said:
He doesn't believe the game controls better with a gamepad. A statement with fallacies imo.
I have only heard the opposite from the reviews I've read. Everyone who plays PC laments the PS3 focus of the game. Seems kind of weird that a review would end on a guess when I think they would also have the PC copy on hand to try. I've never read a Giant Bomb review before so maybe they make a habit of trolling at the end of each review.

JWong said:
Jeff isn't really the MMO type. He gets of repetition really fast in a lot of his reviews.

Funny, it's the least repetitive MMO I've ever played. Maybe he shouldn't review MMOs if they aren't really his type.

lastplayed said:
Funny, it's the least repetitive MMO I've ever played. Maybe he shouldn't review MMOs if they aren't really his type.

Yup never have I played such a fast paced moving MMO. I've been also playing right now LOTRO and Star Trek Online, and holy shit the grind and slowness of those games is so much more than DC.

theta11

BattleMonkey said:
Yup never have I played such a fast paced moving MMO. I've been also playing right now LOTRO and Star Trek Online, and holy shit the grind and slowness of those games is so much more than DC.

well dcuo is technically a mmo action game with some rpg elements so its totally different from those games which are out and out rpgs.

Blackface

Banned
I never read the GB review on DCUO, and I am not saying it's a great game (it isn't). However, if he said the game was designed for PC, or that somehow, wasn't clearly focused on PS3, he should just stop reviewing PC games forever.

JWong

Banned
Anslon said:
I have only heard the opposite from the reviews I've read. Everyone who plays PC laments the PS3 focus of the game. Seems kind of weird that a review would end on a guess when I think they would also have the PC copy on hand to try. I've never read a Giant Bomb review before so maybe they make a habit of trolling at the end of each review.
I lament not using a controller for this game. Until I get my DS3 working on my PC.

Fusebox

Banned
Can anyone spare a BuddyKey please? I'd love to give the 10 day trial a go before signing up for the full game.

edit - scratch that, bought it on Steam.

Dead

well not really...yet
Lot of unfortunate audio drops throughout the game on ps3, often all my sound effects will just mute randomly when entering different areas :\

LiK

Made by GB member, MiniPato in response to Jeff's review.

1688112-dc2stars.jpg

Giant Bomb said:
Overall, DCUO feels like a PC game that was hastily thrown onto the PlayStation 3 without properly adapting it to the console. With the PC version offering better graphical performance for a cheaper price, it would be the version I would recommend, if I were willing to recommend it at all.
That about sums it up. I would argue that the price of a computer better than the PS3 is a bit steep, but maybe the sight caters to a very niche audience.

Ferny

I really like the game but I completely agree with GB's review. Quests for the most part are about the same every time. How you can play the game without a keyboard or mouse is beyond me. Sure the abilities and all that may be easy with a controller but the social aspect just doesn't seem good without having the keyboard there. On the bombcast, Jeff stated he played about 15 hrs or so and has a level 30 character so I think thats more than enough time with the game to make an opinion especially since you can hit the level cap ao quickly.

I agree with his assessment of the queue system the most. Holy crap it takes forever to find a group. Im sure this will improve over time but still.

JWong

Banned
Ferny73 said:
I really like the game but I completely agree with GB's review. Quests for the most part are about the same every time. How you can play the game without a keyboard or mouse is beyond me. Sure the abilities and all that may be easy with a controller but the social aspect just doesn't seem good without having the keyboard there. On the bombcast, Jeff stated he played about 15 hrs or so and has a level 30 character so I think thats more than enough time with the game to make an opinion especially since you can hit the level cap ao quickly.

I agree with his assessment of the queue system the most. Holy crap it takes forever to find a group. Im sure this will improve over time but still.
You can't get to 30 in less than a day.

MrMephistoX

Fistwell said:
It's kinda cute how he got this little blog thing going after getting fired for being unprofessional.

Who Gerstman or the GB member? Having the integrity to not be afraid of giving a game a poor review when it's a part of a marketing campaign on the site you work for is hardly unprofessional.

WonkyPanda said:
What exactly does "ex-fucking" mean? Blew my mind.
Good question. Well I guess if you want to take it as fucking your ex then then it's a curse because that's a stupid messy thing to do, one that's a quick road to more emotional stress.

Zeouterlimits said:
Good question. Well I guess if you want to take it as fucking your ex then then it's a curse because that's a stupid messy thing to do, one that's a quick road to more emotional stress.

Amen, brotha.

Mudkips

Banned
JWong said:
You can't get to 30 in less than a day.

I'd say you can.
Not on your first playthrough though.
And not in 15 hours.
And not while you're writing a review at the same time. (I presume you'd take the time to take notes and screenshots and such.)

When I got the game last weekend, a friend and I went in blind and played for about 18 hours in the first 24 hours of ownership. We got to like level 18. We played pretty much separately because we chose different mentors and didn't really know what we were doing. My friend even re-rolled after he hit about level 10. I spent much more of my time in the options and character creation stuff.

If I rolled another I think I could grind to 30 in under 24 hours, especially now that I know how the game is laid out. But anyone doing that isn't really playing the game, they're just grinding.

JWong

Banned
Mudkips said:
I'd say you can.
Not on your first playthrough though.
And not in 15 hours.
And not while you're writing a review at the same time. (I presume you'd take the time to take notes and screenshots and such.)

When I got the game last weekend, a friend and I went in blind and played for about 18 hours in the first 24 hours of ownership. We got to like level 18. We played pretty much separately because we chose different mentors and didn't really know what we were doing. My friend even re-rolled after he hit about level 10. I spent much more of my time in the options and character creation stuff.

If I rolled another I think I could grind to 30 in under 24 hours, especially now that I know how the game is laid out. But anyone doing that isn't really playing the game, they're just grinding.
Is there anything that can show played time? I got 1-85 in WoW in 2 days played, but the nature of the quests in DCUO makes it hard to do it fast.

theta11

it's possible to get to 30 in under 24 hours but it's still pretty hard. doing it on your first playthrough is impossible unless you have beta experience... and even then it's a tough order since for the most part the questing areas were heavily populated at launch. perhaps sony gave him a level 30 character to review the game?

icechai

DCUO's combat looks like an action game, but it definitely doesn't feel like one. Actions feel latent--you know, like the sort of latency you'd expect when connecting to an MMO server instead of a four-player action game or something. While you start to earn more powerful melee combos as you gain levels, the mushy, unresponsive feel of the attacks make you quickly mash out the full combo, rather than employing any sort of timing or, God forbid, want to decide mid-combo that you want to hold down a button to go for a different attack. With some attacks having extra effects, like interrupting an enemy that's in the middle of casting, the imprecise nature of your attacks can make combat frustrating. They never seem to work right when it counts. Still, it's usually fine enough for just mashing your way through mobs and soloing instances.

...noob, clearly he grinded his way to 30 without trying any instances/alerts/legends/proper pvp. or god forbid, learn how to actually use the action the game provides.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
LiquidMetal14 said:
This server maintenance and patch for PS3 bettwe fix the mic issues.
I doubt it will, i think the client has to be patched for them to fix the mic issues.

Looks like the daily server maintenance for tomorrow is occurring later than usual.

Raijinn said:
The US servers will be locked at 06:30 AM PST and brought offline at 07:00 AM PST for server maintenance. Downtime is anticipated to be one hour and the servers should be available at 08:00 AM PST.

jogarrr

Anyone else ever get stuck hearing the mics of other players after finishing an alert? I'm stuck sitting here listening to some guy whistle. It's kinda creepy.

Quagm1r3

So I realize Death and Glory is the official PC PVP GAF server, but its high population has led to me getting ganked constantly by lv 30s. It's unplayable.

I rerolled on Cry for Blood and it's easy to avoid getting ganked as well as engage in open world pvp when you want to.

If there's anyone else on Death and Glory who feels the way I did, reroll on Cry for Blood and help me make a GAF league!

Hawk269

Anslon said:
That about sums it up. I would argue that the price of a computer better than the PS3 is a bit steep, but maybe the sight caters to a very niche audience.

You are right. I bought both versions and yes, the PC version is really that much better, but you know what, the PS3 version is still pretty damn good. Until I played it on the PC a few days after I had it on the PS3, I was really impressed with it on the PS3. But, you also have to have a PC that cost around 3 times that of a PS3 to run it better.

If I only had a Ps3, I would be happy with the game becuase I think they did a good job. Of course when you run a PS3 version next toa 1,000-1500-2000 dollar PC yeah it better fucking run better.

MMO's on console are so rare and I think they did a fantastic job with the PS3 version of the game and you have to remember (although I am no pro at MMO'S), that MMO's traditionally start rough overall anyways and they are pateched more than any other type of game and they are also given more upgrades, add-on's etc than any other type of game.

Hawk269

Quagm1r3 said:
So I realize Death and Glory is the official PC PVP GAF server, but its high population has led to me getting ganked constantly by lv 30s. It's unplayable.

I rerolled on Cry for Blood and it's easy to avoid getting ganked as well as engage in open world pvp when you want to.

If there's anyone else on Death and Glory who feels the way I did, reroll on Cry for Blood and help me make a GAF league!

I actually like that it is that populated..it makes things interesting. I am on Death & Glory and have not had that many issues being ganked by high levels. I say stick with it man.

Sqorgar

Banned
When will you guys learn that Gerstmann doesn't actually play the games he reviews? He throws them in the machine for like an hour and a half, then writes his review by copying sections out of the manual. He's been busted on it repeatedly, and yet people still seem to trust his reviews for some reason.

Top Bottom