• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom movie turns into Resident Evil movie...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burger

Originally, the $70 million film was supposed to be helmed by Enda McCallion. Later, he was replaced by Andrzej Bartkowiak. Screenwriter Dave Callahan claims "everyone was keen to keep the game's atmosphere", though there are some "minor" changes done to the film's concept: The monsters have nothing to do with hell, the plot is not taking place on Mars and "space marines" are not well "space marines" as their outfits are more like SWAT team members.

The story follows eight marines, teleported into a command centre of a secret base on a remote planet. There, they learn that something strange is happening and soon monsters start to appear. The monsters aren't from hell, but rather people mutated by some nasty super-virus although the monsters look very similar to those in the game.

One character is a technician called "Pinky" who has a cybernetic wheelchair thanks to a bad teleporting accident. Pinky later mutates into something remotely resembling a creature from Doom 3. Producers claim that the film will be more of a horror than an action shooter.

There will be loads of shooting though, especially in the end where a large number of sequences will be shot purely in "first-person" perspective of the leading character (Karl Urban). The chainsaw and Bio Force Gun do appear in the film.

Uhh, why ?

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news04/041203i.php

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
Honestly, why is it so difficult to make video game movies? I really can't figure out how they fuck them up every time.

G4life98

why do game companies even sell their franchises, if they just gonna let film makers shit on them like this.

Zaptruder

Banned
bogg said:
Money? No that can't be it....

But if they make it so shit, the license takes a blow and devalues. It could devalue so much that it actually means less money for them in the long term if they wanted to continue milking it.

Phoenix

Prince of Space said:
Did anyone really think a Doom movie would be good anyway?

Yes. A well done Doom movie could have been good. I mean the XMen movies aren't exactly dealing with Shakespeare for goodness sakes!

The X-Men movies actually had a backstory to go off of. Doom is about a lone space marine fighting demons. That's the kinda thing Arnold used to do in the 80s. I just surprised people are so shocked by these changes. I mean, if a Metroid movie ever got off the ground, do you think it'd only be about one character by herself for the whole movie?

Morts

I mean, if a Metroid movie ever got off the ground, do you think it'd only be about one character by herself for the whole movie?

Uhh, I'm pretty sure a Metroid movie has gotten off the ground.

Mercurial

But X-Men has plenty of characters, depth and story due to the comics.

Doom has almost none of that.

They should just adapt the Doom comic. That would be awesome.

Phoenix

Prince of Space said:
The X-Men movies actually had a backstory to go off of. Doom is about a lone space marine fighting demons. That's the kinda thing Arnold used to do in the 80s. I just surprised people are so shocked by these changes. I mean, if a Metroid movie ever got off the ground, do you think it'd only be about one character by herself for the whole movie?

Then call it something else. Call it Resident Jack-asses or something. My biggest pet-peeve are these losers who suck so bad at coming up with stuff that they have to take someone elses franchise an bastardize it. If you're going to make shit - do it on your own, don't drag down something else in the process.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Phoenix said:
Then call it something else. Call it Resident Jack-asses or something. My biggest pet-peeve are these losers who suck so bad at coming up with stuff that they have to take someone elses franchise an bastardize it. If you're going to make shit - do it on your own, don't drag down something else in the process.
I see you played this:
180003b.jpg

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Originally, the $70 million film was supposed to be helmed by Enda McCallion. Later, he was replaced by Andrzej Bartkowiak. Screenwriter Dave Callahan claims "everyone was keen to keep the game's atmosphere", though there are some "minor" changes done to the film's concept: The monsters have nothing to do with hell, the plot is not taking place on Mars and "space marines" are not well "space marines" as their outfits are more like SWAT team members.

Heh, then it's not really a Doom movie, is it?

If they were smart, they'd just go off the books. Granted, the books were cheesy, but at least it's an outline and people know that they'll get standard popcorn fair.

Phoenix

Prince of Space said:

Doom is not just about a long space marine fighting demons. If you set it up right (as they did in Doom3) you actually have all the story and backstory you need. You can even go Judge Dredd with it and give the protagonist a sidekick, or a puppy. People love puppies. But to turn it into "The Ghosts of Mars II" is just retarded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom