• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition |OT| first real survival-horror for X360

seady

Will add to my collection of ridiculous survivor horror games collection that includes games like:

Escape from Bug Island
Obscure
Cursed Mountain
Clock Tower
D
Enemy Zero
etc

seady

Wark said:
2ege9o2.png

Suddenly the urge to eat sausage.

Bizzyb

Banned
Game looks like garbage. It would be a riot if this game actually outsold Silent Hill on Wii....at $20 that is almost possible....almost.

Alright went ahead and picked up my copy of Rainy Woo... I mean Deadly Premonition at lunch from gamestop! Will post impressions later tonight!

Love the text from the back of the box:

Welcome to GreenVale... a remote town where MYSTERY AND MURDER go hand in hand. Assume the role of Agent Francise York Morrigan, and delve deeper into GREENVALE'S DEADLY SECRETS.Interrogation, investigation, and BLOODY CRIME SCENES await you in this seemingly sleepy town. CAN YOU SURVIVE LONG ENOUGH to fulfill your Deadly Premonition?

randomwab

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Alright went ahead and picked up my copy of Rainy Woo... I mean Deadly Premonition at lunch from gamestop! Will post impressions later tonight!

Love the text from the back of the box:

You already have it? LUCKY! You gotta post impressions! So excited to hear about it!

Please be region free! ;_;

randomwab said:
You already have it? LUCKY! You gotta post impressions! So excited to hear about it!

Please be region free! ;_;

Will do.

Since we all really have no idea how this game is... lets take a look at the instructions.

I'm looking at the intructions here at work. Viewing the mpa icons, it seem there is a driveable car. Could there possible be some GTA like exploring to locations? Seems to point towards it so far. See a map picture with lots of icons and a icon legend. There are icons as it says that "A destination for advancing the story. This icon will be shown when the current time is within the limit constraints", likewise there is a icon for "not meeting the limit constraints" Whatever that means. Sleep icons, telephone icons, male and female character icons, fish icons :lol , special items, sheriffs office, etc.

The game has a time and weather system it says and that it affects how certain characters act and what they do, it suggests visiting them in different times.

There a notion here that says "The other world"

As you progress through the game, you will find yourself visiting locations that have been affected by the other world. You will encounter enemies here that will attack you. Defeat enemies to proceed and collects items. You can escape from the other world by completeing a criminal profiling or reaching a certain location. Note1: Warning from midnight (0:00) to 6:00 am, the area outside the building will be affected by the other world and be populated with enemies. These areas reverse to normal once its after 6:00am.

Side missions: Aquiring certain items or talking to certain chracters may initiate "side missions that are not directly related to the main case. Completeing them will reward you with items and/or money

Lots of interesting ideas here I'm reading about. Give me a bit more idea of the game. I'll post some more stuff from the intructions if it seems interesting enough.

randomwab

slasher_thrasher21 said:
There a notion here that says "The other world"

Lots of interesting ideas here I'm reading about. Give me a bit more idea of the game. I'll post some more stuff from the intructions if it seems interesting enough.

That Other World stuff sounds great, and it seems like an interesting way to handle it.

And yeah, the town itself is pretty large. A friend of mine has been following the game religiously over the past few weeks and some of the stuff he's been telling me sounds really nice.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
I'm looking at the intructions here at work. Viewing the mpa icons, it seem there is a driveable car. Could there possible be some GTA like exploring to locations? Seems to point towards it so far. See a map picture with lots of icons and a icon legend. There are icons as it says that "A destination for advancing the story. This icon will be shown when the current time is within the limit constraints", likewise there is a icon for "not meeting the limit constraints" Whatever that means. Sleep icons, telephone icons, male and female character icons, fish icons :lol , special items, sheriffs office, etc.

Yeah it's an open world adventure game with comical RE4 style shooting sequences. Course it's one of those adventure games where you can only explore inbetween missions or when you have free time waiting for the clock to hit X hour. If you stay out too late you will get attacked by monster truck sized dobermans...

Fishing is...interesting...

eXistor

This game looks like absolutely garbage. I'm gonna buy it right now! It's region free apparantly, so I'm in.

Alright already read some more interesting stuff. There is a tool box that you can store stuff in like the old school horror games. Though if you find a item it states you can hit y on it sending it to the toolbox immediatly. You also can change your suit and clean it. It states if you don't clean it you will attract bugs and annoy others!

Along with the life bar there is actually a pulse bar, its basically like your running bar. Neat idea I guess. You also have a lunch gauge, if you don't eat after being hungry for a certain time, it will start depleating your health. Gotta eat at the sherrifs or items. A sleep gauge as well. Once its depleted your hunger gauge deplets faster. HOLY SHIt... thats alot of gauges lol Will see if it becomes cumbersome!

There seems to be a criminal profiling investigation in the game. Uses something called Keyflags, which I'm guessing is another word for evidence. It states the more keyflags you have when you decide to profile someone the more specific the profiling will be.

Holding X runs, down and X turns around, left and right bumper are for strafing, right trigger aims, left trigger lock on, a is shoot/attack, b is reload. Flashlight is y.Seems standard, though it does not suggest if you can shoot and move at the same time! At some points in the game it states you can hold your breath with the left trigger and enemies will not notice you... interesting. Some driving controls here, nothing complicated. States that once you obtain a master key you can drive all police cars,, using the signal flare will allow you to call a new police car regardless of where you are (you can run out of gas apparently) also certain stores you can buy cars and drive them. Money is given to you by a check from your job (I assume from what it says) and the side and main missions.

Whew, I think thats the most interesting stuff from the instruction book.

Ohhhh mini games!!!! Fishing, darts, and circuit racing!!!!

randomwab

eXistor said:
This game looks like absolutely garbage. I'm gonna buy it right now! It's region free apparantly, so I'm in.

Source? I'm still holding off on ordering it until I get confirmation on this.

Also, your killing me with all the cool details from the instructions slasher_thrasher. Keep 'em coming! :D

randomwab said:
Source? I'm still holding off on ordering it until I get confirmation on this.

Also, your killing me with all the cool details from the instructions slasher_thrasher. Keep 'em coming! :D

Well I can say the instruction bookless is both in english and french??? I think its french ( not good with other languages lol Don't hate)! Same with on the back of the box. So that would make me think it is indeed region free but I can't confirm it. Yeah this game seems like such a niche cool title. Here is to hoping when I play it, it won't be to the point of crazy obscurity. Reading the instructions I feel like the game is going to be like a horror/detective/gta/harvest moon game. If that makes any damn sense. Open world, horror theme, crimes to solve, and characters that you can talk to at only certain moments, or things being accomplished, etc at the right time (which is what you do in Harvest moon alot! lol)

Also game is broken down into episodes, with each episode broken down into chapters. WOOHOOO!

scitek

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Well I can say the instruction bookless is both in english and french??? I think its french ( not good with other languages lol Don't hate)! Same with on the back of the box. So that would make me think it is indeed region free but I can't confirm it.

Canadians speak French, and they're in North America.

Still optimistic, but I'm not sure how I feel about the hunger/sleep thing. I guess it could work if well-executed but it seems overcomplicated to me.

dallow_bg said:
Game has fishing side-games.

I'll play anything with a fishing side-game.

When you catch a "present", you receive a cardboard image of a present attached to the line. What??

I wonder if it still costs $50 to buy a cracker or lolipop in DP.

Swittcher

Banned
Your computer doesn't have the processing power to capture and encode video footage such high quality poly counts, normal mapping, and draw distances that the game possesses.

So just basically completed the prologue. Wow.... this is definetly a budget title all the way. The aiming is a tad off, the oddness of the entire game is definetely there. The narative is already confusing me. You get money for all the enemies you kill. The game is just odd... but when I say this, its in such a "good b game/movie" sorta way that I'm digging it big time. :D This is definetly not for people who want good graphics, or normal conventions in gaming, the game is definetly out there.

The game does reminds me of old school survival horror games though and thats a good thing! :D

Wark

I think the game looks pretty interesting, but I don't think it's a definite first day buy for me. I'm sure I'll check it out eventually though -- and, yeah, I wish the midgets were still in it. :lol

Picked up this game at GS this afternoon and got to play about a half hour. It's...weird. Like, Suda 51 weird and it even has it's own odd director, Swery.

The main character keeps talking to someone named Zach, and mentions that he saw a sign in his coffee this morning that his milk made. It's really Twin Peaks-like and while it's a bit clunky, I'm interested in what the hell's going on. Attacking is clunky but none of the enemies are really a problem yet. I love how the gun does next to nothing damage-wise whereas the steel pipe will one shot some enemies. It's pretty campy (music that plays when the MC is introduced and his conversation about Tom and Jerry) but intriguing.

Definitely PS2 style graphics, but the enemies kind of shuddering towards you is pretty cool.

Takuhi

The Tom & Jerry joke actually made me laugh!

If the gameplay turns out to be non-awful, I'm totally picking this up.

randomwab

MiniDitka said:
So far the game has turned out to be very cool, kind of like a combination of Twin Peaks + Silent Hill thematically and Silent Hill + GTA gameplay wise. I'll get some more vids up soon.

Gameplay 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN2dPkhIfu0

Silent Hill, an already heavily Twin Peaks inspired video game + Twin Peaks = Deadly Premonition? Aaaaawwww Yeaaaaaaah!

I am so there. Everyone's impressions sound great. Really can't wait to try this.

I'm sitting in work now, waiting for someone to come in with an iPhone so I can jump on YouTube and watch the videos. ;_;

MiniDitka said:
So far the game has turned out to be very cool, kind of like a combination of Twin Peaks + Silent Hill thematically and Silent Hill + GTA gameplay wise. I'll get some more vids up soon.

Gameplay 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN2dPkhIfu0

I agree with Mini here! I mean don't get me wrong, the game has some issues, especially since its a lower budget title, but its still a very cool unique/title and for being a low budget I feel like it aims to be a better lower budget title if that makes sense :D . First impressions make me think the game is fairly big. Will see as I get to play some more this weekend.

I'm not a huge fan of the aiming because it feels slow and then speeds up a bit the longer you move it in one direction, but the help of a lock on fixes this, though you get bonus points for headshots and since the enemies don't move insanely fast, that helps as well. Still creeps me out when the baddies shove their arms down your throat.Thats just straight up creepy.

Top Bottom