• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driving while brown: NYC hijacking hundreds of cars driven by innocent motorists

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
After my stolen car was found, by a friend btw, NYC's finest part time Sherlock fuckin Holmes tried accusing me of insurance fraud while his partner did all the work taking my report. Why did he think I was lying? Because there was a small mark I couldn't explain.

A small mark of what? On what? What was the small mark?

BigDug13

Who the hell gave them this kind of property seizing power without due process? How has a court not shot this down by now? These guys aren't even law enforcement right?

The Cowboy

They just did a segment on it. They mostly focused on a case in Texas where there's a highway that's notorious for "Civil Asset Forfeiture." The cops there claim that you're involved in drug deals somehow and take your car. They showed that it happens all over the country too. http://ij.org/the-daily-show-takes-on-civil-forfeiture
Jesus Christ, just watched it - 5 billion (BILLION) dollars in civil fortitude profits, and that main person they spoke with getting the ultimatum of "give us the money or we'll take your children" is bloody terrifying.

Jesus Christ, just watched it - 5 billion (BILLION) dollars in civil fortitude profits, and that main person they spoke with getting the ultimatum of "give us the money or we'll take your children" is bloody terrifying.

And then it's up to YOU to prove that you're innocent

commedieu

Banned
If you have nothing to hide, you should have no problem waiting for the justice system to figure out whether or not their suspicion is correct.

big-brother-1984-620x350.jpg

Brothers...

Dude Abides

Banned
I believe this is the fault of our new Mayor more than anything. He has a vested interest with the Taxi unions to keep Uber and the other ride-sharing services out of the city.

Yes, these thousands of seizures through December 2013 mentioned in the article are clearly de Blasio's doing.

Who the hell gave them this kind of property seizing power without due process? How has a court not shot this down by now? These guys aren't even law enforcement right?

City council, presumably. There's nothing in the Constitution or state law that says only police officers have the power to seize property. Hopefully articles like this will lead to them losing this power.

Maximus.

Wow that's a ridiculous enforcement policy. Essentially taking someone's car for picking up and dropping off a human. No common sense or justice.

TarNaru33

Banned
Yeah, try reading the full article before you come here implying that anyone is reaching.

Take your own advice, bro. 7,000 cases and we only have a few out of those that deem it as racial profiling. You need more than a few quotes in these instances to prove it is racial profiling, especially considering thread title and highlighted parts of the article.

Anyways, NYC has 8 million people and millions of drivers. I agree that this policy has a massive amount of innocents being caught into it, but don't go acting like it is such a terrible figure.

massoluk

Banned
Wow, works in NYC, never heard about this fuck-up policy.
Amazing how a Taxi industry has so much power in NYC, they were also blocking carsharing venture thing.

To be fair, guys, it's not like a lot of minorities can actually afford vehicles. In many ways, it actually makes a lot of sense to go ahead and impound their vehicles, because, more often than not, I'm sure the vehicles are stolen anyways.

Actually, this probably creates good, decent jobs for many of the city's more honest races.

norealmx

Banned
OK, I get it, I will stay the heck out of the west coast.

The more I get to know how this country works, the more I think I was safer back in Mexico (no joking).

The more I get to know how this country works, the more I think I was safer back in Mexico (no joking).

With that kind of geographical knowledge, maybe you are better off in Mexico. NYC is the east coast, man.

The west coast is filled with nothing but sunshine, lollipops, weed and weed-lollipops.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit

But NYC is on the east coast?

Either way, this sounds horrible. Why do they have the power to SEIZE your property without even being law enforcement? If I was the dude with the pregnant wife being forced to walk home in the winter, I'd be suing for sure. Guess they'll fix it when somebody dies as a result of this stupidity. Maybe.

massoluk

Banned
I thought nobody drove in NYC because there's too much traffic.

I'm surprised in an episode of Family Feud, the category "What is method of transportation in NYC?" has Taxi Cab number one at almost 50%, with Subway in the seconds at 30s.
Family Feud staffs mustn't have polled New Yorkers.

Gallbaro

Banned
The recent TLC enforcement increase is an indirect result of the green cab program. Before green cabs these rules were not enforced because their was no other way to get a street hail in the outer boroughs.

As part of the green cabs, they hired a lot more inspectors as the stick for green cabs.

Famassu

Can't people do some class action law suit against these people CLEARLY bullshitting people? These are such blatant misuse of authority's power that shouldn't it be an easy win in court?

Chumly

I don't understand why they are allowed to impound the car on the spot. Also it's beyond ridiculous to make people pay money for something that they screwed up. In fact there should be a 2-3k penalty given to wrongly suspected people that have their cars impounded.

I still don't know why these people just can't peel off when there's a non-police asshole saying stupid shit about taking your car because it has drugs in it.

EDIT: The Daily Show segment show's it's actual cops doing this? WTF?

Zynx

So much preying on the defenseless.

Anyone given power should have oversight over them - AND consequences for the misuse of power.

Those that carry out unjustified seizures should really forced to pay restitution. But I have a feeling that it's not going to happen.

Are the people boasting about telling these guys to fuck off the same people who say not to question your rights when the police are violating them? Are you confident you could call the police in this incident and not end up in that selfsame "stop resisting! why are you resisting me?" situation?

Now that the practice has been brought to light, what will the people do? Living outside of America we hear all the sensationalist stories but none of the follow up. Will people get involved locally and organise letter writing campaigns, protests, media attention events?

It seems that all that happens in these situations is that people will tut and sigh on the internet, share the article for facebook ‘likes’ and shake their heads and roll their eyes while laughing at the satire shows who mention it, then just turn away and wait for next weeks outrage.

I really hope I’m wrong. I’d hate to think that people would let apathy or laziness stop them from opposing basic human rights infringements.

Don’t get me wrong, I see it in other countries too, but in America it seems to be on a whole other level.

smurfx

get some go again
why aren't lawyers suing the shit out of the city for this? how the fuck can you give some department power to impound any car they deem suspicious of being an illegal taxi cab?

No, but it might be the only one where employees of a taxi comission can legally steal your car and make you pay for it.

I am not saying what they are doing is right, but they are not stealing your car. Over 7000 cases and 176 of them turned out to be driving family members and got their cars back. Let's not get to anxious to portray America as Qatar.

Siegcram

I am not saying what they are doing is right, but they are not stealing your car. Over 7000 cases and 176 of them turned out to be driving family members and got their cars back. Let's not get to anxious to portray America as Qatar.
They are not law enforcement and take your car under bogus pretenses that you have to refute. And even if you prove your innocence you have to pay outstanding bills.

Does this sound like it belongs in the biggest metropolis on the planet?

commedieu

Banned
Yeah, I'm not rolling down my window unless I see a badge or a gun.

Problem with our militarized world, is that they would be arriving shortly, with badges and guns to take your car. And, wait... YOU"RE COMING RIGHT AT THEM!!!!

Hopefully you wont become a thread :\

entremet

The recent TLC enforcement increase is an indirect result of the green cab program. Before green cabs these rules were not enforced because their was no other way to get a street hail in the outer boroughs.

As part of the green cabs, they hired a lot more inspectors as the stick for green cabs.

The whole medallion system is pretty wacky and anti consumer.

andycapps

The more important number is that 1,442 cases were dismissed. So 20% of their cases were dismissed. That's a pretty damning statistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom