• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does anyone here own the Pelican PL-957 Switch Box?

manji

If you're talking about the 8-port component/S-video box (that's bigger than most DVD players), then yeah, I have one (as does a friend).

It's actually pretty damn nice..self-powered, dual audio outs, mini-Hub w/ 3 broadband adapter inputs (one per system)...only think I'm really missing at this point is a remote for the damn thing.

Haven't noticed any picture problems, and I'm running it directly into a 26" Samsung 16x9 HDTV.

Hope this helps...

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
the optical out switching is problematic for me, the playstation 2 one stopped working completely... other than that, great switcher.

I'd reccomend the one that Dacocaobrova liked in that other thread about HD switch boxes. Marty Chinn reccomended it as well. Has optical to coaxil conversion as well I believe.

I just got one, and I think it'll be a good fit because I have a mix of componenet and S-video running and I do not have a HD-TV. I find it very convenient to have everything on one box. I trust what DCB and others recommended in that thread, but until I get a HD, this will do fine.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
DaCoca, are you aware of any switchboxes of similar quality to the ones discussed in that thread that offer more than four inputs? Four really just isn't enough for me...

I got one and stopped to use it after some picture problems. I didn't hear anything about anybody, but for some reason I get tiny horizontal white lines when I'm turning it on. I changed my component cables for a 3", plugged it in a different electric outlet but no luck. It also happened with the Mad Catz switcher. Anyone ever had this problem?

Minotauro said:
DaCoca, are you aware of any switchboxes of similar quality to the ones discussed in that thread that offer more than four inputs? Four really just isn't enough for me...

How many do you need? Kinda curious how you need more than four. I can think of three game systems, one dvd player and one hdtv receiver at best, which would mean five. Is that the case?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Marty Chinn said:
How many do you need? Kinda curious how you need more than four. I can think of three game systems, one dvd player and one hdtv receiver at best, which would mean five. Is that the case?

Well, I'd like to have six available...

PS2, Gamecube, XBOX, Dreamcast, PC, and DVD player.

Currently, I only have three consoles attached...but I would like to add the others eventually. That makes six. :p

I don't watch any television, but if I did, I suppose that would make seven.

Wait why are you putting the Dreamcast through component? What TV do you have too cuz you should be using DVI or something for your PC instead of component. The way my setup is, I have the four inputs on my switchbox, two inputs on my receiver, and two inputs on my TV. I have three game systems, and a DVD player. All three game systems are piped to the box, which then goes directly to the TV. The DVD player goes directly to the TV as well. I have the option of adding two more component devices, one to the switch and the other by switching to the receiver. However, if I add anything, it'll probably be DVI based. Also if you're hooking a PC up, you should be using that as your DVD player instead of a DVD player.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Marty Chinn said:
Wait why are you putting the Dreamcast through component? What TV do you have too cuz you should be using DVI or something for your PC instead of component. The way my setup is, I have the four inputs on my switchbox, two inputs on my receiver, and two inputs on my TV. I have three game systems, and a DVD player. All three game systems are piped to the box, which then goes directly to the TV. The DVD player goes directly to the TV as well. I have the option of adding two more component devices, one to the switch and the other by switching to the receiver. However, if I add anything, it'll probably be DVI based. Also if you're hooking a PC up, you should be using that as your DVD player instead of a DVD player.

Yeah, I suppose you're right...

The PC can output 1080i, so that would be a nice DVD solution...

I'm afraid that I do not have a DVI input. My TV isn't too terribly large right now as I don't have the space for anything else.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Marty Chinn said:

I'd like to have more than five. Right now, I have a GC, a modded XBox, a Japanese PS2, and a domestic PS2 plugged into this crappy four system Mad Catz one I got for $9. I also have a DVD player but it's plugged-in through my other component input. In the future, aside from the new consoles, I'd like to get another XBox that I can use entirely for Live. If I go with the four-input Audio Authority one, I guess I could always swap the cables for the doubled systems but that might become annoying.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Get a component switching receiver (with ample bandwidth) and use it in conjunction w/ the switcher...

I ended up buying the Pelican one with the 8 inputs. It works great for 480p stuff like Xbox and Gamecube. I don't notice a change running through the box as opposed to running right into the TV.

Well worth the cheap price for me. When next Gen offers up 1080i/p games I'll most likely have to upgrade the switcher.

Top Bottom