• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did technology fix Max Payne 3 loading or did R* fix it?

Puscifer

Decided I wanted to replay it and noticed that suddenly the "skip" icon was appearing super quickly, usually within 4-5 seconds.

Either this means

1. Rockstar wasn't lying, this was disguise load times and modern technology finally fixed it
  2. They fixed it

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Decided I wanted to replay it and noticed that suddenly the "skip" icon was appearing super quickly, usually within 4-5 seconds.

Either this means

1. Rockstar wasn't lying, this was disguise load times and modern technology finally fixed it
  2. They fixed it
Did you have to pay $60 for a fixed version? If not then Rockstar didn't fix it.

HL3.exe

Yes, there is a cutscene skipper tool that bypasses the arbitrary loadtimes, due to it being a console game first.

Also check out FusionFix for more modernization additions.

Tip: next time, check PCGW first. A site that collects all the fixes and tools for older games. https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Max_Payne_3

Last edited:
I remember this was a huge pain in the ass when going for the no death trophy/achievement(finish complete game with no deaths) on consoles. Always had to watch these cutscenes again and again when going for a new attempt.

That would be a long game to finish with no deaths. Congratz if you got it done.

StereoVsn

I fixed it. You’re welcome.

disney-moana.gif

SimTourist

Why would they lie about something as arbitrary as load times?

Max Payne 3 is a PS3-era game, those games load slow as shit. Try booting GTAV on a PS3, that shit was crazy. Running it off a modern-day ssd greatly improves it even if it still runs on the same code.
The problem is that it was slow even on SSDs which is bullshit, a fan patch on PC fixed it

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Either this means

2. They fixed it

Did you change into a faster drive ? That could be one reason.

HL3.exe

Either this means

2. They fixed it
Doesn't it still get stuck in cutscenes? Pretending it's loading, while in reality it's staling?
(fixed via a community mod)

HL3.exe

No, I should record a video. It skips and goes right into gameplay everytime
Huh... Maybe it'll try it myself. Because a few months ago when I played it, it still had that legacy problem.

Edit: the infamous one as the ending on the first level in the parking garage (scene with the police) unable to skip after, only after transitioning to the next level.

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I see you didn’t play Vanquish.

I have bought Vanquish 3 times :
- PS3
-XSX
-PS5

I have completed it 3 times and I still think that's one of the most G'damned overated games of all time...
Horrible art direction (besides Sam's suit), generic, bland, grey environments, awful Americanized huh-haaa characters, terrible, TERRIBLE OST and as for the action...it's just a fucking TPS with slow-mo.

Platinum's best game remains MGS Rising revengeance IMO

Max Payne 3, for all its problems, still remains one of the best TPS experiences out there, the gfx, music/amazing OST and production values still are in a league of their own, so much so that it makes Vanquish look like a B-tier game.

Last edited:

HL3.exe

Either this means

2. They fixed it
redownloaded it, tested it without mods, conclusion: NOPE!
Load times aren't fixed, still the same arbitrary 'still loading' message without actually loading.

It's fixable with this: https://www.moddb.com/games/max-payne-3/downloads/cutscene-skipper-v02

HL3.exe

Interesting. Do you have a Gen 4 SSD? Not saying it makes a difference or anything, but that's what mines is.
Gen 4 NVME. It's not that the loading is faster, the game is loaded but just stalls (cant skip scenes). That mentioned mod fixes that. Give it a try and experience the difference.

Top Bottom