• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS Release Rumors

cvxfreak

Japan release: 5 November, 19000 yen
US release: 11 November, $179.95
Expected to ship 3 million before end of March 2005
11 games within the year in Japan
5-6 games at launch

Source: 2ch

An evil warning...

THESE ARE RUMORS AND SHOULD NOT BE TAKEN AS FACT. IF YOU TAKE THIS AS A FACT UNTIL THE FACTS ARE REVEALED THEN IT IS A FACT THAT YOU'RE STUPID.

GDGF

Soothsayer
It will be (by american launch anyway :))

Can't wait.

That's pretty freaking close to a worldwide launch, BTW. Oh we learned today in that other thread that Matrix has already begun shipping their new DS software medium in Japan, and everythings set for a wider rollout in the US this year. Looks like everythings going according to plan.

November 5th is my birthday. The day they were GOING TO release the GameCube. Now they announce the DS will be released on my birthday.

In Japan.

hjfhsdljkfdsfjklsdhfdsa

NINTENDOOOOOOOO

Bebpo

Banned
CVXFREAK said:
The only thing that worries me is the price; it might not be as friendly as Nintendo makes it out to be.

Yea, if they don't have games at launch taking good advantage of the networking and making real great use of the touchpad it'll be kinda awkward. I think a 5-6 game launch at near $200 after tax would be crazy unless those 5-6 games made awesome use of the system specific features. Otherwise it's just a portable N64 for $200 at launch >_<

Bebpo said:
Yea, if they don't have games at launch taking good advantage of the networking and making real great use of the touchpad it'll be kinda awkward. I think a 5-6 game launch at near $200 after tax would be crazy unless those 5-6 games made awesome use of the system specific features. Otherwise it's just a portable N64 for $200 at launch >_<

Super Mario 64 is all the N64 needed at launch. If the DS has five AAA titles from Nintendo it'll surely outpace the competition. And I think 3rd parties will pick up the slack.

Bebpo

Banned
evilromero said:
Super Mario 64 is all the N64 needed at launch. If the DS has five AAA titles from Nintendo it'll surely outpace the competition. And I think 3rd parties will pick up the slack.

But don't forget that SM64 had state of the art graphics for the time period.

GBA had fantastic looking 2d to it's advantage.

DS is going to try to hook people with it's features to divert attention away from the not that great graphics (yes from the demos I played at E3 the graphics were IMHO not very attractive. Please don't kill me).

I just think they're going in with a real disadvantage this time BUT the unique features of the system such as wireless networking are very strong points and I just think Nintendo needs to emphasize it's unique-ness upon launch. Especially since they are trying to bill the system as a 3rd pillar.

wazoo

They seem to be embarassed to put DS at a close price than the GBASP because they want 2 sources of income and not replace the SP by the DS. 179$ is a bit high but can not be evaluated without knowing the PSP price also.

Keio

For a Finer World
I think they'll drop the GBA SP price this summer and go for a $149 DS. At least I hope they do. Perhaps it would be a good time to do a $179 bundle with a GC&GBA and Four Swords :)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I'd not be surprised at any of this. $179 seems plausible given that there's some pricey tech in there. 6 launch games in Japan seems very very possible.

Deg

Banned
JC10001 said:
Bomb bomb, if true.

$179 for a DS is ridiculous. And only 5-6 launch games?

You were expecting a GBASP like price?

Some people amaze me in the wrong ways :p

I'd bet on a $224.99 price at launch.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
I don't see what's wrong with 5-6 launch games.

The price is fine, when converted to pound sterling. Of course, I realise that if something costs £100 over here, the equivalent in the US is seen as outrageous.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Here is a nice thread to make price predictions on the DS I guess.

I say $149.95 sounds about right (which should keep the GBASP at the 99 dollar level around christmas, unfortunately)

wazoo

As I said, the DS can not be at 149$ unless they lower the GBASP, which is an acceptance that DS is the successor to the SP, something they will not acknowledge until after they know if the DC is a success.

At $180 the thing better be pretty damn awesome.

But they'll probably have trade in deals with GBASP. Then you get a DS for like $129

Nintendo Ate My Children said:
$179.99 with 3 million sold before the end of the fiscal year?

I'm having more Virtual Boy flashbacks.

Me too. Along with the 100 developers and quality line-up.

Oh wait....

Remember those old USENET Jaguar/3DO flamewars where each side would trot out their hundred-fold lists of developers supporting and purportedly developing new content for the respective systems?

No, you probably don't.

wazoo

Drinky Crow said:
Remember those old USENET Jaguar/3DO flamewars where each side would trot out their hundred-fold lists of developers supporting and purportedly developing new content for the respective systems?

No, you probably don't.

100 games for the jaguar ??

There were well over 100 developers and twice that many games PLANNED for the Jaguar before launch -- I think they even got noncomittal nods from Capcom and Konami.

jarrod

Banned
Drinky Crow said:

No, you probably don't.
Well, I certainly don't remember a significant announced game list being attatched to said developer support lists. ;)

Nintendo also handed out a 40 some developer list for VB back in the day. Konami, Namco, Capcom, Square, Bandai and Enix were among them... but at least for DS all those have already announced multiple software releases rather than just vague support.

jarrod

Banned
Drinky Crow said:
There were well over 100 developers and twice that many games PLANNED for the Jaguar before launch -- I think they even got noncomittal nods from Capcom and Konami.
I don't remeber anything of the sort. Though Acclaim and Midway did pledge support iirc, that was about as high profile as Jaguar got. You might be think 32X for Capcom & Konami support that never materialised (DarkStalkers and Castlevania were both in the works, then moved to PlayStation).

Memles

Man...I have to wonder whether the launch's timing will work to Nintendo advantage or disadvantage. If it launches Mid-November, the influx of Nintendo-based advertising could either a) boost thier other software markets by marketing the Nintendo name further, along with DS advancement in the market or b) get lost in the madness that will be Halo 2's launch.

Either way, at that price it will end up at about $230 Canadian. Whether or not I bite at that will depend on my financial situation at the end of the year. And, in all honesty, if any first party or thrid party games support WiFi Play over long distances. I'll be in, I believe, one giant "Hotspot" between September and April for the next four years, and it would be a great feature to use. It would actually alter my buying strategy...it hurts me to say something so trivial in the end actually matters to me. Sigh.

Top Bottom