• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Detailed Impressions of Richard Burns Rally

gtmax

Seems we have the first true SIM on a console.

The game (Xbox version) arrived from Simply Games this morning - four days before the street date.

I've spent 30 minutes with the game so far. So here are my first impressions.

No widescreen - bit of a bummer that.

Graphics are rather good. Though they a so understated and realistic compared to the likes of Rallisport that some people will be disappointed. Car models aren't amazing - but look fine in replays. It's all rather smooth.

Handling. Well unless you liked Grand Prix Legends, I wouldn't bother. This game is the complete opposite to those games where you could keep your right trigger mashed. Here you'll hardly ever give it full throttle. I've just played a USA stage where I could use full throttle on a long straight. I got up to top speed then actually backed off because it was too scary.

My first stage was a disaster, crashing at almost every corner. Then I backed off and realised I couldn't play it like Rallisport. Slowed down quite a bit, used the camber of the corners and is started coming together. It's definitely very simmy - with no margin for error and no full throttle showboating.

The physics are excellent. If you drive the game at normal road speeds it feels like a car you would be used to. Then start going rally speeds and you realise you've not played anything this realistic and it's going to be something of a challenge. Watch the car in a replay and you see weight and poise that has been missing from games like this in the past. The movement really does look like a real car.

The options are very thorough. For example you can choose to switch on Nuetral and Gear protection, which stop you dropping down gears too far at high speed. There's a whole menu to control pace-notes - where you can choose how far ahead they are read, how many corners in the stack, distance call outs etc. The car setup menu is very thorough - you can alter all the differential maps, for example.

The rally school is good in that it teaches you to slow down and play steady. Something I haven't done in rally games since Rally Championship. This game is the spiritual successor to that game. So if you liked that, GPL or Master Rallye - then it's worth giving RBR a go. But if you're not into sims then I'd give it a miss - because it really is tough.

And no, there's no pivot.

----------------------------------------
Played the first group of rally schools lessons and then felt more comfortable. The slowish corners do seem very slow, but you're doing 50 kmh which is still pretty fast in real terms. And it's real terms we have to think of when playing this game. I've played loads of Rallisport recently and I'm used to mashing the throttle and not touching the brake very much.

But I'm getting to grips with RBR now and am really liking it. I've decided to play the championship with AI and damage set to the easiest settings, so I can get through all the stages to unlock them. The first event is Great Britain and is bastard hard - but don't let it put you off. It rained most of the time for me and was so difficult. But Japan came next and was a much more pleasent experience.

After that came the snow of Finland. Lots of long open stages here where you can really open the throttle. But just like Rally Championship, you are nervous of doing so as when you do go for it - the game is terrifying. One false move, wheel in a rut, puddle etc. when hit at 150 kmh can result in a spin or much worse. The game is tense, very tense.

Stages tend to be between 6-8km, with some going past 10 km. If that doesn't sound like a lot, then remember you are going much slower than the more arcade based games and the first Japanese stage in the rain took me over nine minutes. That's nine minutes of headache inducing concentration.

Next came a real treat. The US rally on wide, fast, open dirt roads. With a bit more confidence you can open the taps and really go for it. I got up to some mad speeds here and was scared for most of the time. I'm halfway through this event so I will have to report later on the French Tarmac rally and the gravel stages of Australia.

So you can see I'm having a blast. But it's only fair I should mention some faults.

1, Loading times aren't excessive, but it's a pain it loads between menus. Clearly a legacy from PS2 code.
2, On one Finish stage my car dropped through a hole in the space time continuom and fell rolling through a black infinity. Had to reset the machine as retiring would have dumped me out of the rally Didn't happen again for the rest of the day.
3, Kinda related to the above - mid rally you can't quit to the menu, you can only retire. Sometimes we need to leave the Xbox and do some real life stuff. Wish they'd taken that into consideration.
4, Graphics are smooth and look pretty nice. But close up the textures aren't very good.

So overall am having a lot of fun. It's kinda like the GPL of Rally Games. And I'm even happier now I've unlocked the Peugot 206. Remember this is the first game in what will likely become a franchise and it's a pretty good start. It could do with some graphical polish, but the handling and physics are great.

Managed to get a couple of hours behind the wheel again today and worked my way through the rally school. This is an absolute must before evening thinking about tackling the main career mode. Where once I was skidding off into ditches and wrapping the car around trees I'm now (semi) gracefully sliding it through s-bends and flicking the backend out around hairpins. Granted I'm still no master, but I'm slowly re-educating my brain into the ways of proper rally driving.

The rally school gently introduces you to all the techniques Mr Burns uses to get through those winding stages. Even the most basic lessons are a challenge at first, just for the fact your brain has been conditioned from playing so many arcade, and so-called realistic, rally games. After a few lessons it all starts to fall into place. Towards the latter end of the rally school you Richard talks you through the scandinavian flick, which up until now, I've never fully appreciated. The pros just make it look so natural, and I've ended up taking it for granted over the years, but it's not until I pulled it off myself (albeit virtually) I realised how damn scary it is. Flying into the approach of a 90 degree corner at 70mph pointing the wrong way is just plain mental. It goes against common sense, and definitely takes some getting used to.

Now that I've graduated from the rally school I'm able to fully appreciate the handling dynamics of this game. The way the car sinks into the camber of the road through the quick s-bends is absolutely spot on. Looking forward to tackling that career mode now I know how to keep the car on the road
-----------------------------------------------------

've not played through the advanced section of the rally school yet, just the basic section. But I agree with with MW on the value of these lessons. Using the camber on corners is so important in this game. There are corners that seem too tight to take at anything over 50kph, but if you dig the front wheel into the ditch or camber you can ensure the car is pulled round the bend, It really does start to click into place. So where at first the game may seem an annoying stop-start affair, after a while you find youself flying through stages - albeit still terrified (which is a good thing).

I've played through the whole rally championship with AI on the easiest setting and damage on none. The car still takes a beating, but it doesn't affect handling on this setting. I did this so I could unlock all the stages to play in single event mode.

SCI haven't done themselves a great favour in the championship's structure. The first event is Great Britain, and most of the time it will rain. This makes the game look grey and unnactractive, and the handling very diffucult. However get through this rally and things aren't as tough. (Well they weren't until I got to france and it rained all the time on the tarmac rally - but it will be different for everyone every time you play). The UK stages look great in sunshine - there's one through farmland and villages that looks sweet in sunshine - in the rain it looks very drab.

The US stages were amazingly quick. Some real long straights with terrifying speeds. One mistake and you're on a roll. A long car breaking roll. At 200kmh there is no margin for error. So while it does start to come together, and you will flow from corner to corner more, more in fact than seems possible when you start the game - it's still a game where one mistake can mean disaster. So you are always on edge.

There's a stage in Australia called Mineshaft that has the most amazing jump 1km from the end. In the championship I was playing I did the jump and carried on - but at the time I knew it would be a carbreaker. At the end of the rally, once the stages were unlocked, I raced the stage with realistic damage on and went into the jump with the taps wide open. The road drops away and leaves you with a very long fall. That car landed on all four wheels, but the whole suspension and engine were wrecked, and that was the end of the stage. It's so easy to kill the car on Realistic setting - or damage it so badly that you will crawl to the finish. But this is the first rally game I've played where the AI is genuinly dynamic, they are driving too - though you don't see them. Some won't finish and will retire, others will have really bad stages. In the service area there is a text news feed that shows the problems other drivers have had - such as taking wrong turns (I've done that a lot) and car damage. How many rally games have we seen where the same guy will come second every time you win, so that you have to win everything to win the championship. But in the real world drivers will crash out of rallies and still win the championship.

It's not the prettiest game you'll play, not by a long way. And the features and presentation isn't great. But the Dolby Digital sound is good. And there is a lot of depth in there. There's a real sense of accopmlishment in getting a fast time, or even hooking up a couple of corners well. The satisfaction from nicely handbraking around a hairpin, or taking a tight bend sideways. The more I play, the more I'm warming to it.

I hope they get to make a sequel. Because with some more polish this could be a really great franchise. For a first effort, it's bags of fun. Headache inducing fun, but fun none the less.

http://www.granturismox.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2699

Matlock

Banned
This may wind up to be the best game of all time, but I still can't get over the fact the title is "Dick Burns".

thorns

Banned
Some more impressions:

"I've only played a sample copy of the Xbox version and I was very impressed
with the driving model. The different 'feel' of the various driving
surfaces is what really stood out. The game has a proper suspension model,
the car's momentum feels spot on and most importantly the grip levels,
braking distances and slip curves for various road surfaces are supremely
accurate. If you run wide on most tracks into the long grass it actually
gets very bumpy as you'd expect from a real-life track and because of the
realistic suspension model, the car can start bouncing in a very nasty
fashion. =) Fantastic.

Hit a ditch at a bad angle and the car flips in a very pleasing and
realistic way. This brings the damage model into play which is one of, if
not, THE best I've seen.

I'm actually amazed that they released a game like this on consoles (PC
version is coming in September) I can say with great confidence that it
will be a massive flop on PS2 and Xbox. The game has a very serious 'tone'
and it doesn't look anywhere near as flashy as the likes of Rallisport
Challenge 2 or CMR'04 and most kiddies will find the difficulty completely
off-putting. It's already receiving luke-warm reviews from console
reviewers and the common theme is that it's 'too difficult' to drive and not
'fun' enough. hehe....lamers...<g>

I may have only played the Xbox version but I've seen enough to know the PC
version will be a rally simmer's delight and the physics model is
comfortably better than the likes of Rally Tropy, Michelin Rally Masters
etc. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to check out things like garage
options - I spent most of the time admiring the physics model but I hear
that they're quite good. Roll on September! =)"

It truly saddens me that this game will get low scores because it's "too hard" and not "fun" from console reviewers. It already got a 2/10 from some stupid swedish site, while the same guy gave CMR'04 10/10 (doh). I hope at least it sells well enough and that there is a market for "serious" rally games.

FightyF

Banned
This is exactly what I've wanted to hear.

And it makes me cry that the Xbox doesn't have an equally impressive racing wheel.

Redbeard

Banned
This sounds great. I couldn't get into Rallisport 2 as much as everyone else; it always kind of felt like the cars were just sliding around on a completely flat surface rather than tearing through terrain.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Got to play the game this week end. I'm not a fan of Colin Mc Rae the overcraft simulator but I thought I could get into a true simulation as I was a big GLP fan back in the days.
Boy, I was wrong. There is absolutely no way in hell I can play that game. There is a small margin between "seems true to life" and "absolute simulation from hell". For me Richard Burns is unfortunately totally unplayable.
I think I spent about 6 hours on that game. The first 2 were for the driving school, where I actually had to try about 10 times to drive around one (1) corner. Enter it 5 km/h too fast and there you are in the grass, too slow and you'd have to retry. Then the "qualification" where you have to drive on a small track and do a certain time, I think I tried about 20 times just to manage to finish it, and a few times more to finish within the maximum time allowed.
After all that fun (did I mention I already wanted to throw my Xbox through the window ?), the game itself. After some time you finally learn that in order to finish a race you have to drive... carefully. Yes that's right you almost never use the full throttle of your car because it's just too dangerous. Ok maybe it's like that in real life (I don't think it's that bad), but I just can't find this fun at all. Being careful absolutely all the time is the opposite of having fun for me. I managed to finish a few races correctly, but I was so frustrated I wanted to hit the first person I'd see in the street...
The game may be a bit more interesting with a racing wheel, I don't have one (as most Xbox gamers I'd say since there is no true FF for us) so I can't comment on that.
Technically the car physics seems quite well done, nothing to say about that. Too bad the framerate is not that good, especially considering the graphics are quite poor except for the car.
I would not recommend that game to anyone except the most hardcore of the hardcore racers. If you are one then yes Richard Burns is for you, for the rest of us I really can't see how anyone could consider that game fun.

bunkum

Blimblim you simply cannot drive tha cars because no way is it that hard. I find it easiest using the bumper cam. Cannot use the behind car cam on any game.

On easy setting with no damage I have won the GB and Jap rallies first time. When I go to hard settings and damage on then it will really start.

Try using the left foot braking technique becasue it balances the car and speeds you right up on corners

Actual in game videos of the game can be seen here

http://www.bhmotorsports.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=20355&sid=6639fde9ba9ce7fbe96070f1b569438f

Blimblim

The Inside Track
I plan on playing the game more since I'm a big fan of racing games, but for the moment I'm not too confident I may actually get to like it one day. I don't usually play on easy but maybe I'll try that yes.

bunkum

I have it on xbox and find it easier because the 2 triggers allow progressive accelerating and braking and make left foot braking alot easier. I got better by learning the rally school and the in car or bumper cams I find definately the only way to play the game

Blimblim

The Inside Track
bunkum said:
I have it on xbox and find it easier because the 2 triggers allow progressive accelerating and braking and make left foot braking alot easier. I got better by learning the rally school and the in car or bumper cams I find definately the only way to play the game
I'll give that a try tonight

Gregory

Banned
It looks pretty good from those videos, especially from the bumper or in-car cam. Doesn`t seem to be so realistic that it`s unplayable either.

But it`s only 30+ tracks and wrc rallying only so I have a hard time convincing myself to buy it at full price. Maybe after some pricedrops, which should happen very quickly.

bunkum

definately on its way to the USA

Gregory it is quality over quantity. 50 tracks with god awful arcade physics is nothing compared to the majesty that is Richard Burns Rally the only realistic handling rally game on any console

segasonic

this game is shit hard, yes

but very far from realistic, the cars has absolutely no weight and will spin like mad if you hit something with 50 km/h

drive over a bump in the road with 70km/h and you make like 5-10 rollovers

driving a car in real-life is easier than playing richard burns rally

also the graphics are plain ugly and it's almost unplayable with the ps2 controller because of the lack of analog triggers

and btw I got first in the first few rallies as well, so the reason why I dislike the game is not frustration....

bunkum

Don't hit things then ;)

The graphics I must disagree on as they are exactly spot on. Grass is grass and not flourescent. Gravel and sand are gravel and sand and not Tangerine orange. And lastly you drive through a forest and not a boating lake with an ocean liner floating past.

Handling is down to personal preference but I think it is perfect and when I have spun the car I was going to fast or wandered off track and hit a rock.

Gek54

Good GOD this game is incredible. I have not had this much fun driving since GPL and Rally Trophey. The feeling of the car is as close to the real thing that I have ever experienced. Keeping your car in control as your are launching over crests is insane, I couldnt help yelling out loud WOOOO! as I recovered from a massive jump. Driving in 6th gear for more than a few seconds and bowels movements will be come hard to control, as will the car. I thought it was cool how the engine noise increases on the right speaker if you rip off the passenger-side door. I dont know why people can be complaining about the graphics as the cars look amazing and the tracks look VERY natural.

I mean come on:
vortal_pic_110079.jpg

media02.jpg

We wanted realistic and they delivered.

No way I can go back to WRC3 now. Even the driving in Prologue seems wimpy. This game is going to keep me for a long time. I seriously hope they will continue this series without dumbing down the physics.

Slightly dissapointed that it doesnt support the 900 degree steering but I am sure its becuase Sony wants it exclusive until after GT4, I cant understand why. Driving with the Driving Force Pro is still a dream, you can feel every stone, every pot hole and the tug of every bend. Scandinavian Flicks = butter.

Simply one of the most rewarding driving games available. A+

Gregory

Banned
That sound very good indeed. I just need to know one more thing, is the game 60fps at all times? I`ll be getting the Xbox version.

Gek54

PS2 seems a solid 60fps thougth I am running it through my video capture card.

Has anyone hit a bird yet? Supposedly "birdstrikes" are possible. Muwahaha.

Those pics Gek posted must be from the pc version cause when I tried this game on ps2 it didn't look anywhere near that good. Ps2 version looks completely washed out. Also, this game is not 60 fps, at least not on ps2 it isn't. It's quite obvious this game is only 30 fps, and with tearing at that. I'm surprised you claimed it was 60 gek.

Also gek, it DOES support 900 degrees with the gt force pro, you have to enable it yourself in the options, I dunno why it doesn't default to this mode. Doesn't matter, even with the full 900 degrees I still don't like this game. I found it a little too over the top myself, the physics are exagerrated to the point of being unfun. Driving in real life is not as hard as this game would have you believe.

Gek54

Well it seemed faster than PGR2 so I was thinking I had messed up my Dscaler settings. Glad to know about the 900 degree setting. I dont know how I missed that.

Driving in real life is not as hard as this game would have you believe.

Not being able to feel the g-forces greatly inhibits your ability judge what is going on with the tires and the road. TFF helps a little but a unfogiving as RBR you have to really to think hard about how the car will react.

Shompola

Banned
there is pc version and pc version supports force feed back wheel? Then I can just use the gt froce pro on the pc then.

Gek54

Yes it will work though I dont know if the PC will support the 900 degree feature.

At first I couldnt move that fast so the frame rate wasnt that noticable but now that I am getting better and faster the fps is not so nice. Its not to bad though. The gameplay is worth it.

segasonic

Fight for Freeform said:
If the PS2 version looks great, I might as well get the PS2 version because of the wheel.
both versions are ugly

PS2 runs at 60 while Xbox version's framerate is unsteady/jerky

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
segasonic said:
both versions are ugly

PS2 runs at 60 while Xbox version's framerate is unsteady/jerky

the ps2 version is 60!? in a views? dayamn. ps2 rbr >>>>>>>>>> xbox rbr.

Top Bottom