• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did you know that later this year Netflix will increase to $10 for new Subscribers ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armadilo

Banned
I did not know this, but was reading an article and it mentioned it
In the second and third quarters of this year, a large number of U.S. Netflix subs will see a price hike for the standard two-HD-stream plan, which will rise to $9.99 per month. But the execs said they expect only “slightly elevated” churn.

and then I checked and it was announced last year in October ,

Netflix is raising the price of its most popular plan, which offers access to two HD streams concurrently, from $8.99 to $9.99 per month for new subscribers in the U.S.

The company, which has more than 65 million streaming customers worldwide, also is increasing prices of the two-stream plan in Canada and Latin America.

“To continue adding more TV shows and movies including many Netflix original titles, we are modestly raising the price for some new members in the U.S., Canada and Latin America,” a Netflix rep wrote in an emailed statement.

Netflix said that current pricing for existing subscribers on the “standard” plan will remain in place for 12 months, unless they’re already covered by a price guarantee with a longer term.

Members who had the $8 price lock will end in May,-
Then, the company extended previously-announced price hikes to long-time customers who had been grandfathered in at a lower rate.

Those subscribers, who currently pay $7.99 a month, will be moved in Q2 or Q3 to a $9.99-a-month plan, the company said. (Alternatively, these viewers will have the option to stay on their current plan, but will only have access to SD rather than HD video.)

Netflix said this change would apply to a substantial number of its US members. “Given these members have been with us at least 2 years, we expect only slightly elevated churn,” the company stated in the letter.

$1 a year price increase ?

It's not all bad as Netflix now has more than 75 million subscribers across 190 countries and in 2016 ,

they will spend $6 Billion on content and produce 600 hours of original programming in 2016

---
"Did you know that later this year Netflix will increase to $10 for new Subscribers and members who were paying $8"? don't know if that would be a better title but those that had the $8 two year price lock will also have to pay $10

Valhelm

contribute something
They should be more open about this.

If Netflix said, "Buy a subscription now before our rates will increase," you'll get a lot of purchases from consumers who might have never made the leap otherwise.

I'm not a business expert tho

Drain You

As others have said we've been told. Also even if we weren't I'd have no problem with this. I'm sure some people will say slippery slope Yada yada, but this seems fair. Xbox One keeps track of my Netflix hours watched and honestly it's disgusting.

WillyFive

I've had it since you paid for the DVD service and the streaming was a free add-on to that.

It still should be honestly; it's not the full Netflix experience without the disc catalog.

TheXbox

Please add good movies

I feel like their emphasis has completely pivoted towards original TV programming and away from actual 'flix'. Maybe studios feel wary about making their films available to 75 million people? Idk. But I remember a time when the LOTR trilogy was on Netflix (extended!) and it was FUCKING DOPE. Now I get Saw movies and a dripfeed supply of Kubrick. Alas.

Clockwork

Please add good movies

I feel like their emphasis has completely pivoted towards original TV programming and away from actual 'flix'. Maybe studios feel wary about making their films available to 75 million people? Idk. But I remember a time when the LOTR trilogy was on Netflix (extended!) and it was FUCKING DOPE. Now I get Saw movies and a dripfeed supply of Kubrick. Alas.

I think it is the studios that put them in this position in the first place. Charging more and more for licensing content, making demands that Netflix has no choice to accept. So what do they do? They start spending that money to create their own content for which they are not at the mercy of other companies to provide.

I just cancelled Netflix streaming and went back to getting BluRays in the mail. I already have Amazon prime for streaming which a waay better deal.

Really ballsy for netflix with their pretty weak selection and them blocking vpns
and no their original content does not make up for it

How come universal or really any big super movie company come out with their Netflix alternative? Say $15 for the service which gives you movies the same day it comes out in theaters

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
How come universal or really any big super movie company come out with their Netflix alternative? Say $15 for the service which gives you movies the same day it comes out in theaters

That price is too low to be profitable and the theater owners would revolt. Price has to be higher so that the mass market still goes to the cinema.

Yep, had an email last year and read a few articles which wrote about the increase.

Since an ever growing of the stuff I watch now consists of Neflix originals, and I find them to be pretty damn good, I certainly don't mind the minimal increase. Unlike fucking council tax (I'm a brit) I can see where my money is going when the monthly payment is due for Netlifx.

Well I'm definitely watching more Netflix's shows than I use to. Plus we got no cable, so anything under $30-60 a month is good in my books.

Please add good movies

Probably much more lucrative to focus on their own original content rather than try and deal with the movie studios for licensing rights. Same thing happened with HBO. They started out as Home 'Box Office' but over time the emphasis for them, and why a majority of people probably go to them, is for original content. For Netflix, their licensed movie portfolio has gone down but I'm more than okay with that as they are killing it with original and television content. More than worth the $10 for me. I wouldn't expect them to change back up any time soon. It seems to be working for them.

Armadilo

Banned
Netflix should be getting better and better. For Movies, the first new Disney films should be hitting netflix later this year. Next year it will get crazy, Big Disney films coming out this year that will be available to see on Netflix in 2017.

They just need to lock another big deal for more content

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom