• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Comcast lie to me twice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinfamy

I decided to speak to Comcast because I feel like I've been paying way too much for average speed internet and basic cable. I don't even have an HD box, and I have my own modem.

Original conversation, early April:

chat id: 616b3151-592c-477d-9633-*******
Problem: I feel that I am paying too much on my bill, especially considering I've been a Comcast customer for years, and have been out of contract for a while as well. I think $109.99 is quite high, I'd like to switch to a Double Play bundle.
Kimberly > Hello gabriela, Thank you for contacting Comcast Live Chat Support. My name is Kimberly. Please give me one moment to review your information.
gabriela > My Issue: I feel that I am paying too much on my bill, especially considering I've been a Comcast customer for years, and have been out of contract for a while as well. I think $109.99 is quite high, I'd like to switch to a Double Play bundle.
Kimberly > I feel Happy to have you on this chat,Gabriela . Let me extend my warm Smile to you. I hope you haven't waited long just to be assisted.
gabriela > No worries.
Kimberly > Oh! I understand that you have an issue with the bill higher than usual.
Kimberly > I see that you want to check for a double play promotion
Kimberly > Here's how we can resolve this, I will first fully pull up the account
gabriela > Alright, let me know what you need from me.
Kimberly > While pulling up your account, let me tell you about our Customer Guarantee~The Guarantee is a promise to our customers that we will provide the best experience, and we stand behind our products and services. You can learn more about the Comcast Customer Guarantee at http://www.comcast.com/corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?fss=customer guarantee
Kimberly > Thank you for your patience. I now have your account pulled up. Let's go ahead and start resolving your concern.
Kimberly > I see here that you have logged into your account so there is no need for us to verify security thank you for doing that.
gabriela > Thanks.
Kimberly > As I checked here on your account I can only see the regular rates provided for the services. What I can do now is to transfer your to our sales team as they can check more options for you and promotions as well.
Kimberly > Will that be fine, Gabriela ?
gabriela > That is alright.
Kimberly > Thank you.
Kimberly > Please wait, while the problem is escalated to another analyst
gabriela > My Issue: I feel that I am paying too much on my bill, especially considering I've been a Comcast customer for years, and have been out of contract for a while as well. I think $109.99 is quite high, I'd like to switch to a Double Play bundle.
Yash > AHYou have reached Sales Department and I will be assisting you with your concern for today. Please give me 2-3 minutes to review your conversation with the previous representative. Will that be okay?
gabriela > No problem.
Yash > Thank you.
Yash > Gabriela, If I understood correctly from your previous conversation that You want to check double play promotions to lower the bill. Am I correct?
gabriela > Correct. I'm interested in either the $79.99 or the $69.99 version that is being advertised.
Yash > Thank you for the confirmation.
Yash > I will check for all the best possible options to get your concern resolved
Yash > Let me pull up your account first for me to sort out your concern.
gabriela > No problem.
Yash > Thank you.
Yash > I can see here that you have already verified the account with the previous representative.
gabriela > mhm
Yash > I can see that currently you are paying $110.00/m Excluding boxes.
gabriela > That is correct.
Yash > Let me check what best I can offer you.
Yash > I can offer you the same Starter XF Double Play the same service for $$89.99 per monthfor the first 12 months.
Yash > You will get Over 80 digital channels including TBS, TLC, Nickelodeon, and ESPN
Yash > XFINITY On Demand
Yash > 25 mbps speed.
gabriela > Could I do the $79.99 one instead?
Yash > I am sorry that deal is for our new customers , however the best I can do is I can offer you $89.99/m for 12 months.
gabriela > And what is the mrc after the 12 months?
Yash > After first 12 months, monthly service charge for Starter XF Double Play goes to $109.99 for months 13-24months.
Yash > After 25 month it will be at its regular rate.
Yash > Your monthly bill will be $89.99 package + $8 modem + $1.99 adaptor + $1.99 adaptor + $1.99 adaptor .
gabriela > And there is no way to have that lower? I will gladly take the $80 for 12 months. I just recently paid off the account, and at this point I was either hoping to find a more reasonable bundle that wasnt going to go back to the same price. The competition isp/tv bundle is ~50%, for not much difference.
Yash > Th best I can do is I can add Starter XF Double Play the same service for $$89.99 per monthfor the first 12 months and credit $10.00 on your next month bill and after that you can call our toll free # 1-800-934-6489 and they will extend the credit for the coming month as well.
Yash > Your monthly bill will be $89.99 package + $8 modem + $1.99 adaptor + $1.99 adaptor + $1.99 adaptor - $20.00 credit.
Yash > Sorry for the typo. Please disregard that last message.
Yash > Your monthly bill will be $89.99 package + $8 modem + $1.99 adaptor + $1.99 adaptor + $1.99 adaptor - $10.00 credit.
Yash > WIll that work for you?
gabriela > Alright, thanks, I will take that! However I own my own modem.
Yash > Great!
Yash > Now Your monthly bill will be $89.99 package + $1.99 adaptor + $1.99 adaptor + $1.99 adaptor - $10.00 credit.
Yash > I will raise ticket and it will be done within 24 hours.
Yash > You will also get the confirmation mail within 24 hours.
gabriela > Good to hear, thank you Yash.
Yash > You are most welcome.
Yash > You will also get the confirmation call within 24 hours.

Waited nearly a month, nothing happened. Still same plan, and no credit.
Conversation from 4 days ago:

chat id: 3eabc7af-64c4-42b0-8793-*******
Problem: I was told I'd be given a $10 credit for the month of April and the month of May, as well as having my monthly recurring charge be brought down to $89.99, however it has not changed. The chat ID is: 616b3151-592c-477d-9633-******
Elijah > Hello Gabriela, Thank you for contacting Comcast Live Chat Support. My name is Elijah. Please give me one moment to review your information.
Elijah > My pleasure to have you on this chat! How's your day so far, Gabriela?
Gabriela > My Issue: I was told I'd be given a $10 credit for the month of April and the month of May, as well as having my monthly recurring charge be brought down to $89.99, however it has not changed. The chat ID is: 616b3151-592c-477d-9633-******
Gabriela > And I am doing well, how about yourself?
Elijah > Glad to hear it.
Elijah > I'm doing well, thanks for asking.
Elijah > I understand that you want to check the status of $10.00 credit offered to you.
Elijah > Let me check the chat transcript as well.
Elijah > Please be assured I will do my best to help you with your concern.
Gabriela > Thank you.
Elijah > You are most welcome.
Elijah > Gabriela, I have the chat transcript up
Elijah > Where the previous rep informed you that :
Elijah > Your monthly bill will be $89.99 package + $8 modem + $1.99 adaptor + $1.99 adaptor + $1.99 adaptor - $10.00 credit.
Elijah > Since the promotion was not applied, I would be happy to get you in touch with the department that can further help you with checking the availability of this promotion to be applied on the account. Would you mind holding while I do that?
Gabriela > Thank you.
Gabriela > I don't mind.
Elijah > They will be able to check the available promotions and corresponding eligibility. They can also recommend other options for you.
Elijah > Is there anything else that I can assist you with before I transfer you to the correct department?
Gabriela > Nope.
Elijah > Thank you for contacting Comcast and have a wonderful day, Gabriela. Please stay connected to the chat while I transfer your chat.
Elijah > Please wait, while the problem is escalated to another analyst
Gabriela > My Issue: I was told I'd be given a $10 credit for the month of April and the month of May, as well as having my monthly recurring charge be brought down to $89.99, however it has not changed. The chat ID is: 616b3151-592c-477d-9633-********
Raj > I will be assisting you with your concern for today. Please give me 2-3 minutes to review your conversation with the previous representative. This will give me a better understanding of the issue at hand so that we can resolve it in the most efficient way possible. Will that be okay?
Gabriela > No probme.
Gabriela > Problem*.
Raj > Thank you.
Raj > How are you doing today, Gabriela?
Gabriela > I am doing well, yourself?
Raj > Glad to hear that.
Raj > I am good. Thank you for asking.
Raj > Let me confirm you have been offered $10 credit for the month of April and the month of May, as well as having monthly recurring charge be brought down to $89.99
Raj > Is that correct?
Gabriela > Correct, and I do not see that change online, nor did I receive any follow-up within 24 hours like it says in the chat log.
Raj > Gabriela, As I can check promotion offer for $89.99/mo is not available on your account, We apologize for the miscommunications.
Raj > I am raising the complaint to the higher team for you.
Raj > They will investigate the chat and may provide you deal promised to you.
Raj > Will that be okay with you?
Gabriela > Yes it will, thanks. Will I receive any follow-up?
Raj > Yes, You will get the call and Email confirmation from our higher team.
Raj > May I have your best contact number please?
Gabriela > (***) ***-**** would be best as I use it for work.
Raj > Sure, Please allow me few minutes to raise the complaints for you.
Gabriela > No problem.
Raj > Thank you.
Raj > I have raised the complaint for you.
Raj > Complaint #140429-********
Raj > We apologize the hassle you have gone through.
Raj > I assure you, You will get whatever is promised to you.
Raj > Is there anything else I can help you with today?
Gabriela > No worries, thank you. And that is all!
Raj > Thank you.
Raj > Have a great day.
Raj > Bye and Take care!
Gabriela > You too, thanks.

Gabriela is my mother's name who is the account holder, but I spoke on her behalf.

Today I called because I received absolutely no notification. Spoke to an asshole supervisor by the name of Oscar who when the moment I brought up the $10 credit I was promised he literally said: "why would you just deserve a $10 credit? We don't give away free money." The customer care department has no way to check conversation transcripts. And the online agents are now telling me that promotion expired. What should I do from here?

Easy. Call the relevant consumer affairs/services watchdog/ombudsman, explain the situation and provide the transcripts. They should sort it out for you.

Sinfamy

I'm happy to be reading your thread, OP.

Let me extend my warm smile to you.

FIS60E7.jpg

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Let me extend my warm smile to you? C'mon, at least make your scripts a little believable.

I should prepare myself for this kind of service should that TWC buyout happens. Oh wait, it's TWC. I'm already prepared.

BumbleB

Banned
First of all, my experience has always been that when dealing with cable companies.. they will give you next to zero leverage if you are not the account holder. So my first piece of advice is to get your mom to be the one speaking to Comcast. Until then, you probably carry little weight because any threat you make is basically empty since you cannot cancel. Regardless, call back and demand management to get on the phone with you. If you must, wait for manage to call you back.

When you do get ahold of them, no kindness... only fury. I mean that, dig deep inside and let the hate flow. Only then will you achieve greatness. Kindness will get you nowhere with your issue.

Best of luck

iammeiam

It's been like ten years since I worked in a Comcast call center, so my knowledge is probably outdated, but I'd say call to cancel. That should route you to retention. When I worked there, retention had access to better deals for existing customers than sales/billing/support,and IIRC were commissioned based on "saves", so were super motivated to keep you around. They had narrower hours than other departments, but it was worth calling to get them specifically because cutting deals with people canceling was literally all they did.

Schedule your disconnect a month out to give you time to switch; you can always cancel the cancellation if you need to keep service.

Boss Mog

If you're not on top of your bill every month cable companies will try to to jack up your bill like 5 bucks a month every month until you realize it.

Sinfamy

It's been like ten years since I worked in a Comcast call center, so my knowledge is probably outdated, but I'd say call to cancel. That should route you to retention. When I worked there, retention had access to better deals for existing customers than sales/billing/support,and IIRC were commissioned based on "saves", so were super motivated to keep you around. They had narrower hours than other departments, but it was worth calling to get them specifically because cutting deals with people canceling was literally all they did.

Schedule your disconnect a month out to give you time to switch; you can always cancel the cancellation if you need to keep service.

I work for customer service at Sprint.
I know for example that if an agent promises something (within reason), and as long as it's notated we have to honor it. It's called a broken promise. I do not know how Comcast operates, but I'd expect it should be the same.

benjipwns

Banned
I know for example that if an agent promises something (within reason), and as long as it's notated we have to honor it. It's called a broken promise. I do not know how Comcast operates, but I'd expect it should be the same.
Have you seen the Futurama episode where they go to the Central Bureaucracy and they have this elaborate system of tubes that just dumps everything into a giant pile?

I imagine that Comcast operates like this, in more ways than one.

Red Comet

You think just having to deal with Comcast is bad? I've got DirectTV for my television, and Comcast internet, so I have to keep on top of both bills each month to make sure no monkey business is going on.

Edit: Fuck, this thread urged me to check my bill and I see that they charged me for HBO this month, even though it was supposed to be free for 3 months. Assholes.

iammeiam

That's fair--I don't think wanting them to follow through on what they promised is unreasonable--I'm just saying that might be your quickest path to a satisfactory resolution. Chat logs being invisible to phone reps is stupid, but entirely possibly true (it used to be the case, which was always really frustrating.) The average retention rep had the power to deliver much better discounts than the average rep in any other department and would generally be the least hassle to get this fixed. You can also go the supervisor route, but that usually takes more time and depends on the mood of the supervisor/if the supervisor believes you, if there are no notes.

If you ask any two cable company employees about their prices and policies you will get five answers.
That's been my experience. Get everything written down and saved in chat (like you've done here well), or recorded, and then recorded again if discussing details over the phone. In fact, repeat it yourself and get the agent to agree as well just to be sure if doing deals or adjustments or promotions over the phone.

And be ready to provide the Better Business Bureau or your regional equivalent with all of it if you get the runaround.

I've had tremendous success with cutting right through these layers of bureaucratic bullshit and getting a fitting resolution using exactly these steps on a few occasions.

Sinfamy

New plan:

I spoke with a chat representative.
I told him to copy and paste the chat transcripts into my account so the phone reps can see it.

Tomorrow I will call (since it's currently closed).

Phoenix

If there is a place where you receive or turn in your boxes, you will find that you have MUCH more leverage there and are more likely to find a good deal from those agents - and they will fix everything while you're standing there. I generally get the feeling that the people in the Live Chats aren't even connected to the Comcast systems, just random bots designed to pacify you. I have NEVER ever gotten anything accomplished while chatting with them.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Today I called because I received absolutely no notification. Spoke to an asshole supervisor by the name of Oscar who when the moment I brought up the $10 credit I was promised he literally said: "why would you just deserve a $10 credit? We don't give away free money." The customer care department has no way to check conversation transcripts. And the online agents are now telling me that promotion expired. What should I do from here?

When I tried to switch to double play, the people on the other end of the phone tried to tell me that I couldn't even do it because I'd be paying less that I was before so I'd have to add extra services or they wouldn't do it.

30 minutes of rage later, I get referred to a local provider number and they set it up no problem.

So I'd suggest finding the local comcast's number and never call the 1-800-comcast number or contact their site's tech support as that's actually some wierdo third party company that's mainly there to gouge you as much as humanly possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom