• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Cab For Cutie / The Postal Service Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
About 3 months ago, my roommate sent me a song titled The District Sleeps Alone Tonight. Having no prior knowledge of the song nor the band, I became obsessed with this song. Literally listening to this song for about a month. And then I discovered the rest of the album. Holy cow! The Postal Service - Give Up is a great album! It truly is amazing. The lryics simply cannot be matched. The entire album is just amazing; however here are my notable songs:

01 - The District Sleeps Alone Tonight
02 - Such Great Heights
03 - Sleeping In
04 - Nothing Better
06 - Clark Cable
09 - Brand New Colony

The album has only 10 tracks on it, and the tracks I didn't mention are amazing as well, but do get a little tiresome, but when listening to the tracks in order simply complement the other songs. Truly amazing!

Then last month I discovered that the singer from The Postal Service has another band titled Death Cab For Cutie. OMG! Literally for almost a month straight I have listened to nothing but their Plans album. I have yet to even listen to their other albums, because I am still obsessing with this album. I would list my favorite tracks, but every song on this album is amazing. I cannot truly say how many times I have listened to this. And to top it off, where I work at, plays two of the songs from this album, which makes the work experience even more memorable.

Truly a great band. The singer Ben Gibbard, has an amazing soothing voice.

Oh and The Postal Service is coming out with another album soon.

Umino

Because certain people need something to talk about.
tehjaybo said:
I like The Postal Service, but hate Death Cab.

Go figure, eh?

so much depends
upon

a black apostrophe
mark

it stands for
ditto

inside the forum
neogaf

Jason

I saw them open up for the Dismemberment Plan on the Death & Dismemberment tour. They bored me to tears.

GilloD

Banned
I really like "We Have The Facts and We're Voting Yes" and "Photobooth" is a great record, also. Everything after that is awfully "eh" worthy. Their best songs are always on 7", though. Underwater is one of my favorite songs, period, and it's nigh impossible to get ahold of it. They re-recorded it for an iTunes session, but it was way too much spit 'n polish.

SolKane said:
Let's appreciate two over-hyped generic indie bands. yay.

It's the GAF Way! (tm)

I have neither hate nor love for Gibbard, but I have to say I don't think Death Cab for Cutie handled the transition to a major label too well. Or in other words, Plans sucks ass.

Oh and their cover of Daniel Johnston's Dream Scream sucks too.

beelzebozo said:
<3 postal service.
"brand new colony" is one of the most hopeful yet heartbreaking songs i've ever heard.

quoted for truth

brand new colony said:
I want to take you far from the cynics int his town
And kiss you on the mouth
We'll cut out bodies free from the tethers of this scene,
Start a brand new colony
Where everything will change,
We'll give ourselves new names (identities erased)
The sun will hear the grounds
Under our bare feet in this brand new colony
Everything will change

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
made doubly sad by the way the dream starts so realistically--just as a simple thing, like living in a little apartment with a fire escape, and listening to old records, and having nice dinners--and gradually escalates into something completely unattainable.

in other words, everything he wishes could happen, won't. but there's so much damn hope in all those crazy dreams.

just so good.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Amazing popular stuff.

.. Which of course means it's be hated on here!

Not liking "Soul Meets Body" should be a sin. What a beautiful song.

My cousin went to college with the guys in Death Cab, so I've been a fan of theirs ever since I saw them play at a house party up in Bellingham, WA back in 1998. While I prefer their older material over Plans, I still enjoy them.

Zilch

Banned
Easytoremember said:
I have neither hate nor love for Gibbard, but I have to say I don't think Death Cab for Cutie handled the transition to a major label too well. Or in other words, Plans sucks ass.

I think they just made a mediocre album, and the move to a major label was just coincidence.

I love Postal Service but haven't yet made an effort to go out and get a DCFC CD. Somehow I don't feel like I'd like it. Don't know, though.

Jimmy Tamborello DJ'ed the last Wired party. I was like OMG HI ARE YOU MAKING A NEW POSTAL SERVICE CD and he was like yes

Flynn

Gamer nerd trivia:

This:
B00009V7RG.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V64077287_.jpg

is the old bedroom of the young lady who makes this.

Like Postal Service, not a big fan of Death Cab. Although I did enjoy Transatlanticism in my trip to Florida. Very relaxing.

The Dictrict Sleeps Alone Tonight is a great song.

Futureman

Postal Service is coming out with a new record soon.

I like their first album, don't really know Death Cab too well, though what I've heard is pretty good stuff.

GilloD

Banned
Tameberllo's old stuff with Figurine (And not that new James Figurine crap. And not the Danish band Figurines, either) is so very much proto-Postal Service. You might wanna check it out. It's OOP, I think, but maybe if you PM me I can help you, uh, find a copy.

Flynn

GilloD said:
Tameberllo's old stuff with Figurine (And not that new James Figurine crap. And not the Danish band Figurines, either) is so very much proto-Postal Service. You might wanna check it out. It's OOP, I think, but maybe if you PM me I can help you, uh, find a copy.

Yeah, the whole first Figurine record is almost all 8-bit sounding stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom