• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disk Resurfacing

I am looking to repair a few disks that I have bought used. I am told there is some process that takes off a small layer leaving the disk looking brand new. I have bought games off of ebay that have had this done to them, and they look and play great. My qustion is, are there any negative repricussions to this, and, where can I get this done to my disks?

TheDiave

Banned
Sure there's a negative side. Basically, all CD's and DVD's have a layer of clear plastic covering the actual platter that contains the data (look at a CD sometime from the side). The concept behind resurfacing is indeed shaving off a layer of the plastic... But naturally, it's possible to shave down to and damage the platter if it's done too many times.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Doing it 3-4 times won't put you in danger of wearing it down completely, but I will agree that it should be done as little as possible.

ninge

i'm interested in this too - anyone know how i can get it done? can you buy something that does it? or does anyone know of somewhere in the uk that does it?

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
MaddenNFL64 said:
I just sand em down, and then polish em.

They don't work, but it's sure shiny!

LOL!

Vark

Gamedoctors do work but they leave a radial pattern on the bottom of the disc.

If you want to really resurface them then there are places online you can mail your cd to and for a couple of bucks they'll resurface them and mail them back. Rental stores usually have them too, so if you have a friend that works at one you could hit him up for it.

The only other option I know is to drop 500 bucks on a resurfacing machine.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I've got a Game Doctor and it works awesome. I fixed many games and movies since picking it up and have never had a problem with it. I use it on rental games all the time. It seems every game I rent has some crazy scratch on it. Game Doctor to the rescue.

Dave Long said:
Got a buffer of some kind? That's what they use at the Microplay near me. They do it for a buck.

I've got a polishing wheel in my garage, with an electric motor, of course. Does anyone know what kind of polishing compound would work for plastic? It would have to be awfully fine.

Dave Long

Banned
If you can get a wheel that's used for buffing, that should work. I'm not even sure they put anything on the discs themselves when the do it. I'll take one up there when I get a chance so I can watch how they do it again.

Top Bottom