• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Cells final update coming August 19th

Draugoth

Gold Member
GT0ok5NWYAArPtZ

The End is... 19th August

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Maybe I'll finally play the thing now. I don't even recognize this game anymore. While I know they've put out a ton of content that was well-received, I'm really just not a fan of a game like this constantly changing.

CamHostage

Maybe I'll finally play the thing now. I don't even recognize this game anymore. While I know they've put out a ton of content that was well-received, I'm really just not a fan of a game like this constantly changing.

Huh? You don't like it because of the difficulty and pathing adjustments which changed how to play or what's earned and how much stuff there is to do, or you just don't like the implication of SP games being modified over the stock original release package instead of making a sequel or "getting it right the first time" as far as having a complete and consistent content package from day one?

Power Pro

Yeah, makes my physically version also feel frustratingly out of date. I thought I might be safe when I got the Return to Castlevania version, but nope, they kept putting out more updates still.

Last edited:

thief183

Yeah, makes my physically version also feel frustratingly out of date. I thought I might be safe when I got the Return to Castlevania version, but nope, they kept putting out more updates still.
It has always been more content getting along with the original one so it keeps it fresh for a long time.

jcorb

I'd actually just watched a video detailing some of the messiness of this game, and some potential beef between MotionTwin and Evil Empire (the original dev company, versus the one that's added most everything since launch). It's actually super interesting, although kind of a shame that it seems like Evil Empire may have been forced off the project, when it's clear they had plans to continue supporting the game.

Mr Hyde

I thought Castlevania was the definitive edition but it's great to see Twin Motion still put out content. But I understand if it's time to move on.

cireza

Gold Member
I have been playing this on Switch with the Castlevania edition. I really like the game, but I don't like a lot of the DLC. It would have been nice to be able to toggle off all the DLCs in the options to be able to play the Vanilla version of the game (at least in terms of levels), in order to avoid going into some of the ridiculous levels they added in whatever DLC. Someone discovering the game with the Castlevania edition is simply overwhelmed, and you end up in some pretty lame levels where the difficulty is high, and they don't even send you in the path to unlocking the few skills required to visit everywhere.

This complaint appart, I have to say that Dead Cells is one of the very best modern games I have played. It is excellent, gameplay is fast and super fun, visuals and music are unique and create a fantastic atmosphere. This is easily a 9/10 game, something I would put at the very top of what Western developers created in the last 10 years, alongside Outer Wilds, Streets of Rage IV and Sonic Mania.

Last edited:
I personally didn't like how they handled the expansion content, with the heavy reliance on FOMO. "Oh, this path? Yeah the door is right here but you need to buy the expansion, sorry! Yeah, we will constantly remind you that you should buy the expansions by leaving these closed off areas on your map screen to taunt you."

I would have preferred the base game without the FOMO. Yes, I bought the expansion pass, obviously. I doubt that I would have without the in-game FOMO, though. I almost never buy expansions.

Last edited:

BlackTron

I only tried this game when it came out, maybe good thing I procrastinated. It does seem good, but something about it screamed "shelf for later". Still have the cart, which granted doesn't have all the DLC but locks in access to the original game I guess. Not sure there's any reason you'd want to though after updates.

Edit: Maybe it is desirable after reading posts above :messenger_neutral:

Last edited:

sn0man

I hear the physical folks hurting for the continuous nature of this. I had Netflix and so got free access on phone. Played and got hooked to the point that I realized it’s very very good but none of the physical editions are the final game. I waited for a steam sale and am happy I went that route.

Freeman76

Huh? You don't like it because of the difficulty and pathing adjustments which changed how to play or what's earned and how much stuff there is to do, or you just don't like the implication of SP games being modified over the stock original release package instead of making a sequel or "getting it right the first time" as far as having a complete and consistent content package from day one?
I swear ppl just hate everything for no damn reason these days. Push out free updates for years and ppl still find a way to piss themselves lol

Top Bottom