• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WB Looking to sell off games/divisions to prevent breakup....good time for MK to leave WB!

Phase

I haven't paid for any streaming service for a long time. Seeing an "ad-tier" is hilariously sad. Can't believe people still pay for such shit treatment.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Netherealm/monolith/ rock steady/ deserves a better publisher.

Save them, Chinese/Saudi Arabia overlords!

Hudo

The only valuable studio WB have is Monolith. Monolith could make cool FPS games again instead of wasting their time on that Wonder Woman game.

BlackTron

all to Microsoft, already called Phil /s - but seriously they - MS, have got so many studios, they need some well know IPs from the entertainment industry.

I agree. MS clearly does not own enough IP to match their output potential. Maintaining their own IP may be difficult but buying out another one is the perfect fix for this problem.

ReBurn

Gold Member
The problem with current WB Games and a sale is how much of their current output is based on IP that wouldn't come along with the sale. Aside from MK what would a buyer really get? Makes me think that the only studio that's likely to survive divestment of WB Games is NetherRealm and only if the MK IP comes with it.

When they tried to sell off the gaming division before none of the IP was going with the studios so you can buy NRS but you don't get Mortal Kombat, you'd have to license that separately. Why would anyone do that? I don't know if they've changed that stance at all but I'd think they'd have to if they were serious about selling.

iu

Sentenza

This is the second time in the last few years that rumors about WB selling start doing the rounds.

Now the question would be... Are they STILL trying to sell the "gaming side" without including the IPs in the package?

WorldHero

We need this sale quickly. Also this messes up Injustice 3…again. The potential sale is why we got MK 1 so fast when the engine was actually a prototype for IJ3.

00_Zer0

FFS they need to just sell their classic Midway/Williams/Atari Games
stuff to Atari. If they lump all game studios and IP together and sell it to a AAA studio those classics will lay there and rot much like they have under WBs watch.

Barakov

WB is looking to sell off some games and/or divisions to prevent them from being broken up. Looks like all of their live GAAS bullshit they've pushed on studios and the negative sales because of it have had their impact.

If this is true, and MK is one of the ones looking to be sold, it would be great to see Ed Boon and John Tobias buy their franchise from WB and make the games the way that they deserve to be made, without all of the GAAS, woke, and gender bender characters.

It would also free up Ed and NRS to give us a TRUE MK Arcade Collection of the 1st 4 games. Complete speculation on my part here, but i think the reason why it's never happened until now is because WB doesn't want to pay royalties to the OG MK character actors for the arcade titles.

This is some delicious justice. Them being broken up would fantastic for several industries.

Fabieter

I hope no matter who's buying them will let them develop orginal stuff so that it doesn't come with the licensed stuff.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Their best selling game is a WB property so the only path I see is some closures (Rocksteady and Monolith), Netherealm divestment (IO Interactive style) and leaving some key IP studious like Avalanche inside the big WB.

jm89

The list of studios isnt great.

And alot of licensed IPs.

Considering WB are probably not in a strong negotiating position, whoever gets these studios should get it at a bargain.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
This has nothing to do with GaaS or Woke( how in the fuck in MK considered "woke" now?).

This has everything to do with WB being in a shit ton of debt to begin with before the acquisition. Discovery is now not bringing in as much money a they use to, and the whole WBD venture is tied to a gigantic debt anchor they're trying to get away from.

Top Bottom