• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney has canned "Gigantic"

Linkura

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/disney-shelves-jack-beanstalk-film-gigantic-1047482

Okay, "shelved," but it's canned.

Gigantic, Disney Animation’s original feature project that was to have been released in 2020, is being shelved.

The project was being developed as an updated take on the Jack and the Beanstalk fairy tale, in which Jack befriends a female giant.

Inside Out co-writer Meg LeFauve and Nathan Greno (Tangled) were directing the project while Frozen songwriters Robert Lopez and Kirsten Anderson-Lopez were to have written songs for the film.

But according to the studio, creative walls were being hit.

“It’s impossible to know when we begin a project how the creative process will unfold, and sometimes, no matter how much we love an idea or how much heart goes into it, we find that it just isn’t working,” said Walt Disney and Pixar Animation Studios president Ed Catmull. “With Gigantic, we’ve come to that point, and although it’s a difficult decision, we are ending active development for now. We are focusing our energies on another project that has been in the works, which we’ll be sharing more about soon, now set for Thanksgiving 2020."

Welp. It seems like they were working on this forever, and now it's just canned. Jesus.

That doesn't leave anything but Wreck-It Ralph 2 on the plate for Disney Animation Studios, right?

EDIT: Shit, Frozen 2 is only two years away?

One can only imagine the fan art that has now been forever consigned to the dust.

Just a reminder, but the giant in question was a "little" girl.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
This premise always sounded really strange, so maybe not too surprising.

What a shame. This sounded like it could have been really good too. 

What's even more strange is that coco is coming out in just a month and it's been completely off the radar (Or maybe I'm just out of the loop I dunno)

Disney has been "quietly marketing", though it may be a strategy of sorts. I'm curious how it will be received too.

I feel like I've been hearing about this one for like five years. It's a shame, but I feel this one was a long time coming. It's been delayed several times and I doubt there's much hype for "Jack and the Beanstalk, but Disney!"

It's been delayed several times and I doubt there's much hype for "Jack and the Beanstalk, but Disney!"

MOV_96642b36_b.jpg

And it's part of the animated canon, too!

This was the one I was looking forward to. A part of me always loved Disney's take on fairy tales. To put Jack and the Beanstalk up alongside all the others they've tackled gave me a smile. It was, like Rapunzel, one of those "famed" fairy tales that Disney had yet to tackle, alongside Little Red Riding Hood, Rumpelstiltskin, and the Princess and the Pea.

FoneBone

The movie getting pushed back two years (from November 2018 to November 2020) was already a bad sign. I think Disney's last film to publicly encounter those sorts of delays was The Good Dinosaur, and we know how that turned out.

Burbeting

Banned
The movie was delayed by two years last year. Considering animated films these days seem to have a 4 year dev cycle, this was already very alarming. Not too surprised it was cancelled, but now Disney has nothing but sequels coming for next 3-4 years.

That's a shame. I haven't been super crazy about Disney's recent output like everyone else, but I was looking forward to how they'd adapt this.

18-Volt

What? Noooo!

Why did they do that? As of now no original projects left to be in production. They have cancelled King of the Elves, Mort, Galactic and now Gigantic? For what? For "Wreck it Ralph 2: This is our Emoji Movie"? Come on Disney. You know very well that your OG movies make much more money than sequels. Plus you put effin lame internet references in you sequel.

Man, I was really anticipating for another glorious Lopez soundtrack.

This seemed like it was further along than other canceled movies like King of the Elves, so this is a surprise. But I suppose it isn't that big of a shock given the delays.

If they already had songs and such, I hope we get to see them.

What?!?!?!??!

This is an all-star lineup of director, producer, and musical-writers! I didnt even care that the Jack and the Beanstalk story has been done to death already. I really wanted to see how this turned out!!!!

I would gladly haven taken this movie instead of Wreck It Wralph 2.

Finaj

I believe that’s in the works.

It better be. Out of all the films Disney has made, Zootopia had enough of a fleshed-out world to justify a sequel. Heck, it doesn't even have to follow the original characters.

Oozer3993

I'm heartbroken. I've had concept art from this as the background on my last two laptops. I absolutely adore Tangled and love Inside Out, so I was ecstatic to hear about the writers joining forces on a movie. And a musical fairy tale at that! It's not completely dead yet. Frozen was shelved twice before finally coming out. Maybe the Lopez's will play some of the music they've written in some venue. Alan Menken did that for a song he wrote for an earlier version of Frozen. I hope this has been replaced by Dean Wellin's Space Race movie.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Sucks but not surprised. We hadn't heard anything about it, and the whole idea seemed odd. Plus it feels like the Jack and the Bean stalk idea has been mined.

They ride out Frozen and Ralph sequels. Pixar has a full slate. Marvel has a full slate. Star Wars still in it to win it even with Ep IX issues. Plus they are still doing live action versions of the classics. It's not like they don't have s full slate of movies coming.

Man, I guess the fact that it was delayed over 2 years was a big red flag, but I was honestly REALLY looking forward to seeing it. That first concept art looked so interesting. What a bummer. :(

What? Noooo!

Why did they do that? As of now no original projects left to be in production. They have cancelled King of the Elves, Mort, Galactic and now Gigantic? For what? For "Wreck it Ralph 2: This is our Emoji Movie"? Come on Disney. You know very well that your OG movies make much more money than sequels. Plus you put effin lame internet references in you sequel.

Man, I was really anticipating for another glorious Lopez soundtrack.

It's right in the OP. They will announce an original film that is already in development to replace the 2020 slot.

Shame, I at least liked the premise from what little was revealed.

Though I do have to say the film industry really is fascinating as a comparison to the game industry. Here's a film we've know was in the works for a while, with a release planned years in advance and it's been cancelled way before it gets anywhere near release. Compare this to something like Scalebound lol.

I look forward to seeing what takes its place. I at least loved Frozen and Wreck-It-Ralph so I'm looking forward to their sequels very much.

Top Bottom