• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dillon's Rolling Western: The Last Ranger |OT| The newest Smash Bros character

iIJeAEXmlOdvl.jpg

iiRhBsFjU66bS.jpg

iQBia2EJEYtK4.jpg

Rootbeer

Banned
I really do hope he's in the next smash brothers. he deserves to be. and I think he fills a nice niche that hasn't been filled.

that said i think this second game feels very same-y... and it's a shame.

Nice OT,I had no idea this was coming out so soon.

Since I imported a 3DS XL from America, and the eShop doesn't accept Paypal, I need to import eShop point cards if I want to buy something from there. This makes the tresholt for buying eShop games pretty high, so I'll be waiting for the review scores to see if I really want this.

Dillon's Rolling Western: The Last Ranger |OT| The newest Smash Bros character

Well, here's hoping he won't be as bad as Sonic.

zroid

Banned
Nice OT,I had no idea this was coming out so soon.

Since I imported a 3DS XL from America, and the eShop doesn't accept Paypal, I need to import eShop point cards if I want to buy something from there. This makes the tresholt for buying eShop games pretty high, so I'll be waiting for the review scores to see if I really want this.

You don't have access to a credit card?

eternalb

Are there still no other reviews for this besides GameXplain's (3.5 / 5) and Stephen's early impressions?

There seems to be a lot of recycled art, sound and music from the first game, but if they introduce more new gameplay things--and since I can finally play the game left-handed--I expect to enjoy the game. I'm not sure I'd be as into it if I'd already played through the first one. This one isn't bursting with innovation. Not from what I've seen so far.

No one else has downloaded it yet? I need moar impressions!

Are there still no other reviews for this besides GameXplain's (3.5 / 5) and Stephen's early impressions?

Game Informer - 7.75

Game Informer said:
Dillon’s Rolling Western: The Last Ranger stands alone with very few comparable games. It’s an original title that blends genres well with fantastic music and appealing characters. The biggest shortcomings are the timers and restrictions on nearly every aspect of the game. I want to spend more time beating up Grocks and exploring, but just when you find your stride, you are pushed towards the next section whether you’re ready or not.

Wiz

I wish there was a demo or something of this. Pretty expensive for an eShop game, and I'll be honest, just watching gameplay doesn't make it look too fun.

Trying to come for Dillon's popularity while wearing a Sonic avi. sjdfhsdkjfh

Bye.
<3

But, on a more serious note: I too wish there was a demo for this. It looks interesting, but I'm not sure that I'm willing to jump for the download.

I'll check out some YouTube stuff on it or something.

Rootbeer

Banned
Dillon's Rolling Western (the first game): 374 blocks
The Last Ranger: 2293 blocks

in contrast, a few other titles picked at semi-random:
Mega Man 3: 63 blocks
Pokemon Dungeon Demo: 1582 blocks
Crimson Shroud: 1965 blocks
Minish Cap: 139 blocks

not before Tempo or Malo

I disagree. Dillon would at the very least be easier to transition from his games to something in a smash bros style, given that he actually numerous fighting moves. As opposed to Mallo whose major skill is to push blocks back and forth and Tempo whose only fighting skills shown in Harmoknight is Regular Swing or charged swing.

serplux

Why the fuck is the Japanese version 1000 yen ($10) more than the original? NCL, you got some explaining to do.

I'll pick this up soon enough. Still got to work my way through Toki Tori 2.

Blast Processing? Blast Processing.

HyperHip

Really slick looking OT! Just finished the first town, and indeed it really feels like a upgrade more so then a sequel.

I will say I like how much faster the game feels now, rolling feels much better now that you can make much sharper turns and speed boosts feel much easier to do now. The game has a hub you can even walk around in after missions it pretty much serves the same purpose as the original one but still cool nonetheless. You can even go outside after grock battles to explore the map, though you can't upgrade anything at night. At the end of the day your able to view the full map and review enemy movements after each day which makes things a lot easier.

Overall i'm liking it a lot so far, hopefully the train missions aren't a hassle.

I disagree. Dillon would at the very least be easier to transition from his games to something in a smash bros style, given that he actually numerous fighting moves. As opposed to Mallo whose major skill is to push blocks back and forth and Tempo whose only fighting skills shown in Harmoknight is Regular Swing or charged swing.

but those characters are from games people play and like

¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

OK, but seriously, I want a demo. The rolling looks fun.

DaBoss

but those characters are from games people play and like

¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

OK, but seriously, I want a demo. The rolling looks fun.

Yea, I don't want to take the plunge. I never played the first one either, and I've read mixed reactions about the first one. It would have to get good positive reviews for me to consider it.

The first game was great. My only problem with it was the lack of diagonal shooting. I realize it was designed that way, but it still bummed me out at times.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

Next game will use two WiiU Discs......

DaBoss

me too

that kind of presumptuousness will only jynx things

though, tbh dillon's not a bad choice

as an assist trophy

Yea, thinking the same thing.

Talking about Dillon being an assist trophy.

Lucario > Zoroark still. Maybe Zoroark can be an assist trophy. :p

serplux

Yea, thinking the same thing.

Talking about Dillon being an assist trophy.

Lucario > Zoroark still. Maybe Zoroark can be an assist trophy. :p

It would be a horrendous shame if Dillon got in before Mike Jones.

How long is The Last Ranger supposedly?

Ok, now you're making me nervous. Did I miss something in the game where you could shoot diagonally? (3DS version) because that sure would explain a LOT about how hard the game was.

Shooting? In Dillons Rolling Western?

Uhh...

Maybe I missed something, but I have no idea what you're talking about. As far as I remember, Dillion doesn't have any guns to speak of, and the gun towers have fixed target locations based on the weapons you equip them with.

eternalb

Ok, now you're making me nervous. Did I miss something in the game where you could shoot diagonally? (3DS version) because that sure would explain a LOT about how hard the game was.

Do you mean rolling during battle? You could "shoot" him in any direction by moving the stylus to change his direction

Edit: Your username might be strangely apt in this case =D

Wiseblade

HOLD THE PHONE

There's a charged swing? What does it do?!

Shooting? In Dillons Rolling Western?

Uhh...

Maybe I missed something, but I have no idea what you're talking about. As far as I remember, Dillion doesn't have any guns to speak of, and the gun towers have fixed target locations based on the weapons you equip them with.
Wow, I'm an idiot. I was confusing this game with Gunman Clive. Derp.

Good:

- Amazing 3D models
- Walk around the bar
- Go out at night to get familiar with the area
- Get money for achieving some conditions in battle
- Side maps
- And yeah, it's fun

Bad:

- Reused assets, like artwork, areas, items, etc... feels waaay too familiar, very LAZY
- Same old side-quests/characters and these are not even in 3D

For now it looks like a cheap sequel, but I have only finished the first episode, I'm hoping for new attacks, towers, guns, monsters, etc.

Newcomers should get it, but if you have already played the first one you might want to wait for further impressions. (unless you are a big fan, of course)

Camjo-Z

Man, after getting Guacamelee I totally forgot about this game. Gonna have to get it ASAP!

And if Dillon doesn't get into Smash I will be very disappointed... it's not like Nintendo's had many other new IP's since Pikmin that are as well suited for Smash as this one.

Top Bottom