• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DFW Connector: Texas Completes $1.1 BILLION 24-lane Highway

Status
Not open for further replies.
UNT. Let's start a fight.

Lol please, tell your basketball team to step their game up. I was at the Super Pit last year where y'all got killed by our team and we weren't even that good.

UNT is pretty nice though, I love the 1 O'clock band and a lot of the non ratchet women up there are gorgeous. Campus feels like Texas Tech but without the Red Raider rash lol.

I am sitting in the library right now!

Lol I'm back home already. Left campus as soon as my class was done since I parked at the meters and I only put in a 50 cents haha. Thankfully they were busy dealing with other issues so no ticket yet.

Someone should start a UTA GAF meetup or something lol.

DFW is the worst Airport in the history of mankind. It was very obviously designed by someones cousin.

I think DFW is pretty great for such a large airport. Easy transportation between terminals, free wifi, a decent number of AC outlets, good food selection, etc.

I've never gone through security at DFW, so I can't offer an opinion on it, but I'll take a layover in DFW over ORD any day of the week.

DFW is the worst Airport in the history of mankind. It was very obviously designed by someones cousin.

You must not travel much. It's honestly a really well designed airport and extremely easy to get in and out from (except for them expanding and adding construction to his project in the OP but other than that it is great)

I've been to countless airports and traveled 140k miles last year. DFW is pretty damn good.

I'm ready for that construction to be done. It would always seemed to be closed at the most random times, so getting around that area was a crapshoot a lot of times. My lady friend is moving to Forth Worth soon though, and I'd be visiting her from Lewisville, so hopefully this helps those trips go smoothly!

Also, there's actually a UTA GAF now? Haha. I graduated from there in 2005.

The geographic size of the country had little to do with the density of metropolitan areas. The difference is that while in the 50s America funded the reconstruction of Europe's rail system, locally America decided to build high speed commuter roads for cars. Daily travel time is what people consider when choosing where to live, not the distance between LA and NYC.

Yup. The US was purposely build around the car. That is why everything is so spread out, not the other way around.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
i really hope it works.....daz a lot of asphalt....mind you it didnt work in CA i used to live near the 15 and the 805/5 ...they would be crowded at 3am ...but then again thats Cali land of the super commuter living 2 counties away from their jobs.

Admittedly, I haven't tried very hard here, but I don't understand just what in the hell is happening at 290 and 610.

Had to go around that area a few times to visit the DPS office on Dacoma.

NEVER will I choose to go their on my own time; the interchange plus the neverending construction is a recipe for good times.

Lol please, tell your basketball team to step their game up. I was at the Super Pit last year where y'all got killed by our team and we weren't even that good.

UNT is pretty nice though, I love the 1 O'clock band and a lot of the non ratchet women up there are gorgeous. Campus feels like Texas Tech but without the Red Raider rash.
Yeah, we have nothing to brag about with sports but at least we get Denton over Arlington. Stay away from our music department if you know what's good for you!

EDIT: To be fair, if I was in Arlington I would go broke from going to all those Ranger games.

thomaser

This is what I picture hell would look like.

#teamscandinavia

Yeah. The biggest road in Norway has four lanes. And the largest road where I live has three lanes. Two in one direction, and one in the other. But only for a couple of kilometers. Driving on that four lane road is a little scary to me... it's just too wide! Can't even begin to imagine how to drive on those monster roads in Texas.

Edit: And in this thread I learned that there are big cities in USA without public transport. WTF.

The geographic size of the country had little to do with the density of metropolitan areas. The difference is that while in the 50s America funded the reconstruction of Europe's rail system, locally America decided to build high speed commuter roads for cars. Daily travel time is what people consider when choosing where to live, not the distance between LA and NYC.

No. We built our highways to move military equipment around the country as fast as possible. Look at the official name of the US Interstate highway system: "Dwight D. Eisenhower National System of Interstate and Defense Highways".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_Highways

It doesn't have anything to do with urban planning or moving people around.

If there was a highly strategic, military use for high-speed railways in the United States, we would have the best in the world.

jadedm17

I sorta remember that about the time SimCity came out, I was doing some reading about real life traffic scenarios and what various cities, states, and countries were doing to address their problems. I recall something about someone saying that merely adding more and more capacity doesn't necessarily solve the problem. People, behaving as people do, are just going to keep on using it up without a care until it gets clogged again.

Solutions that involved having people pay some kind of cost to use popular routes during congested times appeared to be a more consistent answer.
I love living in the country.
or rather a town - Buffalo, NY - no one really cares about.

acksman

DFW Terminal A has a Pappasitos and a Pappadeaux.

Really odd about the hate on DFW. Its not the best, but easy to get between terminals once your checked with the tram. Heck there is may worst airports I fly to. Chicago ORD, ATL, Phoenix, LAX, Denver just to name a few.

If you travel quite a bit and always end up in the terminals when your hungry. This app is a must. GateGuru - http://gateguruapp.com/

Wipeout-HD-FURY-1080p-Wallpaper-Sol-2-Sol2-set2-01.jpg

Soon

No. We built our highways to move military equipment around the country as fast as possible. Look at the official name of the US Interstate highway system: "Dwight D. Eisenhower National System of Interstate and Defense Highways".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_Highways

It doesn't have anything to do with urban planning or moving people around.

If there was a highly strategic, military use for high-speed railways in the United States, we would have the best in the world.
The interstate highways were built so a plane could land on them in an emergency right?

The interstate highways were built so a plane could land on them in an emergency right?

Not really. They were built so that military aircraft could use them to take off and land during wartime, not for standard emergencies.

In fact, even today, in order to get federal financing for highway projects you have to have the ability to land planes every so many miles (or KM for everyone else). I don't know how many though.

In the event that a foreign power invaded the US, all of the highways would be shut down for the foreseeable future.

I thought I read before that traffic is like air and just fills all available lanes no matter how many you build.

Something like this maybe? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induced_demand

That's likely true, but it's also like saying that until the technology existed for planet earth to support 6bn people, they didn't exist. Which is also true, but it says nothing as to whether it's a good thing or not. Many would argue that more people being alive is a good thing and, likewise, that more people being able to travel where they want to go in a way that they deem easiest is a good thing.

Mobius 1

Man, American urban planning is an absolute mess.

What planning?

Its goes like this:

Developer buys land in the middle of fucking nowhere, builds McMansions and advertises that it's cheap, and its just "x minutes away from downtown/some other landmark".

People looking to live the dream buy said McMansions and start driving longer distances while bitching about fuel prices. Oh look, the F150 just won another Most Sold Car of the Year Award.

Starbucks, WalMart and other strip mall wonders setup shop around the new population cluster, solidifies one more suburban subdivision for good.

Move up the road 5 miles and repeat the process.

Metro rail is mostly above ground piece of shit with a really limited route. I mean it's better than nothing for sure, i have a few relatives that work downtown that use it but it's hardly comparable to nyc/tokyo/seoul/london/paris(hell even montreal and to ) etc... systems.

I use the redline all the time in LA. Not ever been above ground, only ever used subway metro here in LA.

it's awesome, just needs to be 2-3x bigger to get to more of the city. Great for downtown and hollywood area.

Zebra

I had been wondering what the hell they were doing with that portion of the highway. Getting through there has been a pain in the ass for a year or two.

UNT. Let's start a fight.

You have my axe.

UNT is pretty nice though, I love the 1 O'clock band and a lot of the non ratchet women up there are gorgeous. Campus feels like Texas Tech but without the Red Raider rash lol.

Live jazz while you're eating lunch is one of the best perks of this school. I haven't been to UTA, but yeahhh.. if I were in Arlington I'd be broke right there with Treechopper seeing every Rangers game possible.

Traveling photographer. Been to every state twice in the last two years for work. Out of state on average once a week for work. DFW is by far the worse designed airport I've ever seen in america. Even Mexico City's airport is easier to navigate.

...What? What about DFW is difficult to navigate? It's pretty basic getting to a terminal and gate.

Live jazz while you're eating lunch is one of the best perks of this school. I haven't been to UTA, but yeahhh.. if I were in Arlington I'd be broke right there with Treechopper seeing every Rangers game possible.

UTA doesn't have a football team, but honestly I'm surprised they have any sports teams at all. They have to go up against the Cowboys and Rangers whether they like it or not.

The Chinese are now trying to emulate the American Highway network.

They need to try harder. A couple years ago they had a week long traffic jam. I know LA traffic is bad, and you can be stuck for a few hours, but being stuck in traffic for 7 days? that's some frustrating shit

Rayis

I live in Houston and I see sights like this everyday, I recently learned how to drive and I swear driving in Texas really builds character (it doesn't help our drivers are absolutely horrible).

Nesotenso

They need to try harder. A couple years ago they had a week long traffic jam. I know LA traffic is bad, and you can be stuck for a few hours, but being stuck in traffic for 7 days? that's some frustrating shit

well it is what they aspire to anyway. They might even exceed Texas craziness.

I think DFW is pretty great for such a large airport. Easy transportation between terminals, free wifi, a decent number of AC outlets, good food selection, etc.

I've never gone through security at DFW, so I can't offer an opinion on it, but I'll take a layover in DFW over ORD any day of the week.

Security at DFW is pretty damn quick.

As far as the images in the OP, I remember driving through that mess while it was under construction. Pretty amazing to see it, now.

Now I just wish they'd finish this.

Zebra

Now I just wish they'd finish this.

It is a law of the natural universe that 635 must be in a constant state of construction.

I can assure you, our politicians are frantically scrambling for ideas on what else they can do to it before the express project completes for fear that the fabric of space and time might tear without more orange barrels occupying half of the lanes.

It is a law of the natural universe that 635 must be in a constant state of construction.

I can assure you, our politicians are frantically scrambling for ideas on what else they can do to it before the express project completes for fear that the fabric of space and time might tear without more orange barrels occupying half of the lanes.

Got a chuckle out of me.

Whenever I have to go up to Addison or Farmers Branch, I just take 75 to Forest Ln until I get to the street that I can just take North under/over 635, unless it's late at night. I mentioned it in another thread but I got stuck on the ramp from 75-N to 635-E for over an hour before...but that was during the day.

North Texas is a commuter area-- the Dallas- Fort Worth Metroplex particularly. I have lived in Rockwall most of my life, but for college, I had to travel to Arlington (45 to 60 min drive). Then you have attractions and entertainment venues-- those are scattered everywhere. There is no centeral location for anything. You got stuff in Arlington, Irving, downtown Dallas, downtown Ft. Worth, Addison, Frisco, Plano, Garland, Mesquite, Grand Prairie, Grapevine, Lewisville, and dozens of other suburban areas that continue to grow and expand. It never ends.

Got a phonebook dropped off at my door last year titled "DFW Metroplex Phonebook" or something; it had parts of Ellis county in there (Waxahachie, Red Oak)

NR1

North Texas is a commuter area-- the Dallas- Fort Worth Metroplex particularly. I have lived in Rockwall most of my life, but for college, I had to travel to Arlington (45 to 60 min drive). Then you have attractions and entertainment venues-- those are scattered everywhere. There is no centeral location for anything. You got stuff in Arlington, Irving, downtown Dallas, downtown Ft. Worth, Addison, Frisco, Plano, Garland, Mesquite, Grand Prairie, Grapevine, Lewisville, and dozens of other suburban areas that continue to grow and expand. It never ends.

I typically go urban exploring on the weekends. During the week, I live and work in Rockwall, but when the weekend hits, I jump on Groupon and find places to go visit (restaurants, entertainment, stores, ect). Just this past weekend, I found myself in Grapevine, then Lewisville, then Flower Mound, and finally Plano. It's because everything is spread out. We are talking about well over 100 miles in a single day to visit 5 locations. It's amazing how much stuff there is to see and do in DFW, but it takes forever to get to any of it from any point.

FStop7

Banned
Metro rail is mostly above ground piece of shit with a really limited route. I mean it's better than nothing for sure, i have a few relatives that work downtown that use it but it's hardly comparable to nyc/tokyo/seoul/london/paris(hell even montreal and to ) etc... systems.

They tried to put in an underground rail through the west side but Henry Waxman shot it down. I think they're going to try again, or it may already be in some stage of approval.

NR1

Ha! I vote the Galleria at 5 o' clock on Friday.

Seriously, this just thread just turned into DFW Gaf. Fitting that it would be in a thread about the roads.

I'm game for a DFW meetup. Galleria sounds good, but how about a bit later (say 7pm) or on the weekend. We can bitch about the traffic and road construction on 635 we had go through to get there!

Yeah, we have nothing to brag about with sports but at least we get Denton over Arlington. Stay away from our music department if you know what's good for you!

EDIT: To be fair, if I was in Arlington I would go broke from going to all those Ranger games.

Lol I auditioned for UNT's jazz dept back when I was a senior in HS. I obviously didn't make it since I go to UTA but it was pretty cool playing for Steve Weist.

Love the Rangers but I work around that area and I fnckin' hate that place everytime there's a game. What's worse is when Jerry's World has a game along with the Rangers next door, it was biatch to get to work this past Saturday.

UTA doesn't have a football team, but honestly I'm surprised they have any sports teams at all. They have to go up against the Cowboys and Rangers whether they like it or not.

Undefeated since 1985 biatch!

This school seriously lacks school spirit. I went to every home basketball game last year and the turnout was abysmal. Besides the 1st game of the season, the venue was pretty much 25% capacity at most games. It's sad considering they built the College Park Center to attract more students at sports events.

We still need to do a DFW GAF meetup. We can talk about our hatred of 635 in person.

I'm down for a DFW GAF meetup! Just don't let it be anywhere close to 635 at peak rush hour... I gotta drive all the way from UTA and getting to 635 is only half the battle lol.

USA
th

Texas
Europe-Size-Comparison.jpeg

Alaska
Map-US.gif

It would be nice if cities didn't want to build into all of that land but it's cheaper that way. As such, you have you drive.

The geographic reason really isn't the big one. it's relevant in the sticks where no one lives, but something like 70-80 percent of the population is concentrated in about 5 metro areas. Alaska (posted above) is a joke. Rhode island is 552 times smaller with twice the population.

Northeast Corridor (running from Baltimore/DC up to Boston)
LA/San Fran
Chicago
Dallas-Fort Worth
Atlanta.

one could EASILY design public transportation options that serve the vast majority of the citizens in these areas, but only New York, Chicago, DC, and philly have anything approaching functional subway/rail systems.

Political Lobbying as well as racism (yes, racism) does a lot to prevent public transportation infrastructure from getting built. It's not an accident that what DOES exist is almost exclusively located in northern and liberal locations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom