• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DDR home enthusiasts: Metal/Hard pads, yay or nay?

I'm going to buy DDR this Christmas season, and I'd rather have a hard pad (I don't mind cleaning it occasionally) than a soft pad. Should I? Or are those mats with the foam inserts good enough? Any specific mats/pads you recommend?

vireland

While the red octane foam pad is better than a plain pad, I think the improvement is incremental rather than a huge leap. I was disappointed that the "puzzle-piece" seams can still be felt when it's put together and used on carpet. I'm thinking about just getting a songle piece of the same foam used in the red octane pad and replacing the jigsaw sections in there now.

Buuut...for the above reason, I'm also considering those crazy $300 metal pads. So, I guess this is another post fishing for a metal pad testimonial or rant. Also, I was wondering if the arrows light up when pressed on the metal pads...

atomsk

Party Pooper
i've got 2 metal pads downstairs (1 BNS, and 1 TX-1000) both have held up pretty well for the past 6 months. my gf, who's the one AA'ing 9 footers, loves them.

myself, i couldnt ever go back to a softpad, and could never see myself paying 100 dollars for one, when i could hit up ebay, and a pay a little bit more for some metal.

edit: there are little lights around the arrows when you step on them, but no, the whole arrow doesnt light up like the arcade

The BNS metal pads are the ones I was looking at the most. I had read bad things about the TX-1000, but most people aren't as vocal about something being good as they are it being bad.

It's good to hear that you've had good experiences with them.

Belfast

Hard/Metal if they're good quality. Sadly, quality varies greatly. Some can break pretty fast while others are fairly good at replicating the arcade experience. ALWAYS better than soft, though.

atomsk

Party Pooper
i do like the BNS better, seems more sturdy. mostly in the way the plastic parts are screwed on (4 screws as opposed to 1)

i trip over my feet less on the BNS, and it's easier to play in socks if i wanted too.

but i'm not that good (i can pass most trick, and some maniac), so dunno how valid my opinions are as compared to someone who is insane at the game.

BNS metal come with cypher games boxes, but thankfully arent cypher pads, keep that in mind. almost gave me a heart attack

ultramix? bleh. wasnt too fond of that mix.

I only have an Xbox so I can't really complain much. My buddy does have a PS2 and DDR Max 2, so if I want, there's always that option as well.

However, Paranoia Rebirth and Hypnotic Crisis > * on DDRMAX2.

Mzo

The BNS pads with the foam inserts are the equivalent of the Red Octane pads at half the price.

Never really looked into the metal pads, but the foam ones are good enough to pass even 10 footers. They should be more than enough for most people.

Dyne

Whenever I see these threads, I replying saying the same thing..

Soft pads work fine for me. Specifically, the Madcatz pad. And when I play at arcades, I take my shoes off and play in my socks.

I think soft pads work horrible on hardwood floors. They work great on cement floors with carpet on top. Hard pads work best on everything else.

Go with the reinforced foam pads and stay away from the metal pads. They're too heavy and clunky and make a lot of noise when in use (and they're too expensive for what they are).

Mzo

KarishBHR said:
Im very happy with my BNS Ultra Foam Pad... cost me 45 bux and has lasted me over a year
I think they're up to $50 nowadays =(

But yes, these are the best ones. I've seen ten foot songs played on them with great results. No to crap on your skills, since I have no basis for it, but odds are you won't be playing 10 foot songs on this thing anyway. They don't move at all, they're easy to use and very responsive.

You really don't need anything more. If your heart's set on a metal pad, though, spend away.

My heart is pseudo-set on a metal pad. I really just wanted to know if they were of good enough quality (I know there are many crap metal pads out there, I was mainly looking to find out which are and aren't crap).

miyuru

Splurge and get a metal pad. I did, and I still don't regret it. I bought it last Xmas, so it's been about 10 months, and it still works fine. And hell, I didn't bother ordering it anywhere, I bought it from a shady stand in the mall!

Good thing I didn't get shafted. Anyway, I love it. And it's not really heavy/noisy/clunky, unless you're a major pussy or something. Goddamn, turn up the volume or something, and work out if you can't lift it :lol

I've never tried a home metal/hard pad, so I can't directly recommend them... but I can confirm that the soft ones suck ass and will frustrate you more than delight you soon enough.

miyuru

You can perform a simple mod to foam pads, like just stapling them to a thin wooden board or something to make them muuuuuuuuch better (less slippage, better feel).

The ONE thing metal pads are bad for: portability.

The only reason I got Ignition 2.0's rather than a Cobalt Flux of BNS metal was that I constantly take my pads into the student union and to other people's houses to play. Lugging around a CF is a BITCH compared to slapping an Ignition under your arm and going.

Vark

I just got a metal pad off of ebay, (the one with the 4 screws in the middle). I've been using the regular soft pads for about 4 years now and I'm sort of pissed I waited this long. The response is just so much better.

I bought 2 metal pads on Ebay about 2 yeas ago (w/shipping it cost around $250 or so...I believe). The biggest problems I had with them was that you could not play it in socks - you would break your feet when you'd hit the metal sections of the pad (which bordered every arrow). Also, the pads never laid completely flat and wobbled slightly with each step. Even worse yet, the plastic covering for on a few of the arrows cracked after less than a month of playtime. But, the biggest problem I had with them was that after the first week, one of the arrows stopped registering altogether. I was able to fix it for awhile, then it happened to the other pad as well. After about 2 months, only 1 arrow still registered. I ultimately just gave the damned things away...

Here's an ebay link to the type of pads I purchase. Stay away from these ones.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=21185&item=8137771205&rd=1

Top Bottom