• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dropped frames with AVI records and Super Nes games with BizHawk

Hi everybody! :)

I have a little issue with the AVI recording with BizHawk (I have the last version), but just with the Super Nes games.
There is no problem with Genesis or Game Boy Advance games for example.

I tried different cores and different settings, but there are always dropped frames with the AVI files.

QhjiaJt.png

0CtYYCa.png

1QtGUNr.png

But it's always each 4 frames, sometimes 3 or 5, that there is a frame dropped in my records.

Strangely, I have no problem with Snes9x.

But Snes9x records with a framerate of 60.000 fps, whereas BizHawk records in the original framerate of 60.10 fps.

I know that there can be dropped frames when we play a video at 60.10 fps on a 60.00 Hz display, but there should not be dropped frames in the original record.

So, how could I fix this problem please?

Thanks for your help! ;)

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Can you upload a source video? We might be able to help diagnose it a bit easier.

Hi! Thanks for your answer! :)

In fact, the videos from BizHawk are at 60.10 fps with the Super Nes games. But I don't understand why there are a frame dropped every 4 frames.
As I said, I tried every cores and there is no issue with other consoles like Genesis or GBA.

I think clock throttle is for the sync adapted to the CPU of the original console.
Audio it's sync on the audio and VSync on the display.

I wonder if it's not specific to the console, because I tried with the last version of Snes9x with the Vulkan API and I'm doing the exact same observation.

And in this case, the records are directly converted to 60 fps, not 60.10 fps.

I tried with and without VSync, it's exactly the same thing.

I need to try on my desktop PC. For the moment I tried on my laptop.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Yes, I can! ;)

https://mega.nz/file/Pxc2WAKB#4n41OhRgs4EA8xWVpU5uN-zzb72sAMFjTuQOkCDSJzM

Thanks!

If you check it frame by frame with VirtualDub (I suggest to you to upscale the image 4X with a Nearest Neighbor filter to see better), you will see the dropped frames every 4 frames (sometimes 3 or 5).
wtf this is weird as hell. It's extra weird that it's not consistent, skipping on frame 3 and 5 every so often. Does this happen on other consoles in BizHawk? I've never tried recording from BizHawk before. Do you need to use the in-app recording of BizHawk, or can you use a 3rd party app like OBS or something to screen record?

Btw, I don't think it's a desync issue between 60 and 60.10, just cause that math doesn't check out. It seems more likely that it's a capture error, but I've never tried BizHawk's built-in capture.

Edit: Nvm about the other consoles, I just saw that you tried it already with Gen/GBA

Last edited:

Dacvak

Yeah dude, this is so niche that I'd guess you have more expertise on this particular issue than anyone else here. My suggestion would be to post this in the Digital Foundry or TASVideos Discord. If you want, I can run the same test on my PC later tonight to see if I get the same issue.

Thank you very much! ;)

But in fact, it's hard to see. It's why I tested on Super Mario World. When you walk normally in the game, each frame is moving from one pixel.

By the way, I tried to download a video of the same game on YouTube and I was surprised to notice the same thing.

But if it's the case for everybody, it seams strange that nobody noticed that before.

Dacvak

Thank you very much! ;)

But in fact, it's hard to see. It's why I tested on Super Mario World. When you walk normally in the game, each frame is moving from one pixel.

By the way, I tried to download a video of the same game on YouTube and I was surprised to notice the same thing.

But if it's the case for everybody, it seams strange that nobody noticed that before.
Is it only happening with SMW? Or do you get the skipped frames in other games?

I checked a 2nd video on YouTube and same issue! o_O

At 45:30 for example, you can check frame by frame with enemies which are moving pixel by pixel.

Or at 30:44 when mario enters the gate of the castle.
But the strange thing is that the gate moves from 1 pixel by 1 each frame, without skipping any pixel.

So, is the issue only horizontally? :unsure:

I discovered a thing I think :D

By the way, Castlevania IV is the perfect game to check because Simon Belmont can only walk :p

For the moment, it's the same thing with every videos that I checked on YouTube.
It's only for the Super Nes games.

Dacvak

I discovered a thing I think :D

By the way, Castlevania IV is the perfect game to check because Simon Belmont can only walk :p

For the moment, it's the same thing with every videos that I checked on YouTube.
It's only for the Super Nes games.
When you say it’s the same thing with every video, is that for videos recorded with BizHawk, or literally EVERY Super Nintendo video?

I checked 3 videos for the moment. It's already a good beginning! 😊
But yes, more investigation is needed ;)

It's impossible to say what some YouTubers used to record videos.

But for the moment, I tested BizHawk with D3D9 and OpenGL (with 4 different cores), and Snes9x with Vulkan.
Same problem!

For what it's worth - The scrolling in Super Mario World stutters slightly even on real hardware + CRT.
I don't understand why it's happening with every SNES game though.

Thanks for your answer! That's interesting! :)

Your video is at 60.099824 hz but according to some sources the SNES runs at 60.0988 hz

BizHawk is supposed to record with the original framerate, but yes, maybe it's differ a bit.
But in fact, even with 60.000 fps, even if it's a bit slower, there should be every frames in a record.

There is no problem with the other consoles.

I extracted some frames (I zoomed at 100% in 1080p) from this video:

It's from the TAS community.

I added a blue line and a red mark on each frame to better see (click on them too) how a frame is skipped every 4 frames.
The 1rst frame or frame 0 is of course a 4rth frame.

t1fd7Zk.png
VKmX4LB.png
rcpk3hg.png
vUni0jN.png
GENdonI.png
Ci3Hgu7.png
yyJ6Jql.png
nyJzknB.png
xx9C42t.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom