• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Difference between off-topic threads and off-topic community threads

Can we get some clarification?

Doesn't every thread that goes on for more than a few pages become a community discussion?

"Communities from the Off-Topic Forum. Sports, Politics, etc."

So every thread that has sports, politics or etc.... belongs here?

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
My guess is Community is for gaming threads this is for off topic threads. But we get a little thing on top of the community thread so no new members will join the threads.

Who do these threads get to stay in the OT?

anime thread - 44 pages
manga thread 80+
windows phone 7
uk gaf
android
iphone web app
wrestling
galaxy nexus
gaf hop
south park
legend of korra
lotto pool
march madness
comics
draw something
game of thrones
hunger games
f1
pics that make you laugh
electronic music

Those are just from the first page, how are those threads different from the MAJOR sports league threads?

bjaelke

This is very confusing. If they have to remake it, then I suggest four tabs:

Gaming
Gaming communities
Off-topic
Off-topic communities

It won't be long before we are in a subforum of the FAQ section.

Before we're all exiled for good, we should spend our last remaining moments having sex. Lots and lots of sex. With each other. Well, not eznark, but everyone else.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I'm not really happy with the current arrangement in practice. Community is being retooled in two separate directions... from the gaming side, it's now in large part a section for older official threads, and from the off-topic side, it's serving a different purpose.

So I think we'll do separate community subforums, one for gaming, and one for off-topic. That way the off-topic communities are not so far removed and hidden from everything else.

Sec.

61702751ffdf430ed03e6d8448053df8c93711f7.gifa

"I love you OT, promise me it'll be like this forever."
"I promise"

31886_o.gif

hamchan

I'm not really happy with the current arrangement in practice. Community is being retooled in two separate directions... from the gaming side, it's now in large part a section for older official threads, and from the off-topic side, it's serving a different purpose.

So I think we'll do separate community subforums, one for gaming, and one for off-topic. That way the off-topic communities are not so far removed and hidden from everything else.

Sec.

Yeah that sounds like the best move.

FootballFan

This is very confusing. If they have to remake it, then I suggest four tabs:

Gaming
Gaming communities
Off-topic
Off-topic communities

Yeah that is probably the best suggestion.

edit Oh cool

Sec.

Fredescu

I just don't understand what prompted these changes?
Basically megathreads take front page real estate from new threads. Both thread types serve a purpose, but having them both in the same forum gives the new threads less chance to catch and form a discussion.

Two separate community tabs seems like the best way to go.

Dresden

Basically megathreads take front page real estate from new threads. Both thread types serve a purpose, but having them both in the same forum gives the new threads less chance to catch and form a discussion.

Wouldn't want to miss out on the latest Gaborn thread.

Top Bottom