• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Discuss your awesome game ideas

Stumbled upon a subreddit that's all about sharing your favorite game ideas, thought it would be cool to hear what kind of stuff GAFfers would like to see

Here are mine:

Slashers - A horror action roguelike inspired by horror movies
The basic premise is that you play a character in a randomly generated location and must complete certain tasks and escape. Not sure if it would be third person or first. A single masked enemy is hunting you through your playthrough; there would be several types of enemies, each inspired by a horror movie archetype:
  • Slow but nearly unkillable and unstoppable. You can only slow him down (Jason)
  • The hooded child, fastest and can hide and ambush you (Them, Citadel)
  • The masked twins (the Strangers), they can set traps and work together to distract and blindside you
  • The crossbow wielding stalker, who actively hunts you down (You're Next)
  • The subtle stealthy killer, who waits in the shadows and attacks when you least expect it, always one step ahead (think Michael Myers)
  • An otherworldly killer, can teleport and close off doors and change the layout of the world (Kruger)
  • An aggressive savage beast that can track you (Dog Soldiers, horror movie creatures)
  • A dark being that can disable lights and electricity, weak against certain weapons (Pinhead, other demonic killers)
The most important and critical feature would be the enemy AI. It can't just be another game enemy. The killer would have to be intelligent and reactive, able to learn and adapt to your tactics, become more aggressive and reckless as he's wounded. Since there's only one enemy, conflicts would need to be tense and extended: not just whacking at an enemy, but maybe waiting and stabbing a leg with a screwdriver to slow him down, or barely escaping a struggle and limping through the forest with the killer right behind you. You'd be weak and easy to kill so smart planning and improved tactics would be a must.

Levels could range from the good old camp grounds to a farm/corn field, school, warehouse, abandoned house, a school, a carnival, the woods, and more. Your primary goal is to escape, preferably find a vehicle and get out of the there, but on foot would be an option to, if you find the vehicle has been disabled already. Your secondary goals would all be tangentially related to that: find the keys, repair the vehicle, find an entrance into the garage, stuff like that. You can also try to kill your enemy, but that would be easier said than done

But all the while you're being hunted a masked killer. How do you react? Stay stealthy and hide? Get a weapon to protect yourself? Go on the defensive and rig traps and barriers? Just run like hell?

Also there could possibly character classes based on the stereotypical genre types, such as:
  • the Athletic has better stamina and strength but can't repair vehicles or rig traps
  • the Student knows how to repair and set traps but has poor stamina and must really on stealth
  • the Girl starts off with low stats but they boost as she becomes more damaged or when the killer attacks, etc.
Leaving one area would lead to another, they'd have randomly generated layouts and the killer would randomly assigned each time. There could random events too: the police show up, your cell phone starts ringing (gives away your location), you break an ankle (can only limp), etc. The enemy follows you as well, and damage you inflict in one area persists to the next. Killing the slasher is the main way to win

Goddess of the Sky - an Organ Trail-style ascent of Mount Everest
The game would be titled Goddess of the Sky, which is the literal translation of the Nepali name for Everest ("Sagarmatha"). Your objective is to start from base camp, reach the summit, and make it back to the base...or not. You'd have a randomly assigned team of four climbers, chosen from a variety of personality and perks. Based on these characters, you have to strategically pre-plan for the ascent, from hiring Sherpas to purchasing bridging ladders and more durable tents and equipment. Any and all your team will be able to die. If your entire team dies or you're forced to be rescued, that's game over

Then you'd have to plan each day of your climb. Certain activities would take more time to complete, be more risky or less risky, have various consequences for your team. You'd also have to consider weather systems and ground stability, stopping to feed and rest your team, oxygen levels at higher altitudes, sickness and frostbite, different mountaineering dangers, etc. Routes that were viable before may not be available after a storm or avalanche occurs. You also have to keep your team moral and focus up by resting often and in safe places, granting recreational time, and choosing relatively safe routes. But will you put the goal of reaching the top before the safety and well-being of your team?

So for example: you're halfway up Everest. Thanks to the wealthy climber on your team, you have better laptops and a support station at base and thus can more accurately predict the path and strength of a coming storm. You need to move your current camp and get to a safer location. The less risky route would be more time consuming and if you lose time, you may find your team trapped in the storm. But the risky route will take you through an unstable area with a high percentage of resulting in an avalanche.

One of your team is already suffering from mild frostbite so you decide to take the safer but longer route and rest less to gain more time. But this results in one of your exhausted team members falling into a crevasse. Now you have to choose between taking time to wait for a rescue team or moving on and saving the rest of your team from the incoming storm. Leaving the man behind would take a hit on your team's morale and focus for the rest of the expedition.

The game visuals would be a simple map of the mountain, with various overlays that display weather systems and stability. Hazards like crevasses, areas that require climbing, iced over slippery areas, etc. would be displayed on the map too. Your team would be represented by a group of four icons whose color represent their status.
More ideas could be:
  • A competitive multiplayer mode in which players each control a team and try to claim the summit and return to base first
  • A historic mode, where you only have the equipment and gear of certain eras
  • Modifiers such as no supplemental oxygen, solo ascent, rescue team (goal is to reach as many trapped or stranded climbers as possible before a storm hits), etc.
  • New Game Plus: successfully completing an expedition grants you special funding for your next trip, team members that have made the climb are more experienced on future trips, and unlock special perks and traits since they're becoming known famous climbers

Wendigo - gory stealth action
So the premise is that you play a man cursed by a coven to become a wendigo and suffer for eternity. This curse forces you to feast on humans or starve to death and the hunger changes you into a monstrous beast, the titular Wendigo.

The game would be played from an isometric view and each map would be a mini sandbox, similar to the Hitman games. The player would be able to switch between two forms: human and wendigo. In human form, you lose health at a slower rate but are not as fast and much more susceptible to normal weapons. In human form, you can hide in crowds, crouch and peer around corners, use enemy weapons and grab enemies to drag them out of sight or use as a human shield. Cursed weapons don't have much of an effect on you. You can even wear enemy uniforms to hide among them and sabotage them from within.

As a wendigo, you lose health at an extremely accelerated rate, but can jump onto rooftops, stalk enemies from the trees, hide in snowbanks and cling to ceilings. You're as fast as the wind, bigger and stronger than a regular human, and can tear enemies apart with your claws and fangs. But these attacks are much louder and leave a bloody mess that can alert guards (or scare them). Cursed weapons kill you almost instantly but normal weapons barely hurt you. NPCs flee from you. Magic countermeasures can detect your presence.

So the game would require the player to balance their dropping health (which is restored by feeding on NPCs and enemies) and weighing the options of remaining more stealthy but easier to kill or trade health and anonymity for speed and the killing prowess of the wendigo.

The story would revolve around the man's quest to free himself from the curse and get revenge on the coven. The story would start in the early 18th century and levels would periodically take place along his lifetime till the end of the 21st century. Enemies would get stronger and more dangerous as technology advances, but the options and tactics available to you would also expand. An 18th century guard post might be guarded by tripwires and a watchman, while future camps would have motion detectors and auto sentry guns. The covens would grow more aware of you as time passed and create new obstacles to stop you, like runes that create barriers and possessed enemies that can track your scent.

Sethista

Or, free brainstorming for all the devs here at GAF.

I like your two ideas, cant imagine how to implement tho, mechanics and such.

Why I am no dev I suppose

My idea is called Recursion: A Repeating Tale
The game is an RPG where take a party of four to defeat the evil invaders of the land. However upon victory, the main character is killed. You are then, set to the beginning of your adventure. The "gimmick" of this game is that when you die, you are sent to the beginning. As such, the main quest will be short to counter the cost of lost. Also, the player can determine how the saving system will work for their play through between the option of hard saving, quick saving or no saving. The side quests will have roughly the half amount of content as the main quest each. The combat system will be a turn based system. If you beat the game, more content will unlock in new game plus which will have a traditional save system and deaths will just reset you back to where you last saved.

CorySchmitz

A game in the style of Journey but you play as a piece of origami paper & you can switch between crane/frog/etc to complete the puzzles & explore the world. I imagine the transforming/folding animations would look pretty sweet.

CorySchmitz

Also, a game like Disaster Report but set on a space habitat (like Elysium) after debris collides with it. You'd have to survive & escape back to Earth.

MrWhitefolks

Neo Member
I always fancied the idea of a stealth/horror game where you play as the antagonist. Put some randomizing aspect in there so the area/layout/victim density of the 'scene' is different, and divy up the stats/attributes/options based on the class you play (anything from an elderly type who poisons kids with her cookies, your average slasher villain, alien invader, to a killer kid or doll/toy, etc). Each one having obvious pros and cons, but aesthetically customizable by the player.

Stage/scene layouts would be familiar trappings of the genre (home, college dorm/school, mall, amusement park, etc) with base objectives (kill a specific character, kill all characters, frame character, use environment, etc) and reasons for the horror ('grandma is angry due to the loud music') falling into a more 'dark comedy' aspect to alleviate the gravity of the situation (death animations would be a mix of serious/over the top/referential).

Bonus points awarded if you're never 'found out', playing to your class strengths (ex: if playing as a slasher type, you'd get bonuses for leaving bodies in areas that result in 'jump scares' to your victims), and give up the SDK to the public for mod support.

MCN

Banned
Ah, time to wheel out the same idea I always wheel out in these types of thread:

This may not really appeal to anyone outside of the UK, but stuff it.

A game very similar to GTA. Set in the North-East of England in the mid-80's. The map consists of a city based on Sunderland, several medium-sized towns and a few smaller villages. Your protagonist is a coal miner who has just lost his job as the pit was closed down. In order to support his family, he at first turns to petty crime, but ends up getting involved with a gang of football hooligans.

Moving up the ranks of the gang, he starts to get involved in more serious crimes such as armed robbery. I still haven't quite worked out how to end the story.

bjork

40-person online Battle Royale deathmatch.

Lumberjack Olympics (not that wii nonsense) and World's Strongest Man games.

limlark

A physics-based escape-the-room game where you're steadily either shrinking or growing, probably toggling between the two at will. Objects in the room will maintain their size relative to you while they're in your inventory, and relative to the room when they're not.

A game in the style of Journey but you play as a piece of origami paper & you can switch between crane/frog/etc to complete the puzzles & explore the world. I imagine the transforming/folding animations would look pretty sweet.
I really like this.

old

A real time stock trading game with football players. Like fantasy football without drafting. You buy stocks in players on Sunday and then buy sell and trade their stock live throughout the day as they perform; where their on field performance affects their stock value as much as their stock demand does. You only score fantasy points for what they do while you own their stock, so if you buy before they throw the touchdown and sell before they throw the interception then you get the points for the touchdown and avoid the loss of points for interception.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen

J-Tier

- I have an idea for a puzzle platformer where you can shoot a projectile, and with the press of another button, you would teleport to the projectile's location. This would allow for some potentially complex puzzles, with a simple control scheme.

- An action game that's built around free-falling/skydiving from a very high point and you take down enemies that're coming at you from below as well as giant bosses. I suppose you'd be in a wingsuit that'll allow you to accelerate/dive and decelerate.

- A survival horror in the dark depths of the sea. You're in an old diving suit, equipped with a lamplight walking through the murky sea floor exploring sunken ships and "lost cities" whilst dealing with sharks, giant squid, spirits of the dead, and zombie mermaids (cuz why the hell not).

- While on the topic of zombies, a zombie-fantasy game in a medieval setting. You have zombie knights, zombie fairy swarms, zombie elves, zombie dwarves, etc etc. Would be similar to your typical zombie game...but instead of wielding guns, you have magic and swords. And zombie fairies! Those suckers swarming like mosquitoes spreading the infection faster than the plague.

- A sports-action game in third-person reminiscent of Blood Bowl. I can just imagine barreling down the field and mowing down the opponents in heavy rain as you slow down upon reaching a ten-foot tall hulking monster in American football gear.

MMO dodgeball.

Simply dodgeball. Like that classic Super Dodgeball game. Cheerful color scheme. Teams can be made and tournaments held. Prizes prizes prizes. Simple control scheme but timing is key and skill truly earned and required to be a champion. Special attacks.

Players can add their face photos or drawings to the cartoony bodies to make their teams feel like a real world sports team. No gritty aesthetics.

Use animation style of Guilty Gear Xrd.

Worldwide tournaments would be so fun. Or tournaments events like EVO.

Small teams to large teams. Would be so fun to watch the tournaments brackets. Everyone loves playoffs in sports.

Imagine this, with today's tech and enhanced, focused, clearer, faster gameplay:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np7-xrlYhLg

Dodgeball!

So, when you beat the game, the main character dies and the game restarts. But to get New Game+, you have to beat the game? Am I dumb?

I didn't really clarify but that's the opening of the game. When you actually attempt to complete the game, you don't have to die

terrisus

There are two friends who happen to encounter a princess in disguise, who gets sucked through a portal into another time. One of the friends goes after her to save her. In that time, she was mistaken for the queen, who was going to be killed, causing the princess in disguise to disappear. You save her though, and the other friend comes along explaining that the princess in disguise is the descendant of the queen from that time, and that you had went back into the past. When you go back to the present, you are brought to trial, accused of kidnapping the princess. You are sent to jail, but escape, and you, your friend, and the princess escape to another time, finding out that it's the future. Here, you encounter a robot, and save him. After you save him, you discover a machine that shows you that the world is going to be destroyed in the future, and so the three of you decide to set off and try to stop that from happening.

That's just the beginning, but, I think the rest of it will come together pretty well. I think I have a hit on my hands here.

FluxWaveZ

Perhaps with survival elements added into it like character endurance and water/food. Stealth focused, competitive online survival game where matches last 10-15 minutes and players hunt each other down with their only equipment being an initially randomized weapon/item and a map.

Every minute, a section of the map would be rendered illegal. Players found in such an area would be killed, naturally. If it would actually have survival properties such as food/water, a transport could be sent to a randomly indicated area of the map every 2 minutes. A water/food meter dictating character efficiency would be implemented accordingly making these supply drops essential for players to want to fight to obtain.

Or, instead of making the game a copy of Battle Royale, it could have the same focus of an online, competitive multiplayer survival game but add in elements of Battle Royale, Btooom!, The Hunger Games and Future Diary.

Or, if it wouldn't be competitive based, it could be a narrative focused game with the same premise of Battle Royale handled by a company like Telltale.

Lemnisc8

I'm sorry to revive a pretty dead thread (mods if this is against a ToS I have missed please feel free to action as you see fit) but I had a kind of a "lightbulb" moment and this is the most recent thread about an idea for a non-specific game, and as a junior I can't yet create a thread so here I am!

Especially from a gamers perspective rather than a Dev when looking at "good ideas" (which of course could be great from a know nothing person on how difficult it would be or even possible to technically achieve).

So I have a solid idea for a game. No experience in making one and what I have in mind is beyond my scope to achieve. Decent musician, but can't program for toffee. Haven't managed a group bigger than five on a small scale.

But what I do have GAF, is an idea so good its driving me crazy that I haven't seen a game mix these three genres up that are so different.... yet come together in an amazing complimentary way. It won't of course be for everyone but I think it blends like a mighty fine beverage that many people would enjoy.

How do you get in contact with 'the right people'?

Has anyone with no experience whatsoever in the gaming industry ever made it happen?

Any words of wisdom to impart GAF?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm sorry to revive a pretty dead thread (mods if this is against a ToS I have missed please feel free to action as you see fit)

While full members are encouraged to create a new thread rather than bump an old one, juniors get a pass as they cannot create new threads. Rest assured that no harm will come to your account, although your post seems more fitting for the indie game dev thread -- with very few exceptions, publishers don't buy ideas. Best to work with others on transmogrifying that twinkle in your eye to something tangible.

Animal Crossing, except the town is barren and you instead encounter and converse with villagers in random encounters as you walk around it.

You didn't say they had to be good ideas.

EDIT: oh damn this is old.

Lemnisc8

While full members are encouraged to create a new thread rather than bump an old one, juniors get a pass as they cannot create new threads. Rest assured that no harm will come to your account, although your post seems more fitting for the indie game dev thread -- with very few exceptions, publishers don't buy ideas.

When I searched on mobile it didn't even tell me which section the thread was in so I just had to chance it!

I fully respect what you say though my idea might be pretty tricky to actually do. It would probably require a solid indie with a good team, because having scope doesn't necessarily mean substance (not mentioning names). Having said that I'd love to discuss it with someone who could do something worthwhile with it and there are some really talented indies out there. The game premise is relitively simple but the sheer difference in genres and the scope it would mean would be tricky to manage and pull off technically.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out, because it would be one hell of a game.

missile

When I searched on mobile it didn't even tell me which section the thread was in so I just had to chance it!

I fully respect what you say though my idea might be pretty tricky to actually do. It would probably require a solid indie with a good team, because having scope doesn't necessarily mean substance (not mentioning names). Having said that I'd love to discuss it with someone who could do something worthwhile with it and there are some really talented indies out there. The game premise is relitively simple but the sheer difference in genres and the scope it would mean would be tricky to manage and pull off technically.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out, because it would be one hell of a game.
Come over to the indie thread and explain your idea over there. And, as was
already said, ideas are worth nothing in the game industry. Any game developer
I know has a pile of great ideas right next at the table. Realizing an idea
is what makes all of the difference. Even if it's greatest idea ever, be not
surprised finding most of the developers not giving any applause if you
can't say how to realize it.

nkarafo

I'm thinking of a game with a similar mechanic as this one:

greatscape_zxspectrum.jpg

This is called Great Escape and your objective is to escape the camp. However, there is a catch. If you let your character idle, he just goes by the camp rules. He attends roll calls, he goes wherever he is supposed to go, never tries anything funny, get in trouble, etc. In other words, if you let him alone, you see the game play itself like a prisoner camp simulator.

It's only when you take control of the character that allows him to do things he is not supposed to do in order to complete objectives so he can escape.

Basically, this is a glorified idle animation. But the way it's presented here makes you feel like you are some kind of guardian angel that pushes this poor character escape from this place.

So i'm thinking of a game with a similar mechanic in mind but expanded so it's more important gameplay wise. I'm thinking of a small sandbox town where your character is trapped in a time loop, like Groundhog Day. You see him go by his day doing mundane, everyday things while he wonders why he feels deja-vu but you can intervene in order to explore more and solve the mystery. You see that dark alley he just passed? Maybe i'll take control of him to see what's in there. That kind of thing.

And maybe you could "invade" other NPCs so you can lead him in other places that he alone normally can't, even when you control him. It could be a mix of Majora's Mask, Great Escape, Shenmue and those games where you invade other character's minds to get their properties. There could be some cool spectator options as well in case you just want to relax and watch your guy or the NPCs do their thing.

That's the basic idea.

Edit: Bad thread to post this.

Lemnisc8

Come over to the indie thread and explain your idea over there. And, as was
already said, ideas are worth nothing in the game industry. Any game developer
I know has a pile of great ideas right next at the table. Realizing an idea
is what makes all of the difference. Even if it's greatest idea ever, be not
surprised finding most of the developers not giving any applause if you
can't say how to realize it.

I'll head on over to the other thread but it looked more like a technical discussion and so far this is only in the "I've had a great idea" phase.

Both replies seem to tell me that my post came across the wrong way, I'm not like looking to sell to a dev, I'm looking to find out just how to get it made, I'm not in it for the money - I just want to the play the game I have realised in my head and have a part in it's creation!

It's fully explainable and not that complicated at all even though technically it would be. Anyways I'll put this in the right place to be discussed and sorry again for reviving a long dead thread.

missile

I'll head on over to the other thread but it looked more like a technical discussion and so far this is only in the "I've had a great idea" phase.

Both replies seem to tell me that my post came across the wrong way, I'm not like looking to sell to a dev, I'm looking to find out just how to get it made, I'm not in it for the money - I just want to the play the game I have realised in my head and have a part in it's creation! ...
That's really what the indie gamedev thread is for, i.e. to discuss and
finding ways to get things going.

... It's fully explainable and not that complicated at all even though technically it would be. Anyways I'll put this in the right place to be discussed and sorry again for reviving a long dead thread.
There is no problem reviving an old thread as longs as it adds to the same
discussion and isn't really newsworthy on its own. So I think it was a much
better choice to revive this thread instead of making a new. ;)

bjork

I saw the title and was like "man, they still haven't made a WSM game or a proper Lumberjack Olympics"

I see I have myself covered already

Lumberjack Olympics (not that wii nonsense) and World's Strongest Man games.

Totally forgot about the BR game. That's a good idea if it hasn't been done by now.

TissueBox

I'm thinking of a game with a similar mechanic as this one:

greatscape_zxspectrum.jpg

This is called Great Escape and your objective is to escape the camp. However, there is a catch. If you let your character idle, he just goes by the camp rules. He attends roll calls, he goes wherever he is supposed to go, never tries anything funny, get in trouble, etc. In other words, if you let him alone, you see the game play itself like a prisoner camp simulator.

It's only when you take control of the character that allows him to do things he is not supposed to do in order to complete objectives so he can escape.

Basically, this is a glorified idle animation. But the way it's presented here makes you feel like you are some kind of guardian angel that pushes this poor character escape from this place.

So i'm thinking of a game with a similar mechanic in mind but expanded so it's more important gameplay wise. I'm thinking of a small sandbox town where your character is trapped in a time loop, like Groundhog Day. You see him go by his day doing mundane, everyday things while he wonders why he feels deja-vu but you can intervene in order to explore more and solve the mystery. You see that dark alley he just passed? Maybe i'll take control of him to see what's in there. That kind of thing.

And maybe you could "invade" other NPCs so you can lead him in other places that he alone normally can't, even when you control him. It could be a mix of Majora's Mask, Great Escape, Shenmue and those games where you invade other character's minds to get their properties. There could be some cool spectator options as well in case you just want to relax and watch your guy or the NPCs do their thing.

That's the basic idea.

Edit: Bad thread to post this.

I like this idea.

SuperOrez

I want an American Football game where the players have super powers. My original idea was a Pokemon football game but I'm sure that will never happen shop this would be the next best thing. Football needs less realism inn a video game.

A Metroidvania sort of game in which you can only carry one ability at a time for a given body part; so, for example, if you stumble upon the ability to execute a double jump, you can choose to drop your current movement ability (let's say, the ability to walk on walls) and equip the new one or leave it behind. Same goes for the body (think varying immunities to specific types of damage so you can reach specific areas) and the hands (different types of weapons, also capable of solving different types of tasks). This would allow for a lot of *really* interesting puzzle design, hopefully also with a fair amount of freeform approaches being viable beyond the 'obvious' ones so people could solve puzzles in multiple ways, engage in clever sequence breaking, et cetera. But also, enemy encounters would be wildly different depending on your current 'build.'

I have an amazing concept of a game, but i feel like too much of Shigeru Miyamoto to reveal it before its done

all i can say is that its called "CODE: ASTRON"

Kinsei

Banned
It's very basic right now but mine is for a VR SRPG (Like X-Com) where you take the roll of a commander in a war room. You control your troops with hand movements via a hologram in the center of the room. The hologram only lets you see what your troops see so you would have to consult a map of the area in order to try and figure out where the enemies might be hiding. You would also have the ability to send out drones to get a better view of your surroundings in the hologram, but they can be destroyed. I think it could be really cool if it was fleshed out and I added in more mechanics that made you feel like a commander.

I think for enemies I'd use some sort of sea monsters. The ocean produces some truly terrifying things in the real world that could make for great monster design inspirations.

Toad.T

Banned
A life-sim like game where you're a NPC in a villiage/town. You have to work, eat, sleep, play, love, all while trying to help the heroes out (And dealing with their shenanigans, such as them barging into your house, or scrounging around your house for items.) Has elements of Animal Crossing, but depending on the career you go in, you get into other genres like time-managment (Run a store for heroes and other NPC's), action (Protect the town from outside threats), puzzle (Make sure the utilities work for the town), fighting (Uphold the law), creature raising (Make sure the animals are ready for the obligatory minigame) and more.

I had a gameplay mechanic idea around how a Superman game would work in today's day and age. The idea would be centered around Superman as a solar battery, that is, Superman would have two bars for health and for solar power. The idea is that Superman would be invulnerable so long as his solar power bar was filled due to exposure to sun rays. Now there's a catch, you have full access to Superman's powers but that comes at a cost to how much solar power is used. If you use a lot of his powers and don't recover the solar rays in time, you will lose your invulnerability. Moreover, if an enemy has access to Kryptonite you lose the bar entirely and fight akin to a somewhat inexperienced combatant (to mimic the disparity between Superman powered up and Superman depowered).

That would solve the age-old problem with Superman concepts where people focus too much on invulnerability, whereas this idea focuses more so on resource management as a means to avoid damage.

Awww, a thread from my first year on GAF

A Godzilla/Pacific Rim-inspired RTS
It would be an asymmetrical RTS: your military forces against a single kaiju, a single overwhelming foe against the larger but comparatively weaker military force. You must hold back and defeat massive kaiju while simulateously evacuating cities and researching new technology and defenses.
Rather than the usual offensive focus of most RTS's, here the gameplay would be more defensive: working to slow down and redirect the encroaching beasts, counter their increasingly devastating abilities, and manage your smaller weaker military forces while you gather enough funds and materials to construct powerful mechs strong enough to combat the kaiju. Your main goals, besides defeating the monsters, would be limiting civilian causalities and property damage. That's where the evacuation mechanics come into play. Choosing which areas to evacuate, where to direct citizens, how long those plans will take are linked to the military and defense tactics since you'd want to direct kaijus towards cleared areas and away from civilians.
Different kaiju would dictate your strategies and focus. Some may be aerial. Others attack from the water or burrow underground. Some may be fast but weak or large and slow or equipped with devstating abilities like EMPs, thermal blasts, regeneration, etc

Rymuth

Serial Killer Murder Mystery

3rd Person Adventure title that is a cross between Shenmue and Heavy Rain (the close over-the-shoulder camera puts emphasis on realism) You are in a small sleepy mountain that is stricken by a grisly murder of somebody close to you. You can choose to set out and investigate it or you may continue to live out your life until the timer runs out as there is a finite amount of days before the murderer completes his quota and moves on. Like Shenmue, the town's citizens have their own schedules and daily lives that you can take advantage from. For example, you can sneak into the Sherrif's house when he is out and his wife took their kids to school in, order to access his files on the case. As you are not a member of the town's law enforcement, lack of cooperation is your biggest obstacle. The more days pass, the more people drop dead. Victims are randomized for each playthrough but the characters will be fleshed out so that you would feel a genuine twinge of sadness for not stopping the murderer sooner.

I chose Shenmue and not Deadly Premonition because of the camera angle. The far away view of DP made the town seem less intimate, almost diorama-like. This is a game where your character moves slowly, emphasizing his weight and the scale of the environment.

Top Bottom