• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Double Dragon 3D revival announced for PS5, Xbox Series, PS4, Xbox One, and PC (due out in 2025)

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire

Arc System Works has announced a new 3D Double Dragon game for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC, the latest issue of Weekly Famitsu reveals. It will launch in 2025.

According to the magazine, the new game faithfully reproduces the thrill of old school side-scrolling action games, with updated controls and difficulty settings for the modern era, and utilizing Arc System Works’ fighting game development experience. Jimmy Lee, Billy Lee, Roper, Abobo, and more will appear in stylish 3D.

Source - Gematsu

Update with a Famitsu page showing early screens:

GSInwbMaoAA2PnO

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
If it'll be anything like amazing Streets of Rage 4 in terms of quality - count me the fuck in. But I'll keep my expectations in check. Hopefully it won't be a disaster like Kill la Kill or DNF Duel🤞

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Odd to see a PS4 and Xbone release in 2025, but no Nintendo Switch 🤔 I can only assume this is coming out for the next Nintendo console.

Either way I'm looking forward to this one. As long as it has 4 player local co-op it's a day one purchase.

NT80

If Arc System are making it I'm very interested. I still need to play that Contra game they made. That seemed really good with some good new ideas introduced to the series.

Mobilemofo

If it'll be anything like amazing Streets of Rage 4 in terms of quality - count me the fuck in. But I'll keep my expectations in check. Hopefully it won't be a disaster like Kill la Kill or DNF Duel🤞
Agreed. I hope it's as good as dotemu's streets of rage 4. The OG Double Dragon has a special place in my ariated heart.

Holammer

I hope they give it a bright and colourful 90's anime look evoking the look of the original arcade, with Arc System involved I think it's going to happen. One of the few developers in the biz that can make it happen without resorting to pixel art.

No way in hell they're going to shit out an edgy Final Fight Streetwise.

CamHostage

A Double Dragon with the Guilty Gear graphical technology would be great

Problem with that, though, is that the Guilty Gear Xrd/Strive look (I assume that's the GG you're talking about) isn't powered by technology so much as it is hand-done work. Those 3D GGs are treated like keyframed cel animation using a live game engine; they go in by hand and pose the characters, move the lighting, and adjust the shading and effects for each controlled frame of movement. Characters are distorted and relit to look right in a flat view. There's no global illumination or motion tweening, instead much of what you see was posed that way by a person.

(*At least, that's the Xrd approach, I'm not sure what changes Strive made to the workflow.)

This way of 3D-as-2D works in GG because it is handled as a flat, side-on game. All the things which make a modern action game dynamic and varied are a problem for this system. The GG "technology" fails to work if the player expects the camera to be controllable at any point. There also can not be much of physics interaction because the game depends on predetermined movement rules. And exploration and level variety is limited since characters can't reflect most lighting changes or adjust to terrain.

A 2D sidescroller would make for a cool Double Dragon, if that's their idea of a "3D revival", and the GG method could work for that. (Ark Systems did 2d GGs in the past with its sprites, to varying degrees of success. ) Otherwise, this isn't going to work, there's no special engine to make more games looking like Guilty Gear.

Last edited:

Švejk

Banned
Weird... It looks oddly similar to the new Streets of Rage Sega revealed last year ...
Shoot, I'll take a renaissance of 3D beat'em ups. Still waiting on the Final Fight Remake that was in the big Capcom leak.

CamHostage

i hope it's not like the overrated Neon ! janky , slow and primitive

Slow, cumbersome, ugly, soulless...

I'm confused sometimes, when this sits comes up, about what people think a Double Dragon game should be?

The arcade originals were thunderously heavy and cumbersome (the winning strategy of at least the first game was to just abuse the clumsy elbow move,) and that was part of the appeal. The NES games were faster, but they weren't fast-paced, high-flying pummelers like Final Fight or even SoR. They were more about timing big hits than button tapping.

I think the series could have grown differently if it had not tapered off (and I personally think the NES games were the best of the franchise, particularly DD2.) However, I'm never quite clear what conversation I'm in when people say Super DD or DD Neon were bad Double Dragons, particularly when they say the problem is that they're slow. What's the missing element you feel other games in the series miss?

Last edited:

nikos

This has a lot of potential.

Something special and nostalgic about seeing screenshots from a magazine rather than a video but I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays.

I'm confused sometimes what people think a Double Dragon game should be? The arcade originals were thunderously heavy and cumbersome (the winning strategy of at least the first game was to just abuse the clumsy elbow move,) and that was part of the appeal. The NES games were faster, but they weren't fast-paced, high-flying pummelers like Final Fight or even SoR. They were more about timing big hits than button tapping.

I think the series could have grown differently if it had not tapered off (and I personally think the NES games were the best of the franchise, particularly DD2.) However, I'm never quite what conversation I'm in when people say Super DD or DD Neon were bad Double Dragons, particularly when they say the problem is that they're slow. What's the missing element you feel other games in the series miss?

You know what mate ? You're right, it's just that Neon was "slow" for all the wrong reasons, it felt like you were.moving underwater, hits didn't have "oomph", the lane/plane switching/traversal was shit and slow, the art-direction was abysmal etc etc.

Funnily enough, DD Gaiden rise of the dragons's gameplay is fucking fire, it's fast, it's flashy, hits have weight.to.them, the combo system/chaining is amazeballs etc etc, shame about the garbo chibi art-direction but...suppose you can't have everything 😉

I've only played the OG DD and DD2 in the arcades back in the day (the 80's that is) and never was a fan of the NES ones - the SNES one was good mind you.

dcx4610

Sigh. The one pic of hitting the ground with some kind of fireball type move. That's not Double Dragon. Just make a new IP if you are going to do stuff like that.

Yes, the cyclone kick is unrealistic but other than that, just make a beat em up with punches and kicks and cool fighting moves. This modern notion that you have to make things flash and over the top is so obnoxious.

CamHostage

Announcement "Trailer" is out... not a lot of gameplay, it's likely very early despite the 2025 release plan, more history and CGI than play, but it does show some of the special moves.

Also, it looks like Yuke's is the contracted developer or co-developer for ASW.

Last edited:
Top Bottom