• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drones can carry people now, one step closer to the future

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaladin

160106181721-ces-2016-ehang-780x439.png

Chinese drone-maker Ehang has developed the 184, a prototype of the first autonomous drone that will fly humans.

The helicopter-like flying machine seats one, and after the flier enters the destination, it will require just two button presses from the rider: take off and land. That's all it takes to pilot the thing.

The 184 (one passenger, eight propellers, four arms), isn't ready to fly just yet. There are all kinds of government clearances that it will have to obtain before you can fly by drone to work. But Ehang says it is working closely with government agencies on the technology.

Once it goes into production, it will take off vertically (no need for a runway), and land similarly. When in the air, it's capable of speeds of up to 62 miles per hour. The 184 can travel up to 11,480 feet, and it's got a battery pack that's capable of 23 minutes of flying time.

It's tiny too: just 18 feet long. But it's actually capable of being smaller than that: it can be folded into a five-foot space, so it can fit right into a standard parking spot.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/01/06/tec...6-ehang-drone0420AMVODtopLink&linkId=20155268

One step closer to the aerial highways we've been promised for years in science fiction.

bigmf

A helicopter that can go just over two miles. Seems useful.

23 minutes until a two mile drop from the sky.

I like the part about no human controls whatsoever and if something goes wrong the manufacturer will take remote control just in case...

WTF #@#@#$@ %!!@!@#@#$#$$#

Bullshit I'm getting in a flying vehicle with no real time manual controls for backup safety...FUCK THAT.

How would it know to avoid buildings?

And if you enter your companys address/car park how would you be able to avoid crushing your co-workers car when you land

User 406

Banned
Hey, you whining-ass whiners always complaining about no flying cars, well there it is. Same principle as the self-driving car. The robot will do a better job of avoiding collisions and not doing basic stupid monkey shit. As if your no-pilot-license-having asses were gonna be allowed to fly one manually anyway, please.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Hey, you whining-ass whiners always complaining about no flying cars, well there it is. Same principle as the self-driving car. The robot will do a better job of avoiding collisions and not doing basic stupid monkey shit. As if your no-pilot-license-having asses were gonna be allowed to fly one manually anyway, please.

This is as much a flying car as those "hoverboards."

Kas

YES FUNCTIONING VTOLS!!!

The applications for this could be insane, and possible benefits huge.

But I can see this also being used for military applications, and that makes me sad.

You mean years of arcade helicopter cabinet controls haven't prepared me for this flying car future?...shit.

Mohonky

How would it know to avoid buildings?

And if you enter your companys address/car park how would you be able to avoid crushing your co-workers car when you land

You can already put sonar, radar and other devices on the smaller drones for crash avoidance, obviously something like that you want it to be pretty bloody good, but it's achievable. Beside that, it would be like actual air liners that cruise around at an allocated altitude to avoid other air traffic and terrain.

As to decapitating your co-workers....no idea.

this could start an entire new genre of helicopterdong and catdrones and squadrons of other lol-copters for the troll patrol.

These guys have already done a rat quad (I believe that was their first) and saw them trying to make a shark into a plane. I believe the last I saw they were turning a beaver or something into a remote submarine.

Madness

Singular VTOL's have long been thought of as a practical application in the military for a while. Beyond that, just imagine it being used for medical services or remote areas, being able to easily get to hard to reach areas. The fact it's autonomous is crazy.

Who knows what it'll be like in 20-30 years with self driving cars, self parking cars already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom