• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity 3.0 |OT| Episode 3: The Playset Awakens

MattyG

Banned
I wonder if they'll ever do a Rebels playset after TFA. And I wonder what are they going to do next year now that all their major licenses have been introduced? Just more Disney and Marvel?

This game is surprisingly addictive. Just running around the Toy Box, building stuff. I wasn't expecting much but the game is actually pretty good. It's actually really relaxing relative to the action games and shooters I normally play.

Pretty cool. Both he and Spidey are fun to play with the web swinging, although wall crawling ain't the greatest at times.

If y'all don't have any flyers, you should rectify that immediately. Flying is done well and is a joy. Both Thor and Iron Man are good choices, if you want to track down a 2.0 starter set. Nova's another good choice, as is Falcon. I really like Baymax as well. My kids like Tinkerbell, but her prancing and odd attacks don't do much for me.

Have they announced what figures are going to be in the Marvel Battlegrounds playset? I'm tempted to get the Spidey/Nova pack but want to see what figures that comes with.

Effect

I didn't mean to sound too harsh. Sorry if I did.

IMO Wii U version seems fine outside of some initial meh load times.

That being said if you have access to a PS4 or Bone you'll probably get slightly better performance and 1080p vs 720p I'd imagine.

I personally haven't seen any game breaking issues framerate wise on the Wii U so far though. I'll report back after for play time though.

No problem.

Don't have access to a PS4 or XBO so Wii U is the only option here which is why I was asking.

With the digital version that comes with a play set or that still has to be bought separately with a figure right? The digital version is just the toy box for the most part right?

This game is surprisingly addictive. Just running around the Toy Box, building stuff. I wasn't expecting much but the game is actually pretty good. It's actually really relaxing relative to the action games and shooters I normally play.

Have they announced what figures are going to be in the Marvel Battlegrounds playset? I'm tempted to get the Spidey/Nova pack but want to see what figures that comes with.

They haven't said. All we know is that you can use any Marvel character in the playset. The expected release is next spring so maybe a tie-in with Civil War... which could be many things considering the roster. Black Panther and Doctor Strange are next year's new comers for the MCU so it could be those two. I'm really hoping for Ant-man, though. In any case, Spidey and Nova are two of my favorites in Infinity.

Also, it's nice to hear you're enjoying the toy box. People have always been kind of down on it here.

fernoca

No problem.

Don't have access to a PS4 or XBO so Wii U is the only option here which is why I was asking.

With the digital version that comes with a play set or that still has to be bought separately with a figure right? The digital version is just the toy box for the most part right?
Yep, just the Toy Box.

If you thought they were kinda fun but overall were disappointed, I'd probably suggest to give it one more chance.

That's pretty much me, I stomached more of 2.0 than I think it deserved mainly because I'm a fan of the source material. 3.0, by numerous accounts, is drastically improved and Star Wars being my favorite movie franchise certainly doesn't hurt either.

Is there any word on future characters? The Emperor is a no-brainer, and I'm hoping we get a badass Grevious figure as well as Mace.

Rootbeer

Banned
Why is Palpatine a no-brainer? There is no indication of that happening from what I've seen.

I don't think there are too many figures left to reveal. If you look at the number of figures from past games we are getting close to knowing all of them.

Kylo Ren
Poe Dameron (maybe?)
maybe Arlo from The Last Dinosaur to go with Spot

glaurung

Palpatine? He is not perceived as a playable character in any form. Darth Maul or his reincarnation might be since he was in the cartoon series.

I expect more characters from the new animated series. And maybe Mace Windu at some point in the future.

New trilogy characters are a no-brainer, but those won't be announced or released before the movies are out.

curb

Banned
I wonder if they'll ever do a Rebels playset after TFA. And I wonder what are they going to do next year now that all their major licenses have been introduced? Just more Disney and Marvel?

I don't think they will do a full playset for Rebels since they've used all their main characters except for Hera already. I'm sure people will say you could put in Hera and Chopper but Chop doesn't seem like he has enough potential for a full skill tree.

I expect more characters from the new animated series. And maybe Mace Windu at some point in the future.

I personally doubt we'll see any more Rebels figures. Hera is already in the game as a townsperson character. I don't think there's really anyone left except maybe the new Inquisitors but I doubt they'd "waste" a figure on that when there are so many other established characters available from the films and Clone Wars.

Stanng243

This game is so much better compared to 2.0. I've had so much fun just hitting the toybox, haven't even hit the playsets yet.

graffix13

Is there any word on future characters? The Emperor is a no-brainer, and I'm hoping we get a badass Grevious figure as well as Mace.

Grevious would be good. I also want a Jango Fett and a Mace Windu. If I am being picky then Captain Rex from Clone Wars too, please.

Since I've only been playing with Anakin, I was curious....do all the Jedi characters have different skill trees unique to their character? Obviously I hope the answer is 'yes' as that will keep me motivated to keep playing different characters (and continue to drain my wallet).

Also...I am just playing single player at the moment, but a friend is coming over this weekend and we're going to dive into this co op. Can I create a separate save file for our progress in Twilight of the Republic, instead of jumping into my single player progress? I am pretty sure I saw an option for "new game" when you start, I just want to be sure it doesn't overwrite my solo game.

curb

Banned
Grevious would be good. I also want a Jango Fett and a Mace Windu. If I am being picky then Captain Rex from Clone Wars too, please.

Since I've only been playing with Anakin, I was curious....do all the Jedi characters have different skill trees unique to their character? Obviously I hope the answer is 'yes' as that will keep me motivated to keep playing different characters (and continue to drain my wallet).

I think a Grievous is coming. I'm personally hoping for a Cad Bane. I personally doubt a Jango Fett is coming though but maybe a power disc to alter Boba's appearance.

I've only been playing as Ahsoka but I believe all the Jedi have unique trees. I think there's a lot of overlap with some skill just placed differently in the trees but there are some unique skills for each.

graffix13

I think a Grievous is coming. I'm personally hoping for a Cad Bane. I personally doubt a Jango Fett is coming though but maybe a power disc to alter Boba's appearance.

I've only been playing as Ahsoka but I believe all the Jedi have unique trees. I think there's a lot of overlap with some skill just placed differently in the trees but there are some unique skills for each.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Cad! Yes, would love to have him. And you're probably right about Jango....since they already have Boba it would be redundant.

curb

Banned
I really wonder how many Force Awakens figures there will be. There are nine Star Wars slots on the Comic-Con board and we know that Finn and Rey are coming so that leaves seven. Two more prequel figures, two more original trilogy figure and three from TFA?

Poona

I totally skipped 2.0, but am now seeing some pretty good deals on the starter pack for it so it can be good to be get some characters who can fly (Thor and iron man).

If I do do that, can I use the compatible characters in 2.0 and 3.0 back and forth, and their upgrades will save and progress between the games? Or is it a case of once they've landed in 3.0 and then I take them backwards to 2.0 their progress on the skill tree needs to be erased so I can play with them there?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Darth Maul and Grevious are both already confirmed for new baddied that will be released as actual figures.

Why is Palpatine a no-brainer? There is no indication of that happening from what I've seen.

He's one of the most important figures in the entire series, the mastermind behind both the clone wars and the formation of the empire. Why wouldn't he be a no-brainer character??

Darth Maul or his reincarnation might be since he was in the cartoon series.

Maul is coming November 3rd, the movie version without the mechanical lower half.

91FYVlQ0evL._SY679_.jpg

I also want a Jango Fett and a Mace Windu.

Mace is possible, doubtful for Jango, too redundant with Boba I would think. Jango is more likely to be a power disk alternate skin for Boba if anything...

I really wonder how many Force Awakens figures there will be. There are nine Star Wars slots on the Comic-Con board and we know that Finn and Rey are coming so that leaves seven. Two more prequel figures, two more original trilogy figure and three from TFA?

I doubt TFA will get 5 figures, there are other more established characters that would likely be bigger sellers. If I had to guess the remaining 7:

Kylo Ren
Grevious
Cade Bane
Mace Windu
Padme
Ventress
Palpatine

Characters like Lando, Qui Gon and the droids are more likely to be power disc help characters.

d1rtn4p

Hey All,

Another dumb question. Is the saga edition a good deal if I plan to get all the content at some point anyway? The reason I ask is I already have a base from 2.0, so I was thinking of picking it up digitally on PSN. But if it's going to cost me more than the saga edition in the end, I might just pick that up...

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
Is anyone getting a Sonic 3 Carnival Nights vibe from the 2D sections of the Inside Out playset? A fair-like skyline in the background, the circle thingies rotating, the colorful canons, the balloons?

Amneisac

Hey All,

Another dumb question. Is the saga edition a good deal if I plan to get all the content at some point anyway? The reason I ask is I already have a base from 2.0, so I was thinking of picking it up digitally on PSN. But if it's going to cost me more than the saga edition in the end, I might just pick that up...

From what I can tell doing the math and from what others have said, it's basically the exact same price as buying all the pieces separately at retail, you just get stuff now that won't be available until a little while later.

I decided against it and I'll hope that I can get some kind of deal at TRU or something down the line and get the additional content cheaper.

d1rtn4p

From what I can tell doing the math and from what others have said, it's basically the exact same price as buying all the pieces separately at retail, you just get stuff now that won't be available until a little while later.

I decided against it and I'll hope that I can get some kind of deal at TRU or something down the line and get the additional content cheaper.

Thanks!

curb

Banned
I doubt TFA will get 5 figures, there are other more established characters that would likely be bigger sellers. If I had to guess the remaining 7:

Kylo Ren
Grevious
Cade Bane
Mace Windu
Padme
Ventress
Palpatine

Characters like Lando, Qui Gon and the droids are more likely to be power disc help characters.

I'm certain they're going to want to capitalize on the movie hype. I bet at least four TFA figures in total with Kylo, Poe and Phasma being candidates.

There better be a Ventress.

Is it more likely we'd get separate Force Awakens Luke/Leia/Han figures or that they'd be 'costumes' for the OT ones?

Same goes for Prequel Obi Wan vs OT Obi Wan I guess.

curb

Banned
Is it more likely we'd get separate Force Awakens Luke/Leia/Han figures or that they'd be 'costumes' for the OT ones?

Same goes for Prequel Obi Wan vs OT Obi Wan I guess.

I think you're more likely to see power discs that change the costumes if anything.

Hex

Banned
You will get separate Luke with the light up version, same with Anakin and Ashoka but not sure about TFA versions. Power discs is my guess too

curb

Banned
You will get separate Luke with the light up version, same with Anakin and Ashoka but not sure about TFA versions. Power discs is my guess too

Ahsoka isn't on the list of light up figures (which makes me sad).

curb

Banned
Blah me too, she would be amazing

You can tell they're very cautious with their non-Disney female characters. They're often only bundled with playsets. The standalone Sabine is actually a big surprise for me. I'm glad there's some representation there though. Apparently their audience is 30% female.

Dammit! Where's my Captain Marvel?

You can tell they're very cautious with their non-Disney female characters. They're often only bundled with playsets. The standalone Sabine is actually a big surprise for me. I'm glad there's some representation there though. Apparently their audience is 30% female.

Dammit! Where's my Captain Marvel?

I'd expect a Captain Marvel figure around when her movie's coming out, whatever version we're on by then.

Here's a good question actually. What will Infinity 4.0 be themed around? Just new content for everything? There's no more huge pillars for them to add.

I'm certain they're going to want to capitalize on the movie hype. I bet at least four TFA figures in total with Kylo, Poe and Phasma being candidates.

Phasma is possible, though I personally think she'll be a power up help character. The two lead characters are clear choices, and Ren is getting a lot of prerelease hype, but I personally think they will concentrate on more characters that are well-established in the mythos. I'm just thinking of characters which are likely to be the big sellers, and since there seems a bigger focus on the PT/clone wars era( considering the demographics they're reaching out to), I'm thinking a character like Ventress is a surer bet than Phasma.

Ahsoka isn't on the list of light up figures (which makes me sad).

Too bad Grevious and Maul aren't on the list either. Grevious in particular with 4 lightsabers lit up would look cool as hell.

Here's a good question actually. What will Infinity 4.0 be themed around? Just new content for everything? There's no more huge pillars for them to add.

I read somewhere that 3.0 is going to be the last standalone release, and that going forward will just be more playsets. Don't know if that's true or not, but they're blowing their biggest wad with Marvel and Star Wars. In terms of revenue-generating IPs, it doesn't get bigger than that right now. Maybe we'll get an Indy set, and I'd like Aladdin and Lion King sets as well.

Ludist210

Picked up the digital version on Wii U and I'm up to eight figures already, probably picking up 2-3 more at lunch. Man I have a problem...

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Hit up Walmart and Target and grabbed Kanan and Sabine this morning along with a Stitch and Hulk. Matched the 2 for 20 Target deal at Walmart. Had to get the Target guy to fetch a Sabine from the back because apparently everyone at that store thought the Infinity stuff was part of the Star Wars toy launch on Friday (despite their ad saying 'available 8am Aug. 30th'...). So if your Target is conspicuously absent the Star Wars stuff in their Infinity section, definitely ask.

I don't know that I want all the Rebels characters, but since I have two already... Mrgrgr. Not a big fan of Ezra and Zeb's designs, though. If they had Hera I'd definitely go for her.

Gonna hit up Best Buy later, see if I can grab a Mulan. Looks great, and one of my favorite Disney movies. Wish there was a Shan Yu to go with her, such an imposing villain design and I think it would translate fantastically into Infinity figures' sweeping curves and squat, bulky designs.... I can just imagine the figure with his falcon fanned out, perched on his arm... Man, would be a standout for sure.

I definitely think I'll be nabbing all the Inside Out characters down the line, their Infinity sculpts are amaaaazing. Still need to get around to rounding out my Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy groups, though.

As far as other Star Wars characters I'm hoping to see, I really, really want them to do just a plain ol' Stormtrooper. I know it's a pretty nondescript character choice to play as and I can't imagine the skill tree, but it's such a damn iconic design. It'd be a big hole in the Star Wars OT Bad Guy Poster Boy lineup to not have an Infinity-styled Stormtrooper sitting next to the Infinity-styled Darth Vader and Boba Fett.

curb

Banned
I'm very impressed with the overall introduction to this game. I didn't really pay attention to that part of 2.0 but that intro with snippets from the playsets is so well done and then leading into the Hub introduction. Really top notch.

I put in about an hour into Twilight of the Republic last night and really enjoyed it. I think I made the right choice for my Star Wars game this fall.

Ludist210

Hit up Walmart and Target and grabbed Kanan and Sabine this morning along with a Stitch and Hulk. Matched the 2 for 20 Target deal at Walmart. Had to get the Target guy to fetch a Sabine from the back because apparently everyone at that store thought the Infinity stuff was part of the Star Wars toy launch on Friday (despite their ad saying 'available 8am Aug. 30th'...). So if your Target is conspicuously absent the Star Wars stuff in their Infinity section, definitely ask.
Good to know. I didn't see Sabine at all yesterday, but the rest of the Star Wars Infinity stuff was out.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Good to know. I didn't see Sabine at all yesterday, but the rest of the Star Wars Infinity stuff was out.
I'd say that's probably a case of them really selling out, then. I doubt they'd put out all the other Star Wars characters but think this one Star Wars character should stay in the back.

The first Target I went to was like that, they had plenty of Yoda and Obi-Wan but almost everything else was bare save the errant Inside Out character or Minnie Mouse. They'd clearly set the 3.0 section but it had gotten picked over, I asked about Sabine, they confirmed.

The store that thought they were part of the Friday SW launch just had a bunch of 1.0 and 2.0 figures on all the pegs covering the whole section, there wasn't a bare section with other Star Wars characters, or any errant 3.0 characters at all. It was rather obvious they had never put anything out to begin with.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING

Yeah, I dunno if they need a new theme/tent pole. They seem to be branding it as "STAR WARS" and "MARVEL" and "DISNEY", rather than one big melting pot of Disney stuff. See: The separate halls of heroes or the way they're boxing the expansion packs. They seem to want Disney Infinity to sort of encompass these three big pillars (with more to be added if they make/acquire them).

My guess is part of the angle on Disney Infinity isn't just to jump on the "toy game" craze, but the facilitate cross-promotional interactive entertainment for their major properties every year in a way that, say, a full Star Wars game for every movie each year could never sustain. I mean, Star Wars/Marvel/Generic Disney are brands they have a vested interested in capitalizing on annually. A Star Wars film ever year? Put some of those new characters in this year's DisInf and you have a built-in licensed game for a fraction of the cost. A new Marvel film or two? Do the same. What's this year's Pixar/Princess film? With some plastic figures and a level or two you can capitalize on these IPs with minimal risk (once the DisInf install base is big enough, anyways), because even if, say, The Long Ranger totally bombs people still want Frozen figures and Iron Mans.

Hey guys, I'm sorry if is a tired question, but I've read that Darth Maul unlocks for play after you beat him... So then what is the figure for.

Disclaimer: I have no idea how this game works beyond level packs giving you new story missions. How do older figures factor in? What makes each iteration a 2.0, 3.0 etc?

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Disney Infinity 4.0: Disney Afternoon

Comes with Scrooge McDuck, Goliath from Gargoyles, and Chip in his Rescue Rangers outfit

In dreams, iiiiiiinnnnnnn dreeeeeaaaaaams

curb

Banned
Hey guys, I'm sorry if is a tired question, but I've read that Darth Maul unlocks for play after you beat him... So then what is the figure for.

Disclaimer: I have no idea how this game works beyond level packs giving you new story missions. How do older figures factor in? What makes each iteration a 2.0, 3.0 etc?

You unlock the ability to play as other Star Wars characters by finding their character coin. You still need to figure though.

You unlock the ability to play as other Star Wars characters by finding their character coin. You still need to figure though.
So why collect coins to begin with?

What is there to do for these characters? Can I play through say a Toy Story level pack as Yoda or is it just the free play stuff? What kinds of activities can you do?

I'm sorry, I'm really interested but I have no idea what I'm getting into.

curb

Banned
So why collect coins to begin with?

The coins are just a game structure thing. I think the idea is that certain characters belong in the playset so making you collect a coin first indicates that you're doing something special with a character that doesn't belong in the main hero role whether that be playing as a villain or as someone from a different era.

Top Bottom