• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Konga hits 9/27 (this tuesday)

olimario

Banned
DONKEY KONGA
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/244024.asp
$49.99 w/Kongas

I'm so excited that Donkey Konga will finally hit here in the states. When it was first revealed everyone was so very skeptical, but it seems a majority have warmed to it.

I've been to the local Gamestop several times just to give their Konga's some more action. The game is incredibly fun and should prove to be more fun once I have some friends to play with.

Just a side note... I talked to my local Game Crazy manager and he said that Donkey Konga was the most played game at a recent Game Crazy convention in Las Vegas.
He also mentioned that Nintendo handed out Donkey Konga shot glasses to everyone who played. I find that amusing that Nintendo is already treating it as a drinking game.

Donkey Konga
Theme Song
Diddy's Lullaby
Bingo
Campfire Melody
Pokemon Theme Song
Kirby: Richt Back at Ya!
We Will Rock You
Wild Thing
I Think I love You
Louie Louie
Shining Star
All the Small Things
Rock this Town
You Can't Hurry Love
Right Here, Right Now
Dancing in the Street
Rock Lobster
Stupid Cupid
The Impression That I Get
What I Like About You
Whip it
Busy Child
Para Los Rumberos
Sing Sing Sing
Oye Come Va
On the Road Again
Hansurian Dance in G Minor
Turkish March
DK Rap
The legend of Zelda theme Song
Mario bros theme Song

THIS TUESDAY I'M GOING TO FEEL THE BEAT!
dkonga6.jpg

IJoel

Aww shit, another game I want.

CURSES!

This is a must buy for me though. So some other game will have to suffer.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It really does seem like a fun game. However, I'd have to hear the music selection first (I don't recognize many of those songs). $49.99 is a great price considering that it includes the kongas...

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I'll probably pick this up when I take part in the TRU 3-4-2 deal along with Pikmin 2, Paper Mario 2, Megaman X Command Mission, and whatever else strikes my fancy.

Can't wait.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
JC10001 said:
I'll probably pick this up when I take part in the TRU 3-4-2 deal along with Pikmin 2, Paper Mario 2, Megaman X Command Mission, and whatever else strikes my fancy.

Can't wait.

Is this deal official yet?

Vlad

dark10x said:
It really does seem like a fun game. However, I'd have to hear the music selection first (I don't recognize many of those songs). $49.99 is a great price considering that it includes the kongas...

I finally downloaded some gameplay videos the other day, and the two songs I heard from them were a bunch of kids singing "row, row, row your boat", and a version of the B-52's "Rock Lobster" that sounded like it was being done by a really bad cover band.

Are any of the songs in there by the original artists, or are they all covers?

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
atomsk said:
nope.

at least, my managers havent said a damn word about it.

so don't count on it

My director and I were talking about the buy 2 get 1 free DVD thing that starts Sunday, and I dropped the rumor of the similar yearly game deal. They said it is coming, but refused to say when. Take that with what you will....

olimario

Banned
IGN gave it an 8.5
I expect an 8.0 from Gamespot.

I can't wait for this. As much as my girlfriend and I love Katamari, we want to play this more.

olimario

Banned
Great Wasabi Man said:
9/27 = Monday

I played this at TRU, definatly getting it with B-day money.

Sure enough, it is a monday.
Gamestore guy said the 27th, this tuesday and I didnt bother to fact check. How funny.

Alcibiades

Sp3eD said:
My director and I were talking about the buy 2 get 1 free DVD thing that starts Sunday, and I dropped the rumor of the similar yearly game deal. They said it is coming, but refused to say when. Take that with what you will....
what?!

can you elaborate on the buy 2 get one free DVD thing...

Soul4ger

Just got mine. Comes in a relatively nice box, with three different languages on the back. Looking forward to trying out the full game, I've played the demo to death.

Bog

Junior Ace
Got it after work. I've just been playing the MMBT song, the Pokemon theme and "It's Like Wow" over and over.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Got mine tonight, which for reference is the 28th. The reason gamestop kept saying tuesday to you is because the 27th was essentially a ship date.

Like I said I picked mine up tonight, but I just got some unexpected news and I don't feel like opening it up and playing it. Probably wouldn't enjoy it this evening. =/

:(

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
seems like the length of a normal controller to me. Though they do have a place for the little plug in on the bottom of each konga. Haven't really figured out how to coil it into that yet :)

Vlad said:
I finally downloaded some gameplay videos the other day, and the two songs I heard from them were a bunch of kids singing "row, row, row your boat", and a version of the B-52's "Rock Lobster" that sounded like it was being done by a really bad cover band.

Are any of the songs in there by the original artists, or are they all covers?

All covers, and some of them are pretty bad. :(

The guy who covers Queen is actually pretty good though, he gets the right inflection in "We Will Rock You."

The guy who sings in "The Impression That I Get" doesn't have a low enough voice to really get that scratchy, throaty sound.

The woman who sings Dancing in the Street is pretty good.

Oh, and Whip It is incredibly fun to play. Probably the most fun song in the game.

M3wThr33

Banned
Rock Lobster is my favorite song. That, and the Pokemon one.

Don't worry about Kirby. It's too damn short for anyone to catch you playing it anyway.

I just finished playing some 2-player Jam Session with the wife. Awesome fun. For those unaware, Jam session is a simultaneous multiplayer mode (1-4 players) where each player is given their own unique line of notes to play. "We Will Rock You" is absolute genius in this mode. Case in point, I assume everyone knows the signature boom-boom-clap beat of the song? Well, in two player Jam session, one player will hit the bongos twice for the first two beats and the second player will clap for the third beat. Next series, player two will do the bongo hits and player one will clap. It also gets switched up further into the song with one player doing the first beat and the clap with the second player doing the middle beat. Like I said, pure genius. I can only imagine the madness arising from four player Jam session.

A small tip, when playing multiplayer, decrease the clap sensitivity of each bongo. The default setting will have you easily picking up each other's claps.

If you have a significant other, friends, and/or kids, you must pick up at least one extra set of bongos.

Oh, Jam session is also completely non-competitive, so it's great for playing with "lesser" gamers and the rhythmically challenged.

Shiggy

NoA says, that also these songs are included:

Yankee Doodle Dandy
Itsy Bitsy Spider
Happy Birthday

Are they or aren't they?

PROTIP: You don't need to clap (and shouldn't, for the harder, faster songs). Instead, just smack the sides of the bongos. Your mic will pick it up, but it won't pick up on your friends' bongo mics.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
DJ Demon J said:
PROTIP: You don't need to clap (and shouldn't, for the harder, faster songs). Instead, just smack the sides of the bongos. Your mic will pick it up, but it won't pick up on your friends' bongo mics.

I'm doing that, but the bongos slide around. I was used to the bongos being secured on the kiosk at work, but I have yet to think of a solution to stop my bongos from moving too much.

RevenantKioku said:
I'm doing that, but the bongos slide around. I was used to the bongos being secured on the kiosk at work, but I have yet to think of a solution to stop my bongos from moving too much.

They don't slide around at all for me. Are you greased up when you play? You don't need to smack the bongos very hard at all to get them to respond, a light tap is all that's needed. Try being less forceful on your hits and they won't move around as much.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
DJ Demon J said:
They don't slide around at all for me. Are you greased up when you play? You don't need to smack the bongos very hard at all to get them to respond, a light tap is all that's needed. Try being less forceful on your hits and they won't move around as much.

I don't know, I'm not beating the shit out of them, but they still move around a bit enough to be annoying.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Just tap them with 2 fingers. You don't even need to do a full hand slap.

Picked up the game today, was gonna plug it in for a couple of songs before going back to X-Men Legends.

Needless to say, I never got to XMen, and wound up playing this for a full 3 hours.

Much, MUCH better than I was led to believe.

B'z-chan

Banned
Bought two copies for me and my girl. Cant wait for Taiko now. But Donkey Konga looks cool I'll post my impressions tommorrow or something. But so far i think its all good and its selling really well so far.

Top Bottom