• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Konga hits 9/27 (this tuesday)

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I need a second set of bongos, when three or four people are playing taking turns gets trying. Two is enough to do competetive, and do some jame session stuff. I can see four player Jams beiong a lot of fun. But there is absolutely nothing I could ever do to justify owning more than two bongos.

The games is still fun, I have played it over several occasions, still can't clear some of the gorrilla level songs, got my GF hooked, my mom hooked, my mostly introverted step dad to play, and my GFs parents. everyone who has played it has loved it.

fun stuff.

AniHawk

I started playing Oye Como Va on Gorilla mode today and I was able to pass it. It was so weird because I thought I would have been missing so many of them, but I ended up getting a ton in a row, especially at the end.

Now I kinda know what it must've been like for that girl playing Taiko: Drum Master at E3.

impirius

Funny that you mentioned Oye Como Va on Gorilla... I just unlocked it today and immediately became obsessed with getting a full combo. It hasn't happened yet, but I at least got a gold rating. Tomorrow that combo will be MINE.

Oye Como Va on Gorilla has to be the the best song in the game. I hope the next US release has more like that.

AniHawk

impirius said:
Funny that you mentioned Oye Como Va on Gorilla... I just unlocked it today and immediately became obsessed with getting a full combo. It hasn't happened yet, but I at least got a gold rating. Tomorrow that combo will be MINE.

Oye Como Va on Gorilla has to be the the best song in the game. I hope the next US release has more like that.

Then the next challenge will be beating it on Gorilla JAM.

I just finished a solo Gorilla challenge session... It should be renamed MASOCHIST MODE. I'm sore and tired, but I enjoyed it.
dk_solochallenge_gorilla.jpg

Anyone else have scores? Humiliate me!

I got this for my b-day and while it is fun in short bursts I can't say the game is brilliant. There is a very very cheap feeling to the whole endevour.

LakeEarth

metsallica said:
I just finished a solo Gorilla challenge session... It should be renamed MASOCHIST MODE. I'm sore and tired, but I enjoyed it.

Damn, good job. I don't have the time to do that, prolly takes an hour and a half to do.

Btw, anyone completely disagree with the amount of "barrel" difficulty levels they give each song? On the Road Again is HARD, dammit, stop saying it's just moderate!

impirius

- I'm ONE FRIGGIN "BAD" away from comboing Oye Como Va. ARGH
- I just found out that Pokemon on Gorilla is the best song for coins... I can get over 950 easily
- Yes, On the Road Again is most definitely harder than the barrel rating

LakeEarth

It's like they didn't realize that hitting the bongo then clapping doesn't work well... to get a gold I had to use a controller (cause it doesn't have the bongo/clap problem the bongos have).

Oh man...Gorilla Mode is so unforgiving! Seriously, some of the easiest songs in Chimp Mode are now so tough...I just spent 20 minutes just to clear the Kirby: Right Back At Ya theme song in Gorilla Mode. So crazy.

I didn't know you could purchase other sound sets for your Kongas either...Until I just did. I bought a whole bunch of them to play around with. Still plenty of good fun coming from the Kongas. I'm really hoping we see a Donkey Konga Vol 2 in North America...That includes a demo of Jungle Beat!

Vlad

metsallica said:

Wow, that's pretty darn impressive. I just got through doing Gorilla Challenge and my score was a little over 6 million. Do you get more points the longer you keep a combo going?

It'd be nice if they gave you a breakdown of your Great/OK/Miss/Bad/Combo scores in Challenge mode like they did in the other modes. It'd be nice to see a grand total, as well as a breakdown by song, so I could see what I needed to work on.

Dude, Jam scares me. I'm lost without those colored circles. Do you play that mode often?

I'm not even going to bother playing any of the Jam songs. Even if I play through some songs a hundred times, I'm never going to get the entire thing memorized. Personally, the Jam mode just seems like something they threw in there to make it seem less like they half-assed their way through making the game. All that they had to do is change the menu, and not display the barrel icons.

Is there any word on if/when the sequel is coming to the US?

Deg

Banned
I'm on chimp now. Getting very hard. Good game. Mutliplayer is fine. Have 2 bongos doubt i need more.

LakeEarth

Vlad said:
I'm not even going to bother playing any of the Jam songs. Even if I play through some songs a hundred times, I'm never going to get the entire thing memorized. Personally, the Jam mode just seems like something they threw in there to make it seem less like they half-assed their way through making the game. All that they had to do is change the menu, and not display the barrel icons.

Trick is to hit both bongos at the same time. No matter if it's left, right or both, it'll give you the "hit" for it. Just memorize where the claps are (which is usually easy to tell, depending on the song).

Vlad

LakeEarth said:
Trick is to hit both bongos at the same time. No matter if it's left, right or both, it'll give you the "hit" for it. Just memorize where the claps are (which is usually easy to tell, depending on the song).

Do you get more coins for Jam mode? If so, I may focus on a few songs there just to buy the rest of the drum sounds and mini games. Otherwise, I still doubt I'll bother.

Prospero

I can do pretty well sight-reading on the medium difficulty mode, but gorilla mode destroys me--I've cleared Bingo and that's about it. I just dropped a few thousand coins to unlock some more songs, though, so I'll get some practice.

LakeEarth

Vlad said:
Do you get more coins for Jam mode? If so, I may focus on a few songs there just to buy the rest of the drum sounds and mini games. Otherwise, I still doubt I'll bother.

Nope. No bonus for doing the hardest thing in the game. Don't bother, just get all the golds in Gorilla mode... by then you'll have all the worthwhile things (mini-games, nintendo related drum sets, the electric drumset is NOT worth the cash)

Vlad

LakeEarth said:
Nope. No bonus for doing the hardest thing in the game. Don't bother, just get all the golds in Gorilla mode... by then you'll have all the worthwhile things (mini-games, nintendo related drum sets, the electric drumset is NOT worth the cash)

I've found that I can't stand any of the drum sets that I've purchased so far. None of them sound all that great in the context of any songs, and some of them are downright lousy. I still have a few left that I haven't purchased, but I'm less than impressed so far.

I'm pleasantly surprised by how fun the juggling mini-game is, though. I just wish there were an option to go until you drop X bananas instead of just having a time limit.

nubbe

Konga is awesome! Clapping is the best thing to happen gaming... ever...

Hungarian Dance #5 in G Minor is my favorite by far

christ i cannot do Para Los Rumberos at chimp level. I'm getting close and as long as i dont fuck up i do ok until the bit where its just left and rights in little groups. ARGH

AniHawk

MrPing1000 said:
christ i cannot do Para Los Rumberos at chimp level. I'm getting close and as long as i dont fuck up i do ok until the bit where its just left and rights in little groups. ARGH

You can't? But it's so easy!

LakeEarth

Try to "faze out" while playing. What I mean to stop concentrating on what you're hitting now, and try to watch what's coming up next earlier than you are now.

I'd suggest trying the Mario theme on Gorilla. It has those "little groups" in the song, but it's to the classic Mario theme which you're probably used to already. I found that doing that song 3-4 times really helped me with those little groups.

Vlad said:
I've found that I can't stand any of the drum sets that I've purchased so far. None of them sound all that great in the context of any songs, and some of them are downright lousy. I still have a few left that I haven't purchased, but I'm less than impressed so far.

I'm pleasantly surprised by how fun the juggling mini-game is, though. I just wish there were an option to go until you drop X bananas instead of just having a time limit.

Same here. The themed ones seem to be pretty awful. The electric drum set can't be bad ... can it? Its just drums

MrPing1000 said:

I had trouble with this initially. I'm very interested to see others talk of zoning out while playing... that seems to be exactly what I do now. My family don't know how I do it :p The advice given is pretty good... do hard versions of songs you know well and you'll get better. Getting to know the Para Los Rumberos song itself should help too... the beats are well placed for the most part.

Is the Locomotion on the US version? I LOVE THIS SONG on Gorilla.

*pan* *clap* *pan* *clap* *pan* *clap* x tempo 1,000,000

LakeEarth

radioheadrule83 said:
Same here. The themed ones seem to be pretty awful. The electric drum set can't be bad ... can it? Its just drums

It's nothing special. Not annoying, but you'll want to stick to Bongo anyways.

AniHawk

I still love Oye Como Va. I learned to zone out to the song, and I surprise myself at how good I got at the song so fast.

Still can't do On the Road Again on Gorilla though.

LakeEarth

AniHawk said:
Still can't do On the Road Again on Gorilla though.

Use the controller. It takes some getting used to, but it doesn't suffer the "clap doesn't register when you're hitting the bongo" problem.

Prospero

My next-door neighbor came over this evening after work, and I broke out the second set of drums I scored at Best Buy. The single-player game is fun, but oh Jesus does the multiplayer rock. Two-player Whip It is awesome.

Prospero

I bruised the hell out of my hands last night trying to get a gold on Para Los Rumberos (Chimp). Silver is easy, but the wacky beats at the end ruin me every time.

BuddyC

LakeEarth said:
Use the controller. It takes some getting used to, but it doesn't suffer the "clap doesn't register when you're hitting the bongo" problem.
Going against my own advice, I went and turned up the sensitivity for the mic in the options menu. Now that it's super-sensitive it never misses a clap when I hit the side of the bongos.

NWO

puck1337 said:
I just wish they'd included about twice as many songs.

Yeah me too.

Some of the songs are very annoying when you play them over and over. If they had more songs then I could probably tolerate them better. As it is right now I can only play the game until I get some stupid song stuck in my head and then I have to stop.

And could we see a sequel to this thing for next year? It shouldn't take them that long to make it.

Top Bottom