• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you associate certain arcade games with certain places?

TheGrue

Was thinking back on arcade games as I was out for a run and realized that I associate specific arcade games with certain places. I grew up in the New Orleans area, so some of the names of these places might be remembered by those from that area and some of the places aren't around anymore, so if you're not in your 40s, like me, you might have missed them. Anyway, here is a list of games and why I associate them with a particular place. Would love to hear if others do this as well.

Joust and Time Saver - When I was in elementary school, the Time Saver (a convenience store) down the street from the house my parents were renting got a Joust machine. The reason it sticks out, is I remember riding my bike to the store, seeing the game for the first time and playing. At the part where the ground goes away and reveals the lava, some jerk kid who wanted to play told me you needed to jump down there and you'd get a lot of points. Since it was my first time playing, I listened, lost my last ostrich, and was out of quarters.

Dragon's Lair and Putt-Putt Golf - The first time I ever laid eyes on Dragon's Lair was at the mini-golf place (was in Metairie). I loved mini golf, but also loved arcade games, so I split my time between both. Seeing those graphics back then was amazing. It was like playing a cartoon! They also got Space Ace there as well. Honorable mention to there for being associated with the sounds of Sinistar always yelling at me.

Jungle Hunt/Frogger/Burger Time and Skate Country - My parents would drop me and my some friends off at Skate Country, which was a rollerskating rink. I really didn't enjoy skating at all, so I'd just spend all my time in the arcade. These three games, in particular, were my favorites and I would always play them there.

Space Invaders and K-Mart - At the back of this K-Mart, they had a little arcade there. There was a Space Invaders machine there that if you hit the metal part where the coin mechanism was, it would give you a credit. So, when mom went shopping, I went back there and played Space Invaders for free. Great way to pass the time and probably my first criminal act!

Cyberball and LSU's Student Union - Played lots of stuff there (including lots of Mortal Kombat and NBA Jam, but the game that always got most of my attention was Cyberball. Combining robots and football? I'm in.

Journey (the old game with the rock band in it) and Lakeside Mall - Loved this band as a kid and so loved playing the game. The mall there had lots of games, but I think it's the only place I ever played the game and so they get associated.

I could probably go on and on, but will cut it short there. Look forward to hearing your stories.

Silky

Banned
Growing up in Chicago, there was this laundromat (Spin Cycle) that constantly have either a fighting game or a SEGA title. So I usually relatye general laundromats with fighting games.

I have yet to go to a laundromat that doesn't have a fighting game cabinet.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Virtua Fighter 1 was this shiny technical marvel sitting in the corner of my childhood 7-11.

Whenever I hear the iconic "coin insert/start" sounds (still used on new VF games), I taste Slurpee.

ascii42

The orthodontist we went to had Super Cobra. Only place I've ever played that game.

The Pizza Hut in the town I grew up in had Outrun and Galaga. I've played Galaga in many places, and went on to buy an Outrun machine, but I'll always think of playing them at Pizza Hut.

The park I stayed at after school had a Cruisin' USA and an Arkanoid. At one point it also had a PlayChoice 10. Played a lot of Punchout on that thing.

7-11 had Mortal Kombat II, and as a kid I remember seeing groups of dudes gathered around that machine.

And I'll always associate DDR with the GIANT arcade I walked into in Japan. They had lines of machines, most if not all of the mixes. Crazy stuff.

TheGrue

The orthodontist we went to had Super Cobra. Only place I've ever played that game.

The Pizza Hut in the town I grew up in had Outrun and Galaga. I've played Galaga in many places, and went on to buy an Outrun machine, but I'll always think of playing them at Pizza Hut.

The park I stayed at after school had a Cruisin' USA and an Arkanoid. At one point it also had a PlayChoice 10. Played a lot of Punchout on that thing.

Wish my orthodontist had video games. Speaking of Pizza Hut, for a while there was an "X's and O's" Atari Football game I always played there.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
We had this place called Boardwalk in Aurora,CO back in the day! First arcade in Aurora that used currency cards instead of tokens (Soooo futuristic at the time) and it was the first place I played Mortal Kombat and Killer instinct. I will always remember calling next and watching dudes do fatalities for the first time!

Another place was Chuck E Cheese and Pizza Hut, which I instantly think of TMNT, The Simpsons, X-men and AVENGERS!

So many good memories!

When I think of Fatal Fury (Special, especially) and World Heroes, it reminds me of the arcades down in Juarez Mexico ( I live across the border in Texas). My cousin would always take me and my brother to play there. We were more interested in Street Fighter II at that time, but it either wasn't there, was occupied, or it had (what we thought was) a bootleg version of the game (we found out years later that it was Street Fighter II Rainbow edition). Man, I miss those days.

TMNT 2 and the Robocop arcade game remind me of Peter Piper Pizza. We'd go there once a month to eat pizza and play games.

hoserx

We used to go to a local movie theatre every weekend to play Revolution X. I went back a few weeks ago, same cabinet, still at the theatre........ my score once highest is now 7th. lol.

therealPeterman

Neo Member
Street Fighter 2 CE will forever be linked to Pizza Hut. Had great times in my teenage years playing it there. Sadly, it was pulled after about three weeks because customers thought the game was cursing.

old

Simpsons arcade and x-men arcade games -- Pizza Hut.

Cruising USA and San Francisco Rush --bowling alleys

I used to play Tron (as a much smaller naked blue version of myself) in some random guy's garage near the neighborhood malt shop (which is now a Sushi place). All the local kids (and some adults) went there in those days, though we had a much bigger arcade downtown with all the newer stuff. I think its a strip club now.

Mrs. Pacman will always remind me of the neighborhood pizza place. It was one of those two player sit down table sized machines. Would always get some games in with my brothers while waiting for the pies to cook. Randomly - I also remember this pizza shop because I watched the giant front windows of the place explode out into the sidewalk and street during the Loma Prieta quake of '89. Just as a church steeple crashed down behind the same shop.

Memories.

Top Bottom