• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does DS have games that *don't* use the stylus?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is it just me, or does it seem like almost everything is trying to shoe in the Stylus/touchscreen usage, even if it doesn't really fit?

Sure, it is innovative, but so are two screens, a microphone, and 3D graphics on a Nintendo handheld.

Its a bit like if eye toy was built into PS3, every game would make you wave your arms like a twat.

Seriously though, I like the idea, and some games look like they use the touch screen really well, but I'd like some normal games too please.

yes.

a) you pop in gba titles

b) there are a few stylusless games - I think Goemon is one of those; you use you fingers instead. The DS controls are also configurable to your preference.

Spiderman 2 is a game that utilises the touchscreen and the 2 screens in a very effective way and requires no stylus. Its builds upon and enhances traditional forms of gameplay (i.e. dpad with buttons)

aoi tsuki

The stylus is basically the same as using your finger, it just allows for more precise touchscreen access, which is pretty essential in some games.

Mario 64 DS and RR DS aside, i can't think of any games offhand that don't use the touchscreen exclusively as a part of gameplay. It's pretty much expected that Nintendo and third parties would want to drive the touchscreen/dual screen concept home and frankly, i expect most games to use both screens in some capacity.

Kon Tiki

Banned
mrklaw said:
Is it just me, or does it seem like almost everything is trying to shoe in the Stylus/touchscreen usage, even if it doesn't really fit?
I am sure the Princess Twat game does not use the touchscreen.

Jonnyram

mrklaw said:
I don't know about "shoe in" but there are a lot of games that work without the stylus, offering an alternative control system using the stylus should you feel like using it. Stuff like Zoo Keeper, Mr.Driller, Advance Wars spring to mind.

Fifty

I think Mr Driller uses the touch screen as an extension of the above screen for gameplay purposes(2x the viewing area) and not for pressure sensitive functions....I think ;p

Jonnyram

Fifty said:
I think Mr Driller uses the touch screen as an extension of the above screen for gameplay purposes(2x the viewing area) and not for pressure sensitive functions....I think ;p
You can use the stylus to move Susumu and break the blocks actually, and if you get good at it, it's quicker than using the d-pad because you only have to tap once to break blocks, rather than move then tap.

Well if you wanna reach, you can see New Super Mario Bros. But that's so early in development that it's to be expected. Mario Kart also hardly seems to use it. I think a homing shell is probably all we're going to see used for it, but coming from Nintendo you never know.

But majority of games offer the touch screen as optional. The only ones that require it, seem to use it in a justified manner.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
OK, there are a couple. Mr. Driller seems the most obivously 'classic' approach.

So given that touchscreen seems to be everything, what are peoples' thoughts about it?

I like the concept, and think that it can bring some good new gameplay ideas. But thinking about someone owning only one handheld (most normal people will only have one), I can't help thinking that this may actually restrict the range of games available for consumers.

Rahul

The optimal design methodology for DS games would allow gamers to do whatever they wanted, stylus/no stylus/finger/voice recognition/etc. This could really raise accessibility levels for the platform (and gaming as a whole, perhaps, since this is one of Nintendo's ultimate goals at this point).

I think that once gamers start playing a lot with the new setup (stylus/finger), they'll start getting used to its added value and there probably won't be much reason to go back to the d-pad. Look at the keyboard/mouse setup on PCs: I use a tablet and now and have never touched my mouse since (except for some games that go haywire with tablet control), and I've gotten so efficient with how I navigate Windows and in-game menus that I can do either 100% keyboard or 100% tablet depending on my preference at the time. That is true accessiblity, and what Nintendo would love to see implemented on game consoles.

mrklaw said:

Sure, it is innovative, but so are two screens, a microphone, and 3D graphics on a Nintendo handheld.

Its a bit like if eye toy was built into PS3, every game would make you wave your arms like a twat.

Seriously though, I like the idea, and some games look like they use the touch screen really well, but I'd like some normal games too please.

Asphalt GT is one of those tittles.

It's fuckin great game. WAY better looking than that lame-o RR DS.

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
Scalemail Ted said:
Spiderman 2 is a game that utilises the touchscreen and the 2 screens in a very effective way and requires no stylus. Its builds upon and enhances traditional forms of gameplay (i.e. dpad with buttons)
I played Spider-Man 2 and thought it was shit. At the conference in Seattle, Reggie kept banging on about how innovative it was. How exactly is it? You tap the screen with your finger to change fighting style and pick options. Wow, genius...

pilonv1

aoi tsuki said:
The stylus is basically the same as using your finger, it just allows for more precise touchscreen access, which is pretty essential in some games.

Cue Drinky Crow in 3...2...1...

Rahul

Folder said:
I played Spider-Man 2 and thought it was shit. At the conference in Seattle, Reggie kept banging on about how innovative it was. How exactly is it? You tap the screen with your finger to change fighting style and pick options. Wow, genius...

This spurs contemplation of whether "innovative" need mean "revolutionary". I think Nintendo has accidentally crafted this association, causing a lot of people to either undervalue basic functional innovation or overexaggerate things like DS' new features.

Spiderman 2 is innovative, because it's innovating in the area of easy, accessible control by providing direct access to a wide variety of options on the touchscreen. This removes the need to scroll through a list using a button (Metal Gear Solid could really benefit from this, for example). Is it revolutionary? Probably not. Is it useful? Sure.

Top Bottom