• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DiRT Showdown |OT| A new kind of DiRT

You know what's not helping sales? I was in gamestation yesterday and this game brand new was listed at £42.50, I know it's nothing to do with codemasters but really, who is going to buy this game at that price in retail stores?

I wasn't too jazzed by the demo, but I love me some Dirt. This is more gymkhana and stuff right?

Also, a little off topic, but does anyone know if my dirt 3 save is compatible with the complete edition? I figure it'll work out cheaper to trade dirt 3 for that than get all the DLC.

It should be, complete is just dirt 3 plus the dlc on the same disc.

NinjaBoiX

It should be, complete is just dirt 3 plus the dlc on the same disc.
Yeah, it's just that some saves don't seem to play nice with different BLES/BLUS codes on PS3, Demons Souls for example. Thought I might encounter a similar problem. A quick google search got me a similar "it should work" reply, just wondered if anyone knows for sure.

You know what's not helping sales? I was in gamestation yesterday and this game brand new was listed at £42.50, I know it's nothing to do with codemasters but really, who is going to buy this game at that price in retail stores?
any word on sales of this? seemed like a pretty quiet release. how many poeple on the leaderboards?

I just looked on Amazon and here in the US the preorder is on sale for $40, with a $10 credit. I think I'm going to jump on it despite earlier reservations, that's not a bad price.

Link

Just read THE IGN review. I normally don't
bother commenting on reviews, but the review is really awful. The game is already discounted on zavvi ( 24,95 pounds ). When you like arcaderacers and don't expect the game to be dirt 4, you can't go wrong.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Euro-GAF, we need to keep more games going. Add me on Steam - subversus. I play a lot of games but I think I'll be down for a race or too and definitely down for a game on a weekend unless I'm playing some other games.

soultron

Banned
The GT review made it seem like this game is good fun. I don't really have the time for a fully-featured racing game these days, so this might hit the spot. Same with the new Forza.

I never thought I'd be saying that. I guess this is growing up.

So, my 360 copy came in the post today and whilst enjoying it so far I've been experiencing occasional pauses while playing. Sometimes these last for 5 seconds at a time.
I've installed to HDD but not noticed with any games before.

So, my 360 copy came in the post today and whilst enjoying it so far I've been experiencing occasional pauses while playing. Sometimes these last for 5 seconds at a time.

Same here. Installed it to HDD but during the first 3-4 minutes after starting the game (not in menue, ingame - even online) the game pauses once . Sometimes for one second, sometimes for 3 seconds. I have no idea what causes this problem!

Same here. Installed it to HDD but during the first 3-4 minutes after starting the game (not in menue, ingame - even online) the game pauses once . Sometimes for one second, sometimes for 3 seconds. I have no idea what causes this problem!

Uh. I don't like the sound of that.

Anyone else seeing this?

Amazon recently reduced the price of Showdown to $39.99. I had pre-ordered it a while ago at $59.99, with a $10 credit.

So my copy shipped yesterday at the $39.99 price point, but I have yet to get my $10 credit. Wondering what's up with that.

Very happy to get the reduced price though.

Amazon dropped off my copy... Just installed to my Xbox 360. Very excited to get started.

Active thread we have here LOL, not too much excitement for this title?

Amazon dropped off my copy... Just installed to my Xbox 360. Very excited to get started.

Active thread we have here LOL, not too much excitement for this title?

Apparently not.

It's a fun game, but so far I do hope the racing tracks get larger. They all seem too confined and small.

I finall got my $10 credit from Amazon too, so I basically paid $30 for the game. Not bad at all.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
fuck rally!

Had a lot of fun with this on the weekend in MP. Never had that much fun in a racing game since Destruction Derby and Flatout.

U2NUMB

fuck rally!

Had a lot of fun with this on the weekend in MP. Never had that much fun in a racing game since Destruction Derby and Flatout.

Flatout is a perfect game to compare it against. Again it is like nothing else out there right now so it fills a good void and I am very happy they thought better of the price at 59.99.

It is a pain but really hasn't distracted me from having great fun with the game.
I looked on the official forum and there are no other reports (other than my own post).

Same problem here. Does not happen very often, but now and again the picture freezes ( for the record: 360 Slim Halo Reach Edition )

RetroGreg

Got this from Amazon. Played online for a couple hours last night with a few friends and it was good fun. I had it set on casual so I don't know how much of a difference that may make, but it was great playing the derby maps and we did some "team" events as well. The figure 8 derby races are great.

U2NUMB

Same problem here. Does not happen very often, but now and again the picture freezes ( for the record: 360 Slim Halo Reach Edition )

Just a thought.. I have the same 360 and had similar issues with Dirt 3 even to the point where it would lock up all the time. The solution I found was to turn off all notifications.. it seemed anytime a friend jumped online or an achievement was earned it would pause or lock up all together.

Give that a try and see if it helps.

Just a thought.. I have the same 360 and had similar issues with Dirt 3 even to the point where it would lock up all the time. The solution I found was to turn off all notifications.. it seemed anytime a friend jumped online or an achievement was earned it would pause or lock up all together.

Give that a try and see if it helps.

Thanks, gonna give it a try...but how do I turn them off btw??

Okay I've spent some more time with this... Sooooo good!

Dirt 2 and now this really take me back to the arcade style fun I had with last gen SSX (not the new one). In a way, Dirt 2 and Dirt Showdown are like this gen's SSX in style, music, and just fun. That being said, I didn't care much for Dirt 3. I like this style better.

Can't wait for the weekend to really spend time with it.

robot

If anyone wants another guy on their leaderboard, add me on 360: pepperjack. I have one person on mine, lol.

So now that we have this game can we have a Dirt game that's all about rallyracing too? :(

In dirt 3 the monte carlo DLC is a step above the included regular rally tracks, I damn hope that dirt 4 is pure rally at that quality through and through.

For reference codies, look at colin mcrae 2.

Skyzard

Banned
I know this is old. And it was probably supposed to be like a stop-gap between Dirt 3 and 4, which isn't out yet and that was all years ago.

But it's been on my wishlist for some reason, I heard it was more destruction fun and it's on sale (steam) for chump change - go for it?

I've got so many racing games, not many destruction ones though. I do have that Bugbear one, with the cool engine erm - next car game, it's a lot of fun.

Still worth grabbing this?

Top Bottom