• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think the PS5 will exceed the PS4's lifetime sales?

Do you think the PS5 will exceed the PS4's lifetime sales?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Robb

Gold Member
With its current trajectory I’m going to guess, yes. I’m personally kind of baffled that it has managed to keep up with Ps4 given the software that’s available.

I can only see things getting better with a Ps5 Pro release, more high profile games like GTA6 etc. all while Xbox gets more irrelevant in terms of competition.

It’s a complete mystery, they haven’t done any permanent price cut but increased the price in all markets except the US.

By this point in time back in 2017, COD was already exclusive to current consoles (PS4/Xbone), and the system had way more current gen first and 2nd party games.

At this point in the PS5 life, only 5 games are current console first party games, actually 4 because Destruction All Stars sucks (Niche Man 2, Helldivers 2, Returnal and R&C: Rift Apart)

If GTAVI is at least 50% as good as GTAV, it will move a lot of consoles, it will be 12 years without a new GTA game next year, a lot of people are just downplaying the impact it will have.

As for the Switch 2, it’s mostly Nintendo enthusiasts that think it will have some kind of impact on the PS5.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
We know that's not the case though, the Switch was selling at a record breaking pace exceeding any other console from launch. It sold 14 million in its first year on the market, and it did so without impacting the PS4.

I think people treat Nintendo and PlayStation devices as complementary, they own one with the other, not one instead of the other.
I don't think you have enough data to show that Switch did not impact PS4. If Switch2 were to have an impact on PS5 late in the cycle it could be because parents (or other gift givers) who have kids getting to the age of wanting a system choose Nintendo over Sony. Any time there is a reasonable choice, some are going to choose A while others choose B. What data do you have to prove that this didn't happen when PS4 was A and Switch was B? Sales not changing significantly is not proof. Heck Switch could have caused more buzz about games and actually increased PS4 sales above where they would have been without it. It is very hard to prove anything because you can't run an experiment to get data in the case where the Switch didn't exist.

It really depends. Unfortunately for PS4, it was sacrificed for the benefit of PS5. No price cut after PS5 launched, and with the global shutdowns, all resources were pumped into getting out more PS5s. If we don't have a repeat of that, PS5 should easily outsell PS4 by at least a few million units.

PS5 Pro and GTA6 should also help sales, as well as a price cut, even if it's just $50-$75.

Yes for one reason - GTA VI along with the marketing and bundles Sony will do with Rockstar around its release. I’m expecting PS5 to finish on around 125 million units unless they do a super shrunk version around late 2026 like the DVD sized PS2 and are also able to sell it for $249 around the launch of TLOU III. Then PS2 ball park numbers becomes possible.

PeteBull

Gold Member
EZ yes, for 2 obvious reasons- ps5pr0 launching this november, and GTA6 launching in a year, which pr0 will be strongest platform to play on, dunno how many additional ps5/pr0 units gta6 gonna sell but 20m over lifetime is an ez bet :)

Think of it this way- xbox series barely selling as is, in a year it will only gonna get worse, and ppl will wanna play gta6 on the best platform avaiable(pc version wont come until few years after), so where does most of those initial 50-60m gta6 copies gonna be sold? Obviously on playstation 5/pr0.

Dr_Ifto

I think 125m is the ceiling without some complete bangers on the horizon. I think the momentum of covid will start curtailing the sales trajectory by the end of the year. They need to announce the heavy hitters for the next 18 months by October/November.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
It is solidly the defacto console, so I can see it exceeding the PS4 on the back of fortnite, CoD, Roblox, Sports titles, GTA etc

With Xbox fading away it would not be a good sign if the PS5 can’t beat the PS4. They would need a $100 drop at some point though, so I hope that will be possible.

Top Bottom