• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Developing] Saudi embassy stormed & set ablaze in Tehran

Status
Not open for further replies.
Iranian Protesters Storm Saudi Missions After Execution of Shi'ite Cleric

Iranian protesters stormed Saudi missions in Tehran and Mashad on Saturday night, hours after Saudi Arabia executed Nimr al-Nimr, a prominent Shi'ite Muslim cleric, and 46 other prisoners.
Images shared on social media early on Sunday morning appeared to show Iranian protesters breaking into Saudi Arabia's embassy in Tehran and starting fires, after gathering there to denounce the kingdom's execution of a Shi'ite cleric. 

http://www.haaretz.com/middle-east-news/1.695063

Currently developing:
https://twitter.com/search?vertical=default&q=Saudi Embassy&src=typd

@HadiNili
videos & pix coming from in front of Saudi compound in Tehran, as protsts to #Nimr's execution continue aftr midnite

//Background for the protests: Saudi Arabia executes 47 for Terror including Shia Saudi cleric Sheikh Nimr al-Nimr

Videos:
https://twitter.com/HadiNili/status/683391322942779392
https://twitter.com/HadiNili/status/683398729626435584

T99xT43.jpg

ou6eEsW.jpg

2K10qvY.jpg

Will update the thread when the news has been picked up by the media.

Mii

Banned
Well there goes any chance for diplomatic peace in Syria, Iraq and Yemen.

Up in flames.

Jb

Just perfect.

Up in flames.

Not sure I see the direct relation between what just happened and the whole Syria/Iraq mess.

Still no reports by reputable agencies as far as I can see.

Yup.

This was inevitable after Saudi executed the Shia Cleric.

KSA starting shit for the hell of it.

Inevitable? An autocratic regime allowing ppl. to storm embassies like it can't do nothing about it? That's sort of an Iranian specialty.

Up in flames.

Pretty sure it went when Russia did this (right after that UN resolution, because lol):
Airstrike kills Syrian rebel leader in Damascus suburb

orochi91

Inevitable? An autocratic regime allowing ppl. to storm embassies like it can't do nothing about it? That's sort of an Iranian specialty.

Of course it was inevitable.

When news broke out that KSA executed Nimr al-Nimr, I made bets with my relatives as to when Iran will retaliate.

The embassy is now on fire, no doubt condoned by the Iranian regime.

Let's see if Rouhani has the balls to actually stop this, I highly doubt it since this was likely RGC backed.

Iran once again showing they act like a petulant child in the realm of diplomatic standards.

Mii

Banned
Just perfect.

Not sure I see the direct relation between what just happened and the whole Syria/Iraq mess.

Syria, Iraq, and Yemen are each proxy wars between Iran and Saudi Arabia, performed by foreign affiliates

Syria
  • Saudi Arabia - the Jihadis they fund directly (Ahrar ash-Sham) and indirectly (Al-Nusra [Al Qaeda], ISIS)
  • Iran: Hezbollah, and of course their strong alliance with Assad for which they have direct involvement through providing key generals and advisers

Iraq
  • Saudi Arabia - Indirectly ISIS, but also greatest influence of any outside country on the Sunni population that is being held by ISIS
  • Iran - The Shia militias unaffiliated with the state and increasing influence on the Shia government

Yemen
  • Saudi Arabia - Direct involvement with use of air force
  • Iran - Houthis

The funds for these ongoing wars come from these two countries because of their regional interests and desire for greater influence. Without having these two countries at peace talks, there will be no peace for any of these countries. In fact, expect this conflict to spread to more countries.

The two have been increasingly involved in hotter direct non-military conflict. For instance, a significant reason for Saudi Arabia flooding the oil market despite their own interests through OPEC is to hurt Iran (and also has some beneficial ramifications with Russia)

Cerium

Let's see if Rouhani has the balls to actually stop this, I highly doubt it since this was likely RGC backed.

Iran once again showing they act like a petulant child in the realm of diplomatic standards.

Rouhani doesn't have the power to stop this.

Sagroth

How likely is this to escalate further? I'm worried the answer is "very," but my knowledge on these matters is extremely limited.

Mii

Banned
How likely is this to escalate further? I'm worried the answer is "very," but my knowledge on these matters is extremely limited.

I doubt either is looking to start a hot war with the other anytime soon, but their cold war will get worse as a result of this, no question.

As far as I know cleric Nimr al-Nimr always called for peaceful protests, political reform and more rights for disenfranchised Shias in Saudi Arabia and never encouraged violence, going as far as to ban his followers from brandishing weapons.

Of course, any call for reform or change in Saudi Arabia is met with repression and shut down. Clever of them to lump this man in along with al-Qaeda militants so as to downplay this disgusting execution.

Fuck Saudi Arabia.

Cerium

The only thing that could send oil prices skyrocketing again would be a hot war between Saudi Arabia and Iran.

Victarion

Absolutely shameful and idiotic behavior. Police could have stopped it if they wanted to but there is no doubt that this is backed by IRGC like the British embassy incident.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Um, SA beheaded and crucified a Shia cleric yesterday as a political message so it's not like Iran has a monopoly on "petulant "

And of course Iran allowed this. Blaming "citizens " for their quasi official shenanigans is their MO.

orochi91

As far as I know cleric Nimr al-Nimr always called for peaceful protests, political reform and more rights for disenfranchised Shias in Saudi Arabia and never encouraged violence, going as far as to ban his followers from brandishing weapons.

Of course, any call for reform or change in Saudi Arabia is met with repression and shut down. Clever of them to lump this man in along with al-Qaeda militants so as to downplay this disgusting execution.

Fuck Saudi Arabia.

+1

Drencrom

Fuck Saudi Arabia.

Great post

Mii

Banned
Um, SA beheaded and crucified a Shia cleric yesterday as a political message so it's not like Iran has a monopoly on "petulant "

And of course Iran allowed this. Blaming "citizens " for their quasi official shenanigans is their MO.

100% Agreed. Everyone needs to know this is very highly likely to have been caused by the Revolutionary Guard. The 'citizens' storming the embassy are not 'average' citizens. The significant majority of the people of Tehran want little to do with these conflicts with Saudi Arabia. Rouhani likely has little to no control of this either. This sort of a command comes from a mix of Revolutionary Guard and the mullahs.

massoluk

Banned
Saudi is just getting batshit insane this past decade. It was kinda insane before, but recently it's just bad decision after bad decision.

antonz

And after this Saudi Arabia still has Al-Nimrs nephew who they arrested when he was 17 and sentenced to death by beheading then crucifixion for "encouraging pro-democracy protests"

pirata

The clusterfuck just keeps going and going and going. My dream lately has been for the warhawks here in the US to finally lose their hold over the government and for us to finally just completely pull out of Western Asia. And I mean completely. No American corporations doing business, no direct flights, no financial or military aid, no special relationships, no export of American pop culture. You want to stop the spread of Western culture and ideas in your lands? You've got it!

A pipe dream for sure. But it's a better pipe dream than thinking some Jeffersonian democracy is going to just sprout out of the ground if we support this group or bomb these people or send the military to stabilize this or that region...

I don't think they will, they don't share a border, otherwise I would say they would dare to do so

They practically share all real & virtual borders between Sunnis & Shiites. Be it in Iraq, Syria, Yemen, Bahrain or elsewhere. Both are feeding the fringe elements of their respective sects.

I also think that the conflict could escalate into a bigger war over time. Especially since Russia is so interested in that war for oil price's sake.
I bet Putin gave all sorts of guarantees to the Iranians in case of a war, but will he be still around when the war breaks out to hold his promise? At the end of the day the Iranian regime is forfeiting its chance to come out of the isolation.

Update:

(...)

Later images showed police in full riot gear guarding the premises as firefighters doused the building. ISNA said Tehran's police chief was on the scene to restore calm.

Foreign Ministry spokesman Hossein Jaber Ansari called for calm and said there should be no more demonstrations around Saudi diplomatic premises, the state news agency IRNA reported.

http://news.yahoo.com/tweets-appear-show-iranian-protesters-storming-saudi-embassy-220019906.html

Jb

Syria, Iraq, and Yemen are each proxy wars between Iran and Saudi Arabia, performed by foreign affiliates

Syria
  • Saudi Arabia - the Jihadis they fund directly (Ahrar ash-Sham) and indirectly (Al-Nusra [Al Qaeda], ISIS)
  • Iran: Hezbollah, and of course their strong alliance with Assad for which they have direct involvement through providing key generals and advisers

Iraq
  • Saudi Arabia - Indirectly ISIS, but also greatest influence of any outside country on the Sunni population that is being held by ISIS
  • Iran - The Shia militias unaffiliated with the state and increasing influence on the Shia government

Yemen
  • Saudi Arabia - Direct involvement with use of air force
  • Iran - Houthis

The funds for these ongoing wars come from these two countries because of their regional interests and desire for greater influence. Without having these two countries at peace talks, there will be no peace for any of these countries. In fact, expect this conflict to spread to more countries.

The two have been increasingly involved in hotter direct non-military conflict. For instance, a significant reason for Saudi Arabia flooding the oil market despite their own interests through OPEC is to hurt Iran (and also has some beneficial ramifications with Russia)

Thanks, wasn't sure if Assad had close ties with Teheran or not.

Oersted

Killing Nimr is quite far away from diplomatic cleverness.

Mii

Banned
I also think that the conflict could escalate into a bigger war over time. Especially since Russia is so interested in that war for oil price's sake.
I bet Putin gave all sorts of guarantees to the Iranians in case of a war, but will he be still around when the war breaks out to hold his promise? At the end of the day the Iranian regime is forfeiting its chance to come out of the isolation.

Update:

I want to call this portion of your statement out for being highly conspiratorial. You are claiming Russia wants a war for a spike in oil prices. Are you going to claim US frackers are also pushing for war? Shouldn't Saudi Arabia and Iran want a war to still have high prices despite significantly more supply worldwide? It is as ridiculous a claim as the US going into Iraq in 2003 for oil. The claims rely on conspiracy, are irresponsible to peddle, and take little account of the realities on the ground.

Mimosa97

The proxy war between Iran and Saudi Arabia has been going on for a long time, peaking recently with the wars in Yemen and Syria. Could this be the the start of a full scale war ?

I want to call this portion of your statement out for being highly conspiratorial. You are claiming Russia wants a war for a spike in oil prices. Are you going to claim US frackers are also pushing for war? Shouldn't Saudi Arabia and Iran want a war to still have high prices despite significantly more supply worldwide? It is as ridiculous a claim as the US going into Iraq in 2003 for oil. The claims rely on conspiracy, are irresponsible to peddle, and take little account of the realities on the ground.

While I think it's kind of conspiratorial nonsense, the KSA has $600b in its back pocket. It can survive far longer at lower oil prices than Iran and it will be the most effective way to harm it.

Of course it's conspiratorial. I did not provide any meaningful sources, nor did I write an essay on it. I'm just connecting the dots are there's nothing tinfoil hat_y about what I said. So I'm not sure why you freak out like that.

Anyhow. Your analogies are false for a number of reasons:

- US fracking is not nearly as vital for US as oil & gas is for Russia.
-- In US, the cheap oil has positive effects on a number of industries even though some industries suffer. You can easily see this in the respective gdp growth percentages.
-- There is a super robust neg. correlation between ruble and the oil price.

- The Russian regime has just annexed part of a sovereign nation and subsequently went to (a covert) war with it, the Russians are (or rather were up until recently) in nationalist fever which we haven't seen for more than half a century in Europe...
-- Putin is sort of forced to keep that shit up, to keep picking fights - which is one of the reasons he went to Syria (along with diverting attention from Ukraine).
-- Why is he forced to keep going? Because the economic situation in Russia is dire and the outlook is really bad. That's why Putin and his stooges fear utter chaos if the oil price keeps dropping or stays at the level it is now. Hence new laws like this one:
Russian Law Allows FSB Agents to Open Fire on Crowds
-- But now his plan is failing in Ukraine, the progress in Syria is barely measurable (except for the no. of civilians getting blown to pieces by air raids).
-- Next up is a war with Turkey (very unlikely) or somehow getting the economy up.
-- But there is round about zero chance of repairing the RU economy without a higher oil price.
-- That's why it's absolutely vital for Putin's regime for that war, or any other major war in the region to happen to somehow elevate the oil price.

This may be comparable to situation Bush jr. found himself in back in 2003 (let's just say in respect to the election '04), but not nearly identical. Russia absolutely depends on the price of oil and so does the regime's physical existence.

Lastly:
Saudi Arabia artificially creates the oversupply so I'm not sure what you're getting at. As for Iran, sure they'd love to have KSA engage in all sorts of wars, for all sorts of reasons, incl. for the potential of a higher oil price, but of course they'd prefer to do it through their proxies (e.g. Houthis).

So even though it seems unlikely at the moment, we do see Iran & KSA increasingly clashing along the Muslim sectarian lines and since both lack nukes there's no MAD to stop them from slipping into a full blown war. At the same time we have the situation with Russia. So it insane to assume that Russia may be helping out through implicit guarantees much in the same way the US does for KSA? Probably not, right?

Foffy

Banned

Fuck Saudi Arabia.

Isn't it sad that a person who promoted peace was killed through violence?

I can only imagine this imploding the region..

Of course it's conspiratorial. I did not provide any meaningful sources, nor did I write an essay on it. I'm just connecting the dots are there's nothing tinfoil hat_y about what I said. So I'm not sure why you freak out like that.

Anyhow. Your analogies are false for a number of reasons:

- US fracking is not nearly as vital for US as oil & gas is for Russia.
-- In US, the cheap oil has positive effects on a number of industries even though some industries suffer. You can easily see this in the respective gdp growth percentages.
-- There is a super robust neg. correlation between ruble and the oil price.

- The Russian regime has just annexed part of a sovereign nation and subsequently went to (a covert) war with it, the Russians are (or rather were up until recently) in nationalist fever which we haven't seen for more than half a century in Europe...
-- Putin is sort of forced to keep that shit up, to keep picking fights - which is one of the reasons he went to Syria (along with diverting attention from Ukraine).
-- Why is he forced to keep going? Because the economic situation in Russia is dire and the outlook is really bad. That's why Putin and his stooges fear utter chaos if the oil price keeps dropping or stays at the level it is now. Hence new laws like this one:
Russian Law Allows FSB Agents to Open Fire on Crowds
-- But now his plan is failing in Ukraine, the progress in Syria is barely measurable (except for the no. of civilians getting blown to pieces by air raids).
-- Next up is a war with Turkey (very unlikely) or somehow getting the economy up.
-- But there is round about zero chance of repairing the RU economy without a higher oil price.
-- That's why it's absolutely vital for Putin's regime for that war, or any other major war in the region to happen to somehow elevate the oil price.

This may be comparable to situation Bush jr. found himself in back in 2003 (let's just say in respect to the election '04), but not nearly identical. Russia absolutely depends on the price of oil and so does the regime's physical existence.

Lastly:
Saudi Arabia artificially creates the oversupply so I'm not sure what you're getting at. As for Iran, sure they'd love to have KSA engage in all sorts of wars, for all sorts of reasons, incl. for the potential of a higher oil price, but of course they'd prefer to do it through their proxies (e.g. Houthis).

So even though it seems unlikely at the moment, we do see Iran & KSA increasingly clashing along the Muslim sectarian lines and since both lack nukes there's no MAD to stop them from slipping into a full blown war. At the same time we have the situation with Russia. So it insane to assume that Russia may be helping out through implicit guarantees much in the same way the US does for KSA? Probably not, right?

Fair point

Kolx

Matt

You'd surprised to know that some people here actually believe Iran is better than SA but whatever.

I mean, they both have huge problems of course...but yeah, Iran is overall much better in terms of human rights. Just compare the treatment of women between the two, it's night and day.

Anion

Absolutely shameful and idiotic behavior. Police could have stopped it if they wanted to but there is no doubt that this is backed by IRGC like the British embassy incident.
Honestly idk about that. Lately Iran has been pretty clever in retaliations, this would be too obvious

Also would expect that the KSA fully expected this and wanted this to happen, so they can use it as an excuse later on. Things aren't looking too good for them lately in the whole Iraq/Syria mess for them

spekkeh

Banned
Of course it's conspiratorial. -zip-

Although I don't think it was Putin's prime reason to join the war I have to admit it makes sense for them to want to increase the oil price and they sure wouldn't be happy with KSA trashing their economy. I don't think their current approach in Syria is going to do much to further that agenda though. They'd do better to cozy up to the US and try to create a front against KSA. But that might be pushing it too far even for them.

Anyway back to Iran, seems clear they let this happen. Can't really blame them though, KSA has been going full retard.

edit: this doesn't seem much better admittedly.

No one tourched Iran embassies when those were executed
Execution of Sunni activities continues in Iran

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom