• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drones can carry people now, one step closer to the future

Status
Not open for further replies.

dubc35

Soon we will fulfill our destiny to be the fat, worthless humans in Wall-E.

rfTAIU1.jpg

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Yooooo, that means we're a decade away from personal drone helipads. Imagine, it lands on the helipad that has built in wireless charging function. I would totally rock this, go to work and back. I want the helipad I'm the roof. On the FOOKIN ROOF.

Hypron

This looks cool as a prototype but I don't see it becoming robust enough for actual usage until another 5-10 years or so. There are just so many things that can go wrong with a self flying machine transporting actual people.

No thanks...

Are you aware that DJI, the world's most successful (by far) consumer grade drone manufacturer is Chinese as well? And produces some very high quality product (that are also superior to what's made in the good ol' US of A).

Mohonky

Are you aware that DJI, the world's most successful (by far) consumer grade drone manufacturer is Chinese as well? And produces some very high quality product (that are also superior to what's made in the good ol' US of A).

Yeh but I wouldn't want to be in my self flying drone when it experiences a fly away.....

Husker86

This looks cool as a prototype but I don't see it becoming robust enough for actual usage until another 5-10 years or so. There are just so many things that can go wrong with a self flying machine transporting actual people.

You mean the one that sometimes flies away, ignoring user input?

Seriously though, I don't trust the software controlling any drones that are out so far.

akira28

These guys have already done a rat quad (I believe that was their first) and saw them trying to make a shark into a plane. I believe the last I saw they were turning a beaver or something into a remote submarine.

they must have really loved that shark, rat, and beaver....

Hypron

Yeh but I wouldn't want to be in my self flying drone when it experiences a fly away.....

You mean the one that sometimes flies away, ignoring user input?

Seriously though, I don't trust the software controlling any drones that are out so far.

It's not like other alternatives are any better which is what I was pointing out, they all have their quirks and failings (not excusing DJI's failures though). Just saying Chinese manufacturer = bad is stupid in this day and age.

Mohonky

It's not like other alternatives are any better which is what I was pointing out, they all have their quirks and failings (not excusing DJI's failures though). Just saying Chinese manufacturer = bad is stupid in this day and age.

I don't trust autopilot functions in any of them really, but for manual flight most are pretty damn rock solid.

Beside that yeh, everything comes out of China

Soon...

http://i.imgur.com/zeNaXdi.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

Cannot un-see the penis cannon on the front.

[quote="Husker86, post: 191556819"]You mean the one that sometimes flies away, ignoring user input?

Seriously though, I don't trust the software controlling any drones that are out so far.[/QUOTE]

Drones sure they need to mature but you do realise airbags, ABS, self parking, lane change assist, steering assist, collision braking assist etc etc are all on our roads en masse already right?

How about our airways? Commercial aircraft have very little human pilot time, like 5-15mins total time a human controls on near any length of flight. Many of the newer planes takeoff/land themselves as well.

I still hold firm in-vehicle manual overrides for emergencies are a must.

Mohonky

How about our airways? Commercial aircraft have very little human pilot time, like 5-15mins total time a human controls on near any length of flight. Many of the newer planes takeoff/land themselves as well.

There is a key difference though; an airliner still has a set of pilots behind the controls in case the autopilot malfunctions or is receiving incorrect data. The autopilot is there, but the ultimate responsibility is still the pilot. Hence even with drones (Multirotors) I tell people to learn to fly first before relying on auto software.

If one of those drones was in the air, I think I'd feel a lot better if I could take manual control of it and know others in the air could do the same while also being able to fly it.

Husker86

Cannot un-see the penis cannon on the front.

Drones sure they need to mature but you do realise airbags, ABS, self parking, lane change assist, steering assist, collision braking assist etc etc are all on our roads en masse already right?

I still hold firm in-vehicle manual overrides for emergencies are a must.

The software you speak of is a bit more robust than what consumer drone flight controllers are using.

Saw it at CES it had a lot of people taking pictures but seemed just a prototype or model.
It's really tiny inside with a bucket seat that suits a go kart.
20 minutes flight time isn't going to accomplish much.
The best in show award went to the new parrot fixed wing drone: because it is efficient and had a 45 minute flight time. Unless they fix the battery power/weight issue, helis are a bit of a dead end for cheap electric human flight IMO.

rjinaz

You all are crazy. This is awesome! Obviously there are some things they need to work on or somebody needs to work on. 23 minutes isn't much. But, I would guess it would get a fair amount of people to work without having traffic to deal with as long as you can charge it at work. I'm thinking of the future, maybe 20 years out, where everybody has a minicoptor instead of cars. Let's do it.

Aselith

Saw it at CES it had a lot of people taking pictures but seemed just a prototype or model.
It's really tiny inside with a bucket seat that suits a go kart.
20 minutes flight time isn't going to accomplish much.

Just enough time for you and your lover to join the mile high club before you drift back down to Earth.

Gusto

The perfect device to get away with murder. I'm not sure what happened officer, they just got on the drone and it disappeared. The drone must have had a malfunction.

BobLoblaw

Banned
You all are crazy. This is awesome! Obviously there are some things they need to work on or somebody needs to work on. 23 minutes isn't much. But, I would guess it would get a fair amount of people to work without having traffic to deal with as long as you can charge it at work. I'm thinking of the future, maybe 20 years out, where everybody has a minicoptor instead of cars. Let's do it.
People have proven that they can't drive for shit. Now you want them above your head AND on the road? And that's besides the fact that some people could use something like this to blow shit up.

Just enough time for you and your lover to join the mile high club before you drift back down to Earth.

The only way that is going to happen is if you manage to get the insertion going before take off because there is no space in this thing at all. Also the altitude recommended is 500m maximum.

Hypron

I don't trust autopilot functions in any of them really, but for manual flight most are pretty damn rock solid.

DJI's default flight modes are already pretty automated (moving the stick basically only changes the target position/speed that the quad will try to get to) which is probably where the issue comes from. They try to make everything easy to use, which is great when it works I guess but when it fucks up...

There is a key difference though; an airliner still has a set of pilots behind the controls in case the autopilot malfunctions or is receiving incorrect data. The autopilot is there, but the ultimate responsibility is still the pilot. Hence even with drones (Multirotors) I tell people to learn to fly first before relying on auto software.

If one of those drones was in the air, I think I'd feel a lot better if I could take manual control of it and know others in the air could do the same while also being able to fly it.

Yeah definitely. Airliners also operate in extremely regulated environments in order to reduce risks as much as possible. They also spend most of their time at an altitude so high there's almost no chance of encountering any obstacles.

The environments this manned octocopter would have to operate under would be a lot more challenging.

The software you speak of is a bit more robust than what consumer drone flight controllers are using.

Yeah, flight controllers for planes and rockets are probably among the most robust pieces of software around. Everything's tested to hell and back. From what I've been told on top of that a plane has several flight controllers running concurrently and constantly compares the output of all of them. That way you can detect if one starts fucking up and ignore it.

Your average DJI or Pixhawk flight controller is nowhere near that robust.

Tesseract

Banned
I wonder how crazy things will get when we crack the tech for really high capacity batteries.

with our periodic table finally getting successfully digitized, we'll see awesome crafting recipes spitting out before decade's end

people need to remember that the scientific method = guesswork
computers = filing cabinets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom