• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly SEAL Raid In Yemen Signals Shift In Anti-Terror Strategy Under Trump

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordOfChaos

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...als-shift-in-anti-terror-strategy-under-trump

A daring special operations raid into Yemen was approved by the White House and executed this weekend, leaving one US soldier dead and three wounded. Details remain sketchy, but a group made up primarily of America's most notorious tier one counter-terrorism force, SEAL Team Six, flew into war-torn Yemen to raid an al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) headquarters in the al-Bayda region of the country. The raid was supposedly a kill-capture and site exploitation operation aimed at the group's key leadership, including AQAP kingpin Qasim al Raymi.

A special operations mission that strikes deep into the heart of a war-torn country like Yemen leverages a whole array of assets, including transport, surveillance, and tactical air support aircraft. Since a civil war continues to smolder in the country, and Saudi Arabia and Arab gulf states have reignited operations in and over the country, coordination with these separate elements may have been required in order to deconflict the airspace and to make sure no deadly mistakes were made.

The thing is, although US special operations forces have been active in western Africa, they have largely stayed out of Yemen since the country sunk into civil war two years ago. Nearly all known US operations in the country have been targeted assassination and surveillance missions executed by unmanned aircraft. Two occurred just days ago, only a few days after Donald Trump took up shop in the Oval Office.

But the use of ”boots on the ground," especially in such a high-risk and offensive manner, appears to be something new, and is likely a sign of President Trump's more aggressive war on islamic extremism.

Interesting article. Seems like this went under the radar with waves hand at universe all of this. Trumps approach, expectedly, is more brash and risky, the results will have to be seen.

LQX

Considering that in less than a month of Trumps presidency they have changed tactics this is probably the approach the military has been wanting to take for awhile but were probably held back by Obama.

Biske

They should probably try to avoid murdering families and children indiscriminately.

I know we are the US and that kind of shit is kind of our thing for the past god knows how long.

But going out there and creating super villain origin stories isn't what we should be doing.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The targeted assassination era under Obama wasn't much better. Watch the movie Dirty Wars.

I was waiting for this to get press.

The reason it didn't get press was because frankly after it went wrong, he didn't want anyone to make a big deal about it.

If it went right he would have held a press conference showing how devastating action has better results than obama drone strikes. Obama had denied the go ahead, but big man Trump needed a victory.

An 8 year old girl got shot in the neck, by a squad who had lost a solider to a gunman outside the target building, a squad that had taken injuries. Of course that wasn't all but that's a decent summary.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
The targeted assassination era under Obama wasn't much better. Watch the movie Dirty Wars.

Yeah honestly if our military is going to be murdering people, at least it should be done on the ground.

At least then theres some pretense of accountability.

bionic77

Trust me guys.

THIS time we can defeat terrorism with warfare. We just have to kill even more.

Says our orange fuhrer. 16 years into the war on terror....

BajiBoxer

Banned
The planning of those operations takes time, it probably was decided in the last days of Obama.

Not sure about the 2nd, but first one was Trump's:

NBC said:
In what an official said was the first military raid carried out under President Donald Trump, two Americans were killed in Yemen on Sunday — one a member of SEAL Team 6 and the other the 8-year-old daughter of Anwar al-Awlaki, the New Mexico-born al Qaeda leader who himself was killed in a U.S. strike five years ago.

The raid in southern Yemen, conducted by the supersecret Joint Special Operations Command, was intended to capture valuable intelligence, specifically computer equipment, according to a senior U.S. military official. Three al Qaeda leaders were killed, according to U.S. officials.

Contrary to earlier reporting, the senior military official said, the raid was Trump's first clandestine strike — not a holdover mission approved by President Barack Obama. The mission involved "boots on the ground" at an al Qaeda camp near al Bayda in south central Yemen, the official said.

"Almost everything went wrong," the official said.
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/seal-american-girl-die-first-trump-era-u-s-military-n714346

CNN reported that she was most likely being used as a human shield. Not that it makes it any less tragic.

personally if that kind of stuff is smoothy claimed, I want to see the receipts.

One could say that with a straight face if she was living in a house next to the compound with her mum. One could say she was being "used as a human shield", because the bad guys let innocents live next door.
We're supposed to believe and I'm sure the alt-right instantly do, that at 3am or whatever a terrorist grabbed an 8 year old and held her like a shield, thinking that would save his skin, even though the seals have night vision, and are crack shots. Yeah. no. not buying it without proof.

Biske

CNN reported that she was most likely being used as a human shield. Not that it makes it any less tragic.

There's really no way to spin the murder of an 8 year old girl.

The US murders children and creates terrorists. It is what it is. We've been doing this for years.

You throw in "hey lets make america torture again!" and whats the fucking point?

Terror as an Anti-Terror strategy... it was horrific for Bush and Obama to do it, but Trump to shout it proudly from the roof tops, horrific and stupid.

Chichikov

One of the few good outcomes that may come out of a Trump presidency is that people will start paying attention to the bullshit the US is doing in Yemen.

SURGEdude

So the change in strategy is have more soldiers killed and kill the children of terrorists?

Sounds about right from the guy who wanted to kill the families of suspected terrorists.

The only person I know in the forces leaves in 2 weeks. I'm so glad.

Edit: And no Obama doesn't get a pass on this. What he did was horrific and will almost certainly be one of a handful of things which taint his fairly impressive legacy.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.

NBC News is saying this.

"My granddaughter was staying for a while with her mother, so when the attack came, they were sitting in the house, and a bullet struck her in her neck at 2:30 past midnight. Other children in the same house were killed," al-Awlaki said. He said the girl died two hours after being shot.

"They [the SEALs] entered another house and killed everybody in it, including all the women. They burned the house. There is an assumption there was a woman [in the house] from Saudi Arabia who was with al Qaeda. All we know is that she was a children's teacher."

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/seal-american-girl-die-first-trump-era-u-s-military-n714346

So the change in strategy is have more soldiers killed and kill the children of terrorists?

Sounds about right from the guy who wanted to kill the families of suspected terrorists.

The only person I know in the forces leaves in 2 weeks. I'm so glad.

My little cousin who is like a little brother to me wants to join the Marines. I am trying my hardest to wait a year to see what happens with Trump.

And by the way the 8 year old girl was american born.

Not that it makes any difference to me .. but it is ironic that Trumps first military escapade kills an 8 year old american citizen.

boots on the ground vs drone strikes, tough choice
Proper decision making in the use of both.

Something that there be less of if Trump is looking for his first ground military win.

All I remember now is that joke Philip Seymour Hofman said at the end of Charlie Wilson's War.

SURGEdude

NBC News is saying this.

"My granddaughter was staying for a while with her mother, so when the attack came, they were sitting in the house, and a bullet struck her in her neck at 2:30 past midnight. Other children in the same house were killed," al-Awlaki said. He said the girl died two hours after being shot.

"They [the SEALs] entered another house and killed everybody in it, including all the women. They burned the house. There is an assumption there was a woman [in the house] from Saudi Arabia who was with al Qaeda. All we know is that she was a children's teacher."

My little cousin who is like a little brother to me wants to join the Marines. I am trying my hardest to wait a year to see what happens with Trump.

I hope you win that conversation. I hope he joins only with a clear mind of where we are headed. Good on him for the desire to serve though.

Also be careful to take the accounts of someone like al-Awlaki seriously, just like the Trump administration they have every reason to lie. Frankly that applies in a somewhat lesser extent to any administration.

Everybody's got a narrative to push.

"They [the SEALs] entered another house and killed everybody in it, including all the women. They burned the house. There is an assumption there was a woman [in the house] from Saudi Arabia who was with al Qaeda. All we know is that she was a children's teacher.".

Winning those Hearts and Minds, guys,
Hearts and Minds.

We are all Putin now.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
I hope you win that conversation. I hope he joins only with a clear mind of where we are headed. Good on him for the desire to serve though.

Also be careful to take the accounts of someone like al-Awlaki seriously, just like the Trump administration they have every reason to lie. Frankly that applies in a somewhat lesser extent to any administration.

Everybody's got a narrative to push.

He wants to join because his Uncle was a Marine. He looks up to him. Just scared for him to go in at this time especially with a new president who doesn't seem to know what he is doing. If he can wait a year or two. I will be happy. It is his choice and we are here to support him.

sonicmj1

So the guy who was going to stand up for veterans spends his first days in office passing a stupid executive order which keeps the very people who helped them in Iraq out of the country and causes a soldier's mother to die, and engaging in a relatively pointless ground raid that gets a Navy SEAL killed?

Really supporting our troops there.

Really tough to sit here and armchair general behind the comfort of our computers while these dudes are out there, but it never reads good or is good when innocent life is taken.. women, children or men. I do wonder the conditions of the raid and if intel was not correct which lead to mistakes. Losing a SEAL means shit went south.

I'd prefer the US not get involved in foreign countries.

Gutek

They also shot and killed a 8 year old girl if I am not mistaken.

As promised. Trump said he wanted to kill the families of terrorists.

And by the way the 8 year old girl was american born.

Not that it makes any difference to me .. but it is ironic that Trumps first military escapade kills an 8 year old american citizen.

Wait, how is this not completely exploding in the administration's faces?

As promised. Trump said he wanted to kill the families of terrorists.

Wait, how is this not completely exploding in the administration's faces?

Just thinking aloud here. One can dream right.

She was an american citizen and a child so not an enemy combatant.
so can he be impeached for manslaughter?

Chichikov

Really tough to sit here and armchair general behind the comfort of our computers while these dudes are out there, but it never reads good or is good when innocent life is taken.. women, children or men. I do wonder the conditions of the raid and if intel was not correct which lead to mistakes. Losing a SEAL means shit went south.

I'd prefer the US not get involved in foreign countries.
It's not easy, but I think we should all ask ourselves how is this shit helping the US, because we've been fucking that chicken one way or another for almost decade and I'm not sure I can see how it advanced American interests.

Sunster

personally if that kind of stuff is smoothy claimed, I want to see the receipts.

One could say that with a straight face if she was living in a house next to the compound with her mum. One could say she was being "used as a human shield", because the bad guys let innocents live next door.
We're supposed to believe and I'm sure the alt-right instantly do, that at 3am or whatever a terrorist grabbed an 8 year old and held her like a shield, thinking that would save his skin, even though the seals have night vision, and are crack shots. Yeah. no. not buying it without proof.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who questions that. I mean maybe once or twice it could happen but literally every single time a child is killed I hear the "human shields, what can you do?" line. Come onnnnnn. Ya dun fucked up SEALS. Live with it.

It's not easy, but I think we should all ask ourselves how is this shit helping the US, because we've been fucking that chicken one way or another for almost decade and I'm not sure I can see how it advanced American interests.

It protected our freedom of course!!! Taliban and ISIS would be at our doorstep if we weren't at their's!!!

Just thinking aloud here. One can dream right.

She was an american citizen and a child so not an enemy combatant.
so can he be impeached for manslaughter?
Obama dropped.20,000+ bombs that killed many innocents via collateral damage. Should he have been impeached, or should we skip that and go right to the international war crimes tribunal?

ZOONAMI

Considering that in less than a month of Trumps presidency they have changed tactics this is probably the approach the military has been wanting to take for awhile but were probably held back by Obama.

If guys keep getting killed and wounded, especially spec ops, they aren't going to want to keep taking this approach.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I'd imagine this was planned longer than in a week though.

Obama dropped.20,000+ bombs that killed many innocents via collateral damage. Should he have been impeached, or should we skip that and go right to the international war crimes tribunal?

I don't support the drone strikes either and listened to NPR programs on the issues around them. Unfortunately try as I might I couldn't come up with a much better choice especially as Iraq shows that invasion and rebuilding wasn't very easy.

However this may not be collateral damage from good intentions if trump actually has elected to kill families as a lesson.
That stuff loses one all moral ground.

I don't support the drone strikes either and listened to NPR programs on the issues around them. Unfortunately try as I might I couldn't come up with a much better choice especially as Iraq shows that invasion and rebuilding wasn't very easy.

However this may not be collateral damage from good intentions if trump actually has elected to kill families as a lesson.
OK, so we are making up inflammatory nonsense for speculation now? Yes, if Trump sent seal team six to kill families, we can try him with the Clintons for personally murdering Vince foster.

OK, so we are making up inflammatory nonsense for speculation now? Yes, if Trump sent seal team six to kill families, we can try him with the Clintons for personally murdering Vince foster.

No need, we can try Clinton for running a basement pedophile ring out of a basement that doesn't exist. I can send you some hairraising links if you are interested. I think they are on to something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom