• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry - Starfield: Xbox Series S Performance Mode Tested - How Viable is 60FPS Gaming?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

When Starfield received its performance mode upgrade for Series X, pretty much the only criticism we had was that Series S didn't get the same attention. That changed recently, with Bethesda granting the junior Xbox the same options as the more premium console - but relatively speaking, do you get the same level of improvement? Oliver Mackenzie reports.

00:00 Overview
01:03 Mode visual comparisons
05:59 Frame-rate targets and performance
09:52 Analysis and conclusion

Last edited:

ManaByte

430p

Laugh So Hard Life Of The Party GIF by HULU

Skifi28

Just about what you'd expect, we're back to SD resolutions for the S and also introducing some pretty big visual cuts while still struggling to hit the 60 target anyway. kudos for trying at least. The 40fps mode is probably the best one.

Last edited:

adamsapple

- Starfield has received 40, 60 and Unlocked FPS modes on Series S with recent patch
- Performance mode takes hit in grass density shadow distance and quality over Quality mode
- In general, the visuals mode provides a much better and cohesive visual experience

Series S:
- Quality mode: 900p reconstructed to 1440p
- Performance mode: 432p reconstructed to 1080p
- Performance mode struggles to resolve finer details
- Cube map settings etc are same as on SX's Performance mode, same for Terrain details
- Between patches, no difference in Series S in its default Quality mode

- 60hz mode:
- Hits consistently in indoor places, outdoors and combat drops frames
- Series X has higher average frame rate and adherence to 60 comparatively, often 20% or so

- 30hz mode:
- Certain loading / check point related drops but otherwise it hits 30 FPS lock no problem

40hz mode:
- Visuals mode gets there just about in most places with some drops
- Performance mode fares better but still has drops in cities

- DF does not think using uncapped is a good idea
- Playing the game with VRR is preferable than without it
- No difference in visuals when choosing different frame rate targets in Visuals mode.

Conclusion:
- DF thinks these modes should have been exposed with the original patch
- Less exciting patch on Series S due to lesser headroom however
- DF thinks too many options can be complex for some players
- Players who are ok with a little bit of unstability should be happy with the frame rate modes, but for those who want full consistency, should stick to the 30 FPS lock.

Skifi28

i remember ppl had big laugh at xbox one's titanfal 792p, back in early 2014, now over 10 years later we getting 432p :D
Well, technically the perceived resolution is much higher after the reconstuction. Usually at least. Unfortunately, reconstruction doesn't work well with so few pixels.

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
- Starfield has received 40, 60 and Unlocked FPS modes on Series S with recent patch
- Performance mode takes hit in grass density shadow distance and quality over Quality mode
- In general, the visuals mode provides a much better and cohesive visual experience

Series S:
- Quality mode: 900p reconstructed to 1440p
- Performance mode: 432p reconstructed to 1080p
- Performance mode struggles to resolve finer details
- Cube map settings etc are same as on SX's Performance mode, same for Terrain details
- Between patches, no difference in Series S in its default Quality mode

- 60hz mode:
- Hits consistently in indoor places, outdoors and combat drops frames
- Series X has higher average frame rate and adherence to 60 comparatively, often 20% or so

- 30hz mode:
- Certain loading / check point related drops but otherwise it hits 30 FPS lock no problem

40hz mode:
- Visuals mode gets there just about in most places with some drops
- Performance mode fares better but still has drops in cities

- DF does not think using uncapped is a good idea
- Playing the game with VRR is preferable than without it
- No difference in visuals when choosing different frame rate targets in Visuals mode.

Conclusion:
- DF thinks these modes should have been exposed with the original patch
- Less exciting patch on Series S due to lesser headroom however
- DF thinks too many options can be complex for some players
- Players who are ok with a little bit of unstability should be happy with the frame rate modes, but for those who want full consistency, should stick to the 30 FPS lock.
Looks like you have a fan on the purple forum cuz they copy and pasted your summary word for word. They should give credit at least, lol.

PeteBull

Gold Member
Well, technically the perceived resolution is much higher after the reconstuction. Usually at least. Unfortunately, reconstruction doesn't work well with so few pixels.
It works well in screens/stills, in motion its terrible blurry mess, we all saw the vid.
Even much superior dlss is only acceptable if u reconstructing from 1080p to 4k, im not saying its anywhere close to native, but its somewhat ok enough, on consoles, at such tiny base res and in motion, its a diseaster, on top game drops below 30 in any cpu heavy scenario so cities/many npc etc.

TLDR: I will repeat what i said back at the start of current gen, series S is nothing but a scam

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
I'll never fault giving users more options, but I question if anyone would sacrifice this much fidelity to achieve the 60fps. It can be fun to speculate though, and maybe this is a long play for compatibility with an upcoming handheld.

Bojji

Interlaced vs progressive, and it uses reconstruction.
PS1 games almost exclusively ran at 240p or below

No, Tobal No. 1 and Tobal 2 also run at 640x480. However VERY few Playstation games ran at that resolution.

Tobal from 1996 has higher resolution than starfield in 2024

Darsxx82

There are times when giving more options is a waste of time and resources. I think Starfield's version of XSS was very decent for the type of hardware and the type of users it is aimed at. There was no need for more. Better to spend that time polishing the original 30 fps version as much as possible. But we are in a time where if you don't have a 60fps mode (even if it's a crap that goes from 30-60fps) it penalizes you at the level of media and criticism 🤷‍♂️

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
Series S is still a good console, considering there are tons of nice looking games from several generations. Just don't buy too demanding games.
Can't wait for the total overnight pivot that happens with this general performance target when Switch 2 releases.

From "holding the industry back!" to "pretty, pretty please bring it to Switch 2!"

welshrat

I can't even begin to imagine how bad that is. I am playing outlaws in the 40hz mode on PS5 as performance might which drops to 720p at times is just too low for me. I am desperate for the PS5 pro to drop so that I can play fidelity modes at either 40 or 60hz. 432p just be ridiculous

adamsapple

I mean .. still wrong but funny tho. :lollipop_yum:

Last edited:

Three

"Players who are ok with a little bit of unstability should be happy with the frame rate modes"

Drops all the way down to 30fps in performance mode even at 430p isn't what I would call a little bit of unstability [sic]. Thats what they would have called a pixel soup mess normally.

Last edited:
found the perfect tv to play starfield

vintage-tv.jpg

432p to 1080p is downright hilarious. That's less pixels than standard definition. This just shows you how bad the shitbox is and how unoptimized the game is.

Video_Resolution_Chart.svg

Pedantly no because back then games were 4:3. So here it's 640x480 (307200 px) vs 770x432 (332640 px)

kevboard

still no. it's interlaced. which is comparable to checkerboarding, as in it is half the resolution alternating lines between frames.

checkerboarding uses lines at a 45° angle to alternate between, while interlacing uses horizontal lines to alternate between. but it's basically the same concept

Last edited:

Bojji

still no. it's interlaced. which is comparable to checkerboarding, as in it is half the resolution alternating lines between frames.

checkerboarding uses lines at a 45° angle to alternate between, while interlacing uses horizontal lines to alternate between. but it's basically the same concept

Isn't this only about video output so 480i vs. 480p? This wouldn't change internal res but I'm not sure.

kevboard

Isn't this only about video output so 480i vs. 480p? This wouldn't change internal res but I'm not sure.

depends on the game. as far as I am aware, PS1 games should basically all render interlaced tho. I know the menus in Silent Hill render interlaced 480

240p games almost always render the full 240 vertical lines however

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
"Players who are ok with a little bit of unstability should be happy with the frame rate modes"

Drops all the way down to 30fps in performance mode even at 430p isn't what I would call a little bit of unstability [sic]. Thats what they would have called a pixel soup mess normally.
Black Myth Wukong briefly drops to 45 FPS on PS5 = "Too Many Issues"

Starfield drops to 30 FPS at 430p on Series S = "A little bit of instability"

🤔 🤔

Top Bottom