• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS and Revolution connectivity.

After reading the interview with Reggie on IGNCube, where he was asked a question about the DS and the possilbilities of connectivity between the other consoles. He said its(Revolution) certaintly possible and mentions that the console is capable of connecting to the console.

The obvious use would be to use the DS as a controller for the FPS genre, after watching the MP:H vids on GS. I felt more interested in playing a FPS with those type of controls. Specifically using the stylus to aim which brings it closer to kb and mouse control.

How about playing a game like ESPN NFL 2K5/Madden 2005, you have picked your play and has spotted a weakness in the defense. So in deciding to change up the formation a bit, without having to cycle through all your receivers you, can just tap on the touch pad with the stylus picking a receiver and putting him into motion. This can be applied to defense as well. Say your playing against someone with the Eagles, your worried about the deep pass to T.O. You want your best corner to play deep, assuming you got them in a 3rd and long situation. As like explained before with the use of the stylus, things become more intuitive, giving you a better chance of getting your defense set up the way you want.

It could work for RE4, the inventory screen would be on the touch screen, tap the icon with your thumb and move on.

Spike

I like this idea, if for nothing else but that it would seemingly confirm that the Revolutions controllers will be wireless.

cvxfreak

Perhaps the mystery port could also host the connection between the two systems. It would be a very nice idea.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Spike said:
I like this idea, if for nothing else but that it would seemingly confirm that the Revolutions controllers will be wireless.
Here's an idea... the revolution wont come with controllers... you'll use the DS as a controller! :O :O :O

CVXFREAK said:
Perhaps the mystery port could also host the connection between the two systems. It would be a very nice idea.

it doesn't need a cable, it has wireless, duh.

In fact, I'm already assuming revolution might not have controller ports, it will be all wireless, which will allow for more than 4-players on screen.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Date of Lies said:
In fact, I'm already assuming revolution might not have controller ports, it will be all wireless, which will allow for more than 4-players on screen.

Some of us have been predicting that for months ;)

aoi tsuki

Using the DS as a controller is slightly more appealing than using the GBA, which was novel at best. Four Swords was a neat game, and being able to play with three friends independent of one another was also... neat, but it's not something i would want to see shoehorned into other games. First off, the DS lacks true analog control. The touch screen is nice, and i'm sure it could be used as an analog controller for some games (like morph ball mode in MP: Hunters), but i don't see i replacing or even seriously competing with an analog stick in the majority of games. Then there's the simple lack of buttons on the DS compared to a standard controller. Again, the touch screen could come into play and improve the experience, but it lacks the tactility of a controller, plain and simple.

What i'm still waiting for is the ability to continue a game from a home console on a portable one, then continue your progress on the home console when you get back home. i mentioned this in a thread on the old GAF. It's the same thing functionally with PDAs. i can create a text document on my home PC, sync/convert it to the PDA and work on it on the go, then sync my PDA when i get home and continue on the PC. There's nothing that replicates that same functionality in the video game world. The GBA Player comes close, but it's not really taking advantage of the Gamecube to deliver a full experience you couldn't get on the GBA.

scola said:
Some of us have been predicting that for months ;)

If that's the case, the controllers should have lithium-ion rechargeable batteries, or else it would be a hassle to buy AAs for 4 controllers every time they wear out and people in general would rather stick to a cord controller than to have to replace batteries. But if that's the case, than it might not be profitable for Nintendo to make wireless, lithium ion equiped, rechargeable controllers.

miyuru

Some of you guys are getting a little carried away. Yes, the stylus is very intuitive, but if I'm forced to use the DS as a controller for a game like, RE4 or Madden as mentioned above, I'll be pissed. I'd rather use a more comfortable controller with a stick, etc..

Top Bottom